Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images

Right investment for HH Explorer Deluxe Zip

Hi all,
    I have recently taken my first trip with my first hammock and, though it was not as flat as I thought, I found loads of advantages and comfort.
    The hammock is a HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip.

Since it was the first outing, I decided to wait with the investment for a UQ and I instead used my Exped Downmat 7 Deluxe (extra wide and long, I am 188cm/6'2'') enflated about 50% to keep it soft.

Right forget the mat. It keeps on turning and aligning with the hammock rather than holding the diagonal position. Eventually I decided to throw it out and sleep without. Being the temp about 8*C (45F) I slept really well with no bottom insulation just by lowering the tarp on the leeward side.

Now it is time for the big investment.
    The temperature will range between 5*C(40F) and -20*C(0F), but mostly around -10*C(14F).

I would like a full length, down.
    Hammock Gear Incubator 20 looks great, possibly Incubator 0 could be great - though what if it happens to be a little warmer?
    Alternatively UK Hammock UQ Argon 90 seems a very good option.

In your experience, how do they fit my hammock? Other good option? (DYI is not an option since I struggle sewing a button)
    Consider that US produced have a heavy inport tax + VAT adjustment in Sweden where I live, therefore UK hammock has a big advantage.

Thanks in advance for the help! It is a big investment, but I want to get it right, since I spend out about 40nights a year on average.
    F

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I have a JRB Nest UQ with 2 oz overstuff. It fits my Hennessey Explorer like a glove. I also use it on my WBBB XLC with no problems.

I have used it in 15 degree weather and had no cold spots. I also use it during summer. I actually had it on my hammock last weekend. They also make a colder weather Nest you could look at.

The reason I like the JRB Nest outside of comfort is the ease in putting it on the hammock. Takes about 15 seconds with almost no adjustments needed. Everything you need to attach it to the hammock is included in the purchase.

Carl

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    i've had the JRB Mount Washington 4 down to -15F twice and about 10 trips last winter in the teens and single digits and for me it starts getting too warm when temps are over 40F

Fits my HH Explorer zip great and once dialed in there is no adjustment, just fluff it up and clip it on

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I can tell you, go for Cumulus.pl

I wrote to Rafael, he makes UQ too. He makes custom UQ too, summer one for me. If I remember well, it is 225 EUR for UQ with 600g of down, 220cm long. Something like -10 degrees. What I like most is the pertex quantum fabric they use. And of course free of duties and taxes, within EU.

My summer UQ with 200g of down:

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    If I remember well, it is 225 EUR for UQ with 600g of down, 220cm long.
    I wrote to them as well, but the price seems to be higher, 279€ + shipping for a 500gr down. The problem is not much the price though, but rather that 1) I have a cumulus sleeping bag, it's great, but the external material extremely thin, not sure about usage as outer layer 2) feet side tapered - a lot - with a length of 220cm it is 110cm wide at the widest and 70 cm at the foot, isn't that a little too small if sleeping diagonally?

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    pertex quantum is thin, but strong, if you dont plan to slide the rocks with it. You can still opt for quantum endurance fabric. Mine is 180 cm long, 110cm wide, almost copy of wl ssuq, but with buffles. No problem with diagonal. They made me custom for 175 eur, 7 eur shipping.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am using a 0° Toaster Down UQ by LittleShopofHammocks.com with my HH Explorer Deluxe. Perfect fit. This UQ has lots of options to get it just right. .

I have only had it for four weeks but have used it for a combined 11 nights. The nightly temperature has ranged from 5°c on Lake Superior to 22°c in Algonquin Park. In all cases this UQ has been perfect. In the warmer weather I simply slept on top of my TQ until I got cold (2 am ish?).

I also have a 0° HG Incubator. This is my primary UQ for my WB BB. I have used it with my HH Explorer Deluxe, and it did work - but now will stick with my Toaster Down UQ. Simply a better fit for me.
    Last edited by Alpine Dad; 08-17-2016 at 11:59.

• + New Posts