Thread: Telescopic rod?

Telescopic rod?

I ordered a Clark Outdoor 2 person hammock yesterday and it's on the way. My question is if I cannot find a 2 trees near the head and need to use a rod, I'd like something very light and compact. I'll be backpacking in the woods for 3 days, so trying to carry light as possible. Wondering if anyone knows where I could get a carbon fiber telescopic or threaded rod to spread the head of the hammock if necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Is that possible? I thought the Vertex always required three trees.

The website even says, "The Vertex hangs from three supports."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looks like you'd need a pretty long rod, and it would need to be beefy too. Not sure what you're envisioning would work. Let us know what you come up with.

Clark Outdoor emailed me a few days ago about customers using an aluminum rod 4 feet wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma86 View Post
    I ordered a Clark Outdoor 2 person hammock yesterday and it's on the way. My question is if I cannot find a 2 trees near the head and need to use a rod, I'd like something very light and compact. I'll be backpacking in the woods for 3 days, so trying to carry light as possible. Wondering if anyone knows where I could get a carbon fiber telescopic or threaded rod to spread the head of the hammock if necessary.

Check out Ruta Locura (dot com). They have carbon fiber poles with and without adjusters. They also make carbon fiber speader bars that replace the stock Ridgerunner spreader bars, for around half the weight.

If you are doing a spreader bar like on a bridge hammock, it should be a fixed length. Why the need for adjustment?

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    I'd just use a folding saw and cut a stout piece of wood as long as it's legal where you hang.
    You might look at something from the climbing or rescue world but it will be expensive I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    Check out Ruta Locura (dot com). They have carbon fiber poles with and without adjusters. They also make carbon fiber speader bars that replace the stock Ridgerunner spreader bars, for around half the weight.

If you are doing a spreader bar like on a bridge hammock, it should be a fixed length. Why the need for adjustment?
    4feet is too long to carry for backpacking, thx for the site.

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    A good, solid, hardwood walking stick (old schoolsingular trekking pole) are usually 6' or a little less and should work.
    I use one as an anti dog, ice thickness, puddle water depth, checker as well as a walking staff.

Just thinkin out loud here.

• + New Posts