Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want a new hammock, want advice

I'm a kinda bigger guy. 250lbs @ 5'11"
    I was thinking about a half wit with 1.6 hexon.

Anyone care to chime in another preferred choice? I also am having a hard time deciding what suspension I want. Are cinch bugs generally easier to setup than the whoopie hook setup??

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have the 11 foot half wit out of 2.4 Hexon (for the weight holding factor) and the cinch buckle. also added the knoty mod which is now standard. When you order if you want it 11 foot long need to send a note (same price). Was out in it last night and sleep great except for the heat.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Advice for you? Double layer of anything. I think cinch bugs are for use on webbing, and hooks for use on whoopies. The main thing there is that whoopies can sometimes extend the tree distance needed. Whoopies are lighter, and I doubt anything is more simple than the whoopie hook, but I suppose the cinch bug are about as easy as you can get for a webbing suspension.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I'm your weight and a tiny bit taller and love my hexon 1.0 netless. You may prefer a firmer lay, bur IMHO the 1.o is awesome at 2/3 the weight.

Straps are so simple, if the weight/bulk is not a big factor. CinchBugs or Spiders (with CLs on the hammock) gets my vote for the ease in detaching. Cinch buckles are cheap and simple. Long straps can handle any reasonable distance...

With straps, I like the convenience of Dutch Clips in one form or another.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There is no simpler suspension that straps with dutch clips sewn in. I went double layer but not the half wit as I wanted something for the fall and casual lounging. If I expect bugs it's my Hennessy. Ditto winter. For casual summer and fall hanging a nice double layer is less stuff but will handle a pad and keep you happy. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    NoviceNorth will this be your first hammock or just your new hammock?

What about the Half-wit do you find appealing?

I am roughly your size and have several Dutch Hammocks, a couple Warbonnet hammocks and my favorite; a Wilderness Logics LiteOwl.

At the pricing range you are approaching you might consider a Wilderness Logics LiteOwl (1.1 DL). It comes with Tree straps and whoopie slings standard.
    For a bit more you could get a Warbonnet Blackbird (I'd recommend the 1.1 DL as well) which comes standard with webbing and buckles but is also available with Whoopie Slings.

With my Dutchware hammocks, I like the look of the Hexon fabrics but, prefer the feel of the Argon (not so firm).

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

I was considering the half wit for the ease of bug net/ knotty mod and light weight factor. I currently use an Eno double.

The liteowl seems to be a bit heavier than dutch options. Any reasons you prefer? Is It just the width you like?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by NoviceNorth View Post
    ...The liteowl seems to be a bit heavier than dutch options. Any reasons you prefer? Is It just the width you like?
    The Dutchware Netless hammocks represent a great value and good choice as they are longer and much more comfortable than your ENO. Paired with a BIAS Buginator, that might be everything you'll ever need in a hammock. However, once you add features such as the knotty mod and suspension, the price puts you in the realm of higher quality comparators. Warbonnet Outdoors, Wilderness Logics and others offer more sophisticated designs and higher quality craftsmanship.

For me, The LiteOwl is not only better constructed but, also more comfortable. I am not a fan of the sewn on Fronkey style bugnet. I prefer the as I need it, fuller enclosure provided by my Buginator. The majority of my nights are outside of mosquito season anyway so, my bugnet gets a fraction of the use of my hammocks.

My single layer, Dutchware hammocks are lighter and pack smaller than my double layer LiteOwl. If weight is very important, you could also consider the single layer Wilderness Logics Snipe. I prefer the silkiness of the lighter fabrics even if I need to double layer them.

IMG_0665.jpgIMG_0666.jpgIMG_0802.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0806.jpg

The Purple is a Dutchware 1.6 Nylon, the brown my 1.1 DL LiteOwl.

Ultimately, you need to determine for yourself what is most important for you.

Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to write all that up. I appreciate what you gave me to consider.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast