Thread: summer quilts?

summer quilts?

I own HG top and under quilts and a WM uq. All 20*-30* rated. Been contemplating a strictly fast and light summer set up. Anyone own or have experience with Loco Libre's operator series top and under? Looking for some in field feed back, durability, accurate temp rating, experiences, stories, etc.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images

Thumbs up

There is a review of it from kitsapcowboy:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ero-Underquilt

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think your 30 degree quilts would be fine. Remember, most the weather reports are for "the city" and nighttime temperatures may be colder "out there". You could look at 40 degree gear and save a few ounces. But I'd rather be sure I'll have a good night's sleep. I use my 40 degree gear for sleeping outside at home, and for day hikes. But unless I'm really, really sure of night time temperatures and wind conditions, I'd go for the 20 - 30 degree range; especially with the UQ.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J.young View Post
    I own HG top and under quilts and a WM uq. All 20*-30* rated. Been contemplating a strictly fast and light summer set up. Anyone own or have experience with Loco Libre's operator series top and under? Looking for some in field feed back, durability, accurate temp rating, experiences, stories, etc.
    If you are really into 'fast and light' — which is code for UL — a very lightweight pair of quilts is must-have for a UL kit for summer weather... dependending on location, of course... as noted, there are places that get pretty darn chilly even in July and August. One of the coldest, most miserable nights I ever spent in the woods was in Shining Rock Wilderness (NC) in early August of 1981. That kind of misery is never forgotten.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    I'm sort of in the exact same situation. My pack has been way too heavy for way too long and I decided to finally do something about it. I ordered a 20 degree upper and under from UGQ. If I'm too hot, I'll just gap the uq, I should never be too cold with this setup from about May through November here in Michigan. I originally had 0 degree upper and under quilts, but between the bulk and the weight savings, I decided a 20 degree setup would be better. Maybe if funds become available, I'll do a 40 degree setup, but with the temperamental weather here in Michigan, I'm a little hesitant in going so warm.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a JRB Sierra Stealth......http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/sierra-stealth/
    40º/45º rating. Sewn thru baffles. Can wear like a serape in case weather gets chilly. Dual purpose!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by J.young View Post
    I have an Operator Series underquilt and two Operator Series Top Quilts from Loco Libre and like them a lot. And, yes, they do pack up really small! Been using mine over a year. Just as durable as my Hammock Gear quilts. Mine are ranked for 50 and work fine for me at that temp. I also team my 50 degree OS TQ from LL with my 40 degree HG TQ to use when I’ve needed an extra 20 degree quilt to outfit everyone. I actually prefer the those two quilts teamed up for mild winter camping over a single 20 TQ...more flexibility!...can kick one off if I get too warm!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 07-26-2018 at 20:15.

• + New Posts