Ever since I started hammock camping I was trying to imagine how I would continue to do so when I got my next dog. I quickly decided that he was going to need his own hammock too. Once the dog arrived and he got old enough, I began to design and try prototypes of different designs of dog hammocks. The perfect dog hammock needed to:
  • Hang from my hammock suspension
  • Protect him from bugs
  • Keep him warm
  • Be durable
  • Be lightweight (he carries his own stuff)
  • Be a familiar shape so he would be comfortable and not intimidated
  • Be stable

After an iteration that ended up way too heavy, I went back to the drawing board with what I had learned. I decided to go with a simple gathered end design with an internal bridge structure to make the hammock be more like my dog's bed at home. I'm happy to report the hammock design is a success! I checked all the boxes with this one and the proof is in the pudding. My dog has no problem curling up and relaxing in it.

UliHammockTop.jpg
Integrated bugnet will keep him safe from bugs.

UliHammockOpen.jpg
The bugnet can be pulled away so he can have an open view and get in and out as he pleases.

UliHammockSide.jpg
The hammock attaches to my suspension and hangs underneath my hammock. There are stabilizer lines attached to a stake in the ground on each end.

UliHammockBridgePole.jpg
The body of the hammock attaches to the tent pole pegs. The pegs also attach to the stabilizer lines and the underquilt suspension.

UliHammockUnderquilt.jpg
Insultex underquilt should keep him warm.

UliHammockBottom.jpg
The hammock hangs about 4 inches from the ground.

UliHammockBack.jpg
Rear of the hammock

UliHammockSmile.jpg
I can't wait to take him out into the wild with his new setup!

UliHammockNose.jpg

The hammock weighs 12oz, the underquilt 7oz.
Hammock Materials:
70d Nylon Taslan
Aluminum Tent poles
Nylon webbing and grosgrain ribbon
No-See-Um bugnetting
Zing-it