Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Yeah, I have a screaming vixen who always ruins my sleep as well. Earplugs don't seem to help.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 08-24-2016 at 12:56.

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    I live in the sticks and so if it's quiet at night (no natural sounds) I'm a little on edge.
    I say go with what works for you. You can take them out if it's too quiet.

Have you ever thought about hanging a few night in the house just before a trip to "acclimatize"?

Bears like deer can walk amazingly quiet. The snorting, farting and lip licking and grumbling at cubs are probably loader than walking noises. Just ask a hunter how they seam to appear like ghosts when you're in a tree stand in the evening.
    Last edited by woodstove; 08-24-2016 at 12:08. Reason: punctuation

I considered these during my trip to CO last year but wound up not going with them. It's a tough dilemma because you want to hear but then again yo u don't.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Between snoring hiking partners that sound like chainsaws and whippoorwills that go all night I consider ear plugs a must. The last time I forgot mine I came very close to jail time for assault of the guy snoring away 10 feet from me.
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I would never have been for it. Not sure why, but usually after a day with scouts or hiking or both, if its cool enough falling asleep is not an issue. Staying asleep has more to do with if I have to pee. Last camping trip it was medium rare outside and I was sticky and hot so I was up late. I had earbuds in and was listening to music and fell asleep. woke up in the morning later then usual because the buds were still in and the boy noise was reduced. I may need to give this more experimenting. I bet ear plugs would do better then buds.

I have never tried sleeping with ear plugs but I am a very light sleeper. For those that use these does the pressure on your ear canal bother you? Do you cut them shorter for sleeping? Seems like they would drive me crazy but I may have to give them a try.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    I probably sleep the best when I am in the woods. The sounds are very comforting and soothing to me. It is like coming home. But that wasn't always the case.

When I was a kid a friend told me about bigfoot. Shortly thereafter I went camping with my scout troop and I woke up at about 3 am. My ears starting straining to hear what was out in the woods. Every once in a while there would be a leaf falling or something rustling. In my mind it was bigfoot sneaking up on me. Each sound was one step closer! Ahhhh! He was a crafty son of a gun. I was paralyzed with fear! I am not sure if earplugs would have helped, but I think probably not. The problem was in my head.

Now that I am grown I realize that there aren't any monsters out there. I, as a human adult male, am probably the most fearsome predator in the woods*. I don't look for trouble and it doesn't look for me. That knowledge, and the beautiful sounds and smells of nature, makes for peaceful sleeping.

* as far as the other animals know
    Last edited by BanjoPicker; 08-30-2016 at 13:12.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    We went camping with BSA this weekend & I decided to not bother with the plugs.

Scouts were hooping & hollering at 5am answering whatever was hooting and yodeling in the woods. Turns out there was a Bear in addition to an owl and Fox/ wolf/something.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last week, A sheep dog charged me at 3 am, while I was asleep in my hammock.

Luckily, I heard him running, woke up faster than any other time of my life, drew my pistol at him and shouted loud as I could. I scared him off. There is no telling what he really would have done, but he was running right at me. I don't think it would have gone over very well if I had my ears plugged.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have never used ear plugs. I like to hear what I need to hear. After you have camped in the woods for a long time, your brain just knows what sounds are okay and which ones are not. This is a part of our ancient Human roots. I sleep very well. A sound such as something walking through dry leaves wakes me instantly. I then listen to see if large or small, four (or two) legged and if it sounds like hooves or softer pads. Some sounds I want to hear so that I can just listen to: owls, coyotes howling, beaver tails slapping the water, night hawks. The first time people sleep where it is truly quiet, they do get pretty freaked out (I did and I am from a rural area), because we rarely get to "hear" what quiet is.
    Most nights, I do not wake up. I do rarely sleep in campgrounds & I backpack solo about 80% of the time, so other people are most generally not an issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast