Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp

Gear Best Hammocks

This started out as a look at Gear Best's Free Soldier Multifunctional Tent Hammock but the link shows all their products and there are some interesting items so I modified the subject line.

I bought the canvas Gear Best hammock based on the Ultimate Hang review. I left it in my mom's house in Caracas. It's on the small side (and I'm only 5') but I slept fine for six nights. Better for youths. No netting but only $27 or so.

Any comments on this Free Soldier Multifiunctional one? (No hits on forum search) Tap on photo to show what's included.

Unusual video by a self-proclaimed novice. She says to tie it tight so you won't sleep like a banana. Would a diagonal lay be possible if hung with a sag?

At $46 it might be a good beginner hammock. Any comments?

http://m.gearbest.com/hammock-sleeping-bags-c_11492/

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Kind of hard to tell what you have there from the links. Looks to be another cheap china sling. You can usually count on those running a bit too short and narrow, for a good nap, let alone a decent nights sleep when you need it most.

The FSM seems a bit "gimmickey" for want of a better descriptive term. The result looks like a hammock/biv that in the end doesn't provide suitable weather protection, or promote any form of diagonal lay. I would not relish stringing a separate tarp up between and around the four additional support lines that work the spreader bar system on the bugnet.

Unless someone else can come up with a first hand review to the contrary, I would run, not walk away from this one.

Talk to Dutch or AHE. Both have solid "starter" set ups available, for what you want. When trying to get someone interested in hammock camping, it's always best to get them into a "quality" if not over expensive kit. Too narrow, too short, too cold, too confining, too finicky to set up or tear down. Any or all that can turn a novice off, or provide a bad night for someone you are trying to show better.
    Signature suspended

Kinda odd that they don't show a it setup as a tent in the picts or the video. Surely it can be hung with a bit of a sag and you can lie diagonally in it. Price sounds great. I'd want to add a little hardware to those straps though so I didn't have to deal w/ knots to make adjustments. I wonder why they went with more of the solid material on the top of the tips instead of netting?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Gearbest sent me a hammock to review and while it is a nice hammock it is way to short for anyone except a child
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Tx for the comments. Rollof, sorry I have the wrong impression. I have a Switchback original,
    3 Dutch hammocks (including the Half Wit) of different lengths, DD Hammocks ultralight set, Treklight double, 15' double Mayan, and a few other cheapies.

That said, I went ahead and ordered several things from Gear Best. I had a Terrible time with the website. Every time I added something to the basket and went back it pushed me to the home page. Then I had issues with logging in and password not working and then losing everything in the basket. I spent a ridiculous amount of time until I finally got everything I wanted. Crazy prices. Yes, cheap stuff from China. Like much of the stuff I buy at Walmart etc. This seems to be cutting out the middleman.

I ordered a hammock (for $29 - a flash sale with only 23 hours left then), 2 cute hanging lamps, 2 hanging lanterns, 2 blue collapsible 5L water jugs/containers (think Platypus),
    a backpack cover, a set of 5 elastic loops, and 5 wire tightening rings/loops (to tie zippers together when traveling). All of this for $60 (!!) shipping included!!! They have a Lucy lantern lookalike for less than $8.

The hammock has end hoops for keeping the built-in mosquito net elevated (think Lawson but with a sagging bottom so won't be tippy). Couldn't resist for $29! I want it as backup (in case I have to go to ground) for Florida kayak River camping. I'm only 5'.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I couldn't copy the link (and I couldn't find search function either)
    But it's the "2-Person Anti-mosquito Parachute Nylon Hammock"

In Sports and Outdoors>>Camping and Hiking>>Hammocks and...

There are 39 pieces left and 13 more hours on the flash sale.

I just discovered that when u click on the description (.850 kg (1.874 lbs) there are ab 5 photos below, including in tent form. There are two 5-star reviews (not in English).

The hammock comes with 2 "hooks" and 2 ropes (the one in original post comes with straps). It folds into its own pocket. I'll report back.

They have warehouses in NYC and LA but I fully expect direct shipment from China that will take a few weeks for delivery.

• + New Posts