Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch

New hammock help

I am looking hard at dream hammocks but can't seem to decide what to do. My current set up is an eno double nest for reference.

I seem stuck on what size fabric to get and whether or not to get the sparrow or thunderbird.

I'm not a huge guy. I'm about 5'10" 180. I find I have a lot of extra fabric just in my face on the double nest so maybe a normal width is the way to go? Help?!?!?

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    One thing to keep in mind is the side pull outs. They make a huge difference on keeping it away from your face. I have them coming on my new SLD. My next hammock on my purchase list is a sparrow. I wan't the 4 season option at some point.....just need to fill up my piggy jar again.

But in either case. You can not go wrong with dream hammocks.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    If you like DH, you should also have a look at Little Shop of Hammocks' Warrior Edge, outstanding service, quality and innovation.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    Does anyone have any insights into the difference between the sparrow and thunderbird?

edit:

nm, found a thread on it, now I'm more confused. . .
    Last edited by jcblough; 08-15-2016 at 14:36.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The difference is in the way they zip.

The T-bird has 2 zippers, one on each side that UNZIP from the head to the feet. If you want to remove the zipper in the middle of the night to make a tree visit, you have to reach up over your head, grab the appropriate zipper and unzip to exit.

The Sparrow also has 2 zippers, one on each side, but the zippers are separating zippers. This means the zipper has 2 pulls which meet in the middle and separate from each other. This allows you to just poke your hand through were the zippers meet and separate them to exit the hammock.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockCanoe View Post
    If you like DH, you should also have a look at ...
    No, if jcblough likes DH, he's definitely in the right sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    The difference is in the way they zip.

The T-bird has 2 zippers, one on each side that UNZIP from the head to the feet. If you want to remove the zipper in the middle of the night to make a tree visit, you have to reach up over your head, grab the appropriate zipper and unzip to exit.

The Sparrow also has 2 zippers, one on each side, but the zippers are separating zippers. This means the zipper has 2 pulls which meet in the middle and separate from each other. This allows you to just poke your hand through were the zippers meet and separate them to exit the hammock.
    Just to clarify:

The TBird's zippers are separating also and allow for the netting to be removed (and replaced, if desired, with an overcover.)

The Sparrow has two separating zippers per side that meet in the middle. Tops can be swapped or removed.

The other hammock that can allow for sliders meeting anywhere in the middle is the DangerBird with extra sliders installed. That top (or tops, if you get both) cannot be totally removed, only retracted.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-15-2016 at 20:21.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    I have a Sparrow. I have side pull outs on it, but the bug net stays out of my face even when I'm not using them. Im glad I got them because they're handy in the wind too. Having zippers on both sides is the greatest thing ever. I'm 5'8" 145# and I have an 11'. I love it.
    Being able to have the bug net, or leave it off, or use the over cover is really great.
    They're happy to answer questions, and quickly.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    between the Tbird and the Sparrow, I'd go sparrow...again. The fancy zipper makes a huge difference in convenience and midnight nature calls as mentioned above. Not to mention if you're attacked by a zombie sasquatch you can bail out either side rather quickly. Just sayin'. Allow me to take this opportunity to post a gratuitous pic of my sparrow because, well, it's awesome!!! 20151127_113259_zpssix0uvdj.jpg
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts