Warbird Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Superfly, Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I'm new and with new comes stupid questions! Trying to buy a tarp!

I just ordered the warbonnet 1.7 double xl hammock. It is an 11ft hammock. I want a tarp with doors that will fit an 11' hammock. Id like to stay under $150 but I dont have to. What I am having trouble understanding is what size do I need. I do want to do a ridgeline so assuming I have it set at 83% length, my hammock should be just over 9 ft. If I am even calculating that right? So what is the minimum size tarp I should get? And any suggestions of tarps with doors would be greatly Appreciated!

JJ

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    our cottage vendors can make great tarps and can certainly make whatever you need. I'm looking at the winter haven myself, but that will come in time. As for ridgeling. just remember a 11ft hammock, needs 110in ridgeline. (for most). Some like a little shorter, or a little longer....adjustable ridgelines are for them. but most will find the 110inch ridgeline is perfect.

With that said, if you wish to have a practice tarp. Kelty Noah 12 is huge, cheap on amazon (52 or 53) and you can practice several upon several different setups.

With all that said, Dutchware.....i don't want to sound like an addict.....but i am......his tarp suspensions are the bomb. Waiting on my second order now to come in. and i am already planning my next order.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Could have/should have just ordered a Superfly when you ordered the hammock. 11' hammock=11' tarp For setting it up, warbonnet also has a great video on their website.

Why not ask the vendor you bought the hammock from BEFORE you bought it??

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would recommend a 12 foot winter tarp like the SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/213
    or the Old Man Winter tarp or the tarp that Warbonet sells the SuperFly
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/superfly/
    These are all good tarps and good manufactures. The SimplyLightDesigns tarp is one of the fastest shipping tarps available.

Oh and as the teacher used to say there are no dumb questions just dumb people

Hammock
    Warbird Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Superfly, Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did look at the tarps from warbonnet.com as well when I ordered the ridgeline. I looked at the SUPERFLY and would have bought it right there on the spot EXCEPT FOR 1 REASON. It says in there tarps 101 link that the superfly doors will only close 90% of the way with the ridgeline hammocks. And being I'm trying to buy my first setup with no experience im nervous.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by just JJ needed 5 letters View Post
    I did look at the tarps from warbonnet.com as well when I ordered the ridgeline. I looked at the SUPERFLY and would have bought it right there on the spot EXCEPT FOR 1 REASON. It says in there tarps 101 link that the superfly doors will only close 90% of the way with the ridgeline hammocks. And being I'm trying to buy my first setup with no experience im nervous.
    That's Ridgerunner Hammocks - which are the Warbonnet bridge hammock line. They have spreader bars which get in the way of the tarp closing down in storm mode all of the way, hence that warning. Perfectly understandable misread.

The Superfly can close down nice in tight around either the WBBB or the WBBB XLC in nasty weather, no worries there.

If your order hasn't shipped yet, I'm sure you could probably get in touch with them and have them add it to the order. You would qualify for a $10 Hammock/Tarp combo rebate as well, so I'd be sure to ask about that.

Or you could go with another tarp maker. Wilderness logic, UGQ, and a few others all make solid tarps comparable to the Superfly, though you'd be tough to find a tarp more popular than the Superfly.

Superfly or UGQ Winter Dream. The Superfly is great! UGQ gives you fabric and color options, among other things.

The combined shipping and $10 might influence your choice as well...

And, yes, 11' should be just fine.

Hammock
    Warbird Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Superfly, Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oh thank you silentorpheus! That was a stupid misread. I dont know all the terms and styles yet and I guess I just got mixed up. I only ordered the hammock an hour ago so I will indeed try to get ahold of them and see if I can get it added with the $10 off. Thank you TominMN. Color chouces would be nice too!

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    our cottage vendors can make great tarps and can certainly make whatever you need. I'm looking at the winter haven myself, but that will come in time. As for ridgeling. just remember a 11ft hammock, needs 110in ridgeline. (for most). Some like a little shorter, or a little longer....adjustable ridgelines are for them. but most will find the 110inch ridgeline is perfect.

With that said, if you wish to have a practice tarp. Kelty Noah 12 is huge, cheap on amazon (52 or 53) and you can practice several upon several different setups.

With all that said, Dutchware.....i don't want to sound like an addict.....but i am......his tarp suspensions are the bomb. Waiting on my second order now to come in. and i am already planning my next order.
    I too am waiting (attempting to be patient) on my second Dutchware order. And this week i received my Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 from Amazon. and let me tell you as everyone esle probably will it's huuuge.... Multiple ways to set (including doors). gonna be some good hanging this fall and winter!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Warbird Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Superfly, Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ok I see where I screwed up and now I really screwed up. I ordered my hammock from the "Travelers and no net Ridgeline" section of the page. I did order a ridgeline. Whick is not at all what I want! I wanted a regular hammock which based on the picture at the like to the "travelers and no net ridgeline" section is what I thought I was getting. Now I have to contact them and cancel my order and start all over. Uggggg! Thank you everyone for the help. And yes I have been also looking at the kelty noahs 12 even before I posted this. I wanted to make sure that was the right size. Im a little concerned about the pack size as well as I plan to backpack a few nights with it and I need to be carefull with pack space.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast