Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You guys rock! There is much new information for me to process. I needed guidance and you as a community are providing it. Instead of fearful leaps I can take solid steps towards the right gear.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    At $160 with international shipping, a decision would be difficult since mid-range tarps begin at ~$130 (not knowing delivery costs/fees).

I've picked up a Kelty Noah's 12 with catenary cuts (so ridgeline is just above 10-feet) that is highly recommended. Doors can be made using this tarp. This is well below your limit; I'm unsure the coldest temperature this would be suited for..

Shortly afterwards, I learned about the Hennessy Hammock Hex Rainfly that also seems recommended, but doors would not be possible. For some reason, I love its shape when hung. This is also well below your budget.

My second tarp, the Warbonnet SuperFly, has an 11-foot ridgeline and is lighter than the Kelty. Doors are also possible. This might be in your budget after shipping fees.

Having just heard about Underground Quilt's Hangar Hex 12, I'm intrigued and wonder if this would be my third and final tarp since I'd like to host camping trips with friends without their own gear. I also like the price.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 08-14-2016 at 02:10. Reason: **cat-->catenary

http://undergroundquilts.com/RTS-TARPS/default.htm

What do you guys think of this tarp for 3-season use? It was mentioned on the previous page. I am sure a lot of wind and rain can be mitigated with good camp selection. The sale is tempting me!

It seems two tarps could be an viable option. One for winter and another for other seasons.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Warbonnet Superfly is the best deal out there - you won't find a lighter and cheaper winter tarp. And if you're looking for something smaller, the other Warbonnet tarps (Mamajamba & Edge) are equally light and cheap. I only see a few reasons to buy somewhere else; 1. Warbonnet only sells 11' tarps; 2. Warbonnet doesn't do custom works - so you cannot pick colors, add tie-outs etc.

The Tadpole is a nice tarp, but it is actually a bit smaller than the Warbonnet Edge but not lighter.

If you're looking for a 12' tarp (do you really need it?), the Hanger 12 tarp looks good. Just be aware that if your hammock is shorter than 11', you will not be able to hang the tarp very close to the hammock in bad weather.

Oh, I noticed I had missed a post just above my previous post. Thanks for the input! It seems superfly is getting a lot of attention including the post above this one. I would be stupid if I didn't listen to all of you experienced hammockers.

It seems that I am set on the superfly. I'll look into the mamajamba and edge before ordering. I'll post after making up my mind.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I guess the international shipping might be a factor? Perhaps that might mean getting the whole set from Dutch might be a good idea? (hammock and tarp)?

Pretty much any hex tarp gives you more than sufficient coverage. More tarp, more coverage, but unlike what Geico says, more isn't always better, especially when you consider weight. (note that this really doesn't apply to cuben) Personally, I think the Superfly is the best value out there, but that's because I've learned doors are important when you want to block wind. But, there's not always a need to block wind. So, you might consider a sock from Dutch as well, that way you get all that you need from one source with lower total shipping cost. I don't know what the cost will be and if that is actually true that it saves you, just think its worth looking at that as an option.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Point taken! The Edge seems pretty much the same as Tadpole. If I should choose that route I could save money and go lighter weight.

I am going for a 11 ft half-wit, which dutch promised to make in 1.0 hexon. It seems decent price, comes with suspension, mods and bug net plus dutches hammochs seem to have good reputation. Thus I am going to order at least one thing from dutch.

I sent warbonnet an email asking if they could offer the $20 slower international shipping, which dutchware uses. They have only the fast ones visible that are $40 and $60. I would really like the superfly, but might need to save up...

Hangar Hex 12 seems good price, because shipping is only $8. The sale makes the price tolerable, but even in exciting silpoly it has a lot of excess weight and 1500 mm hydrostatic head.
    Last edited by Vakkilainen; 08-14-2016 at 12:36. Reason: Fixing typos and spelling

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    A new tarp is on my to-do list, but I have the 4x4 DD tarp and it is heavy, but it's bomb proof.......depending on trees I can fit two under it. I will get a new tarp sometime soon as I'm now going out by myself more often then not so a lighter one that fits well for my hammock. Will probably go with something from SLD.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakkilainen View Post
    Hangar Hex 12 seems good price, because shipping is only $8. The sale makes the price tolerable, but even in exciting silpoly it has a lot of excess weight and 1500 mm hydrostatic head.
    I thought the same, but find myself pondering whether the extra 9-oz compared with competitor silpoly's should really concern me if my rucksack can comfortably carry this weight and then some.. I've never been backpacking though, but soon.

What are your thoughts on this?

I am still waiting for warbonnet to reply my email about shipping options. I will either get Tadpole or Superfly. The Hangar Hex is too much weight for the price. I would be choosing between Edge and Superfly if I weren't ordering something from dutch anyways.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really needed it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast