Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Howdy! + some newb questions

Howdy, hammock-folk!

I'm joining y'all from the great state of Texas and have a few questions as I'm considering getting in to hanging.

I've been doing tons of reading and research, and watched many Shug videos, so I have a basic grasp on what my setup would be. But my dilemma is whether to invest in a new hammock set up, or get a lightweight tent like the REI Quarter Dome 1.

Cost is a concern, and it seems like the REI QD1 would win that battle, especially if I time the purchase during the 20% off coupon period or can find one at a Garage Sale.

If I go with a hammock system, I will buy from Dutch and probably get a Warbonnet Superfly.

My primary locations will be Texas (trips planned to Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains), Western US (Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Zion, Arches, etc.), PNW (Crater Lake, Ranier, Glacier). So it would need to fit all of those conditions.

Another issue is that I don't want to make any changes to my sleep system to keep costs down. My current set up is the Sierra Backcountry Bed, and I have a regular Klymit inflatable pad and the insulated version.

So I would love any advice from the experts here!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't have any advice on tent camping, but pads can slip around, and you have to deflate them to work in a hammock. Some people get a double layer hammock (Dutch sells them) to try and manage the pad better, but an underquilt is infinitely more comfortable.

I don't know much about the Sierra Backcountry Bed, but it doesn't look like it could be used as a topquilt (as many folks do when using ground sleeping bags in a hammock). There's nothing quite as funny as watching someone try to get into a sleeping bag while inside a hammock. I have a friend who also has tried to adapt his ground setup to a hammock with comical results. Not only does he have a sleeping bag designed for the ground, but he also uses a bivy inside the hammock. It's quite funny watching him spend five or ten minutes getting situated in his bivy and sleeping bag.

It doesn't sound like you are particularly committed to converting to hammock camping, be it cost or whatever reason. If there's half-hearted commitment, you might be better off just sticking with a tent and look at hammock camping when funds become available. It would be a shame to waste time and money on something that might not be for you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    As SS stated above, hammock camping isn't for everyone. That said, IMO it is infinitely more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

I do know people who use a pad and sleeping bag in their hammock and do just fine, so don't let that hinder you from trying it out. That said, I'm convinced that for max comfort an underquilt is the ticket, so I agree with SS there as well.

If you don't mind sleeping on the ground, maybe a tent is the way to go. If, like me, you find that just the thought of a night on the ground makes you sore, then my advice is get a hammock.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the Hammock forums. If you get a chance to possibly visit a group hang in the next few weeks it's one of the best ways to see what you may like and possibly test what you have been missing.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you can't find a compelling reason to leave the ground, then don't. I actually started looking at hammocks to have a place to sit at camp and also to have a better setup for hot conditions. So far, a month in I'm glad I made the choice. Still learning how to setup everything right. We've had a crazy heat wave here and I'm still having some issues sleeping because of that, but I'm sure I would be much worse off in my tent right now. I can't wait until it gets a little cooler. The hammock feels so comfortable. Can't wait to be sleeping better.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Well as a recently reformed ground dweller. and new accolyte of the trees i feel that i should put in my $.02.

Background: I've camped and backpacked since the early 90s ALWAYS in a tent. I took about the last 5 years off to start and enjoy a family. this past Christmas i felt the pull of the woods. So I replaced some gear. Brand new big Agnes Fairview 2 tent and a new SL aircore. Long story short a couple trips later and i was once again HOOKED. If you do go the tent route then i urge you to get at least a 2 person tent. As it would be large enough for you and your gear. a Solo tent does not give you hardly any room to maneuver in.

As a fathers day present i was given a $20 amazon parachute hammock to "try" out. After 4 trips with it, the thought of going back to my tent is dreadful. I'm on a third setup (because i love to tinker) ordering a Half-wit at the end of the week, a KAQ UQ is being assembled, and a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 is set to be delivered on Thursday.

The final choice is up to you HYOH. But personally i have never slept as well as i do in a hammock out in the piney woods.

The easy conventional choice would be a tent, but please don't sell yourself short and not give a hammock a fair shot.

~Pickl
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    You may find that there are places you have listed that are more difficult to hammock in (eg above tree line out west, desert locations, etc.). The cost of a hammock setup for year-round camping may be higher if you want the option of using more than one loft of underquilt and topquilt as conditions get colder. For ground dwelling your sleeping insulation costs are less. If you find that you sleep comfortably on the ground, it can also be the lightest option, especially in colder temps. Personally, after trying lots of options in lots of conditions, I really like a hammock in warmer months and ground-dwelling in the winter. In between I can go either way.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    My advice is to wait until you get tired of sleeping on the ground...It sounds like you're not ready to commit just yet. Get yourself a cheap hammock to experiment with in the yard first...

Thank y'all for the responses! Very, very helpful.

I ended up finding an article where a guy was using the Backcountry Bed in his hammock. So it seems doable, but he was also using an underquilt. The BB is kind of tweener mummy bag/top quilt and has a pad sleeve on the bottom to keep the pad in place. Really great bag! Here's the article in case anyone is interested:

http://www.westroke.com/blog/2014/11...season-review/

My next trip will be half car camping, half backpacking so I may just get a full ENO or Kammok set up from REI to test it out, since I can just return it afterwards.

Thanks again for the responses!

So, new question.

A friend is upgrading gear and has offered to give me his Kammok Roo free of charge. Just the hammock, though. No suspension.

I don't really want to get the Kammok python straps since they seem heavy and bulky. I know a lot of hammockers use whoopie slings. Are there any significant advantages to whoopies vs a cinch buckle suspension? I assume whoopies or cinch buckles will work with the Kammok by just slipping one end into the Kammok's carabiners? If I go with whoopies, are 6' tree straps sufficient, or are 8' a better bet?

As far as tarps go, I know the Warbonnet tarps are popular here. Are there any thoughts on Kammok's new Kuhli tarp? Looks like it's pretty even weight-wise with the Warbonnet Superfly. It's 12x9 and has a similar "full storm mode" with doors. 16 guy-out points with included guy lines.

Here's a link to the specs: http://kammok.com/pages/Kuhli-details. It's expensive, but I have the opportunity to get it for a bit less than the price of the Warbonnet Mambajamba. What do y'all think?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast