Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Places to hike/camp on the east coast

Hi, I live in Maryland and I love hiking and camping, but sometimes it can be a bit difficult to find good lists of places where camping is allowed or places that are worth the drive to visit. I was hoping we could make a good list in the form of a thread of everyone's favorite places to visit, hike, and camp in the eastern United States. Feel free to include pictures and links to the places' websites if you wish.

Hammock
    10 ft DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    11ft Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In my opinion, it's hard to go wrong with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. They have something like 800 miles of trail that showcases a vast variety of plants, animals, and trees. If you like to fly fish, you can even throw that in as there are several streams/creeks to fish in that are near back county sites.

You can always find a hike depending on your fitness level that has a mild amount of elevation gain, to something that is considered very strenuous. Each season has something different to offer- and you can't really go wrong hiking up there in any season. Check out some of the pictures I took from a winter trip I had back in January.

IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I guess the question is are you talking about backpacking or car camping? Car camping is easy and endless options. Finding legal backpacking seems to be fairly difficult. I'm lucky enough to be very close to the AT. Other than that, I don't have a lot of options. I have tons of State Parks or State Gamelands which don't allow backpacking. State Forests here do, but they don't have a lot of options either. National Forests are great, but only one here in PA and it is a haul for me.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If you're on a trail like the AT, and various others like it, there is typically no legal requirement regarding where to camp. Just do a little research on a particular trail to ensure that there are no restrictions, then hit the trail and camp. Keep in mind that a lot of "destinations" are restricted due to overuse and for the enjoyment of day hikers.

p.s. I would think Shenandoah is a great place to start for you.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The AT in Maryland is the only section I've done that includes an entire state. Not a bad hike. I've also section hiked parts of the AT in WV, VA, MD, PA, NJ, NY & CT.

My go-to hiking spot is the NJ Pine Barrens. It's a great training ground for hiking since there is nearly no elevation, and no rocks! You can build up your stamina for some of the rockier parts of the AT that have elevation.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...s/wharton.html
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Durunner, what about the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail? I've not done it personally, but have biked all around there, and it's lovely country. The shelters are nice, too. I think at least in some areas you can wild camp.

The Laurel Highlands part of PA is a local favorite, but I'm also partial to West Virginia, from Davis down to Snowshoe. Tons of options.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, bonefire, dutch
    Tarp
    superfly, HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers / Whoopies
    Another good place that I didn't see mentioned is Grayson Highlands State Park in southwest VA. It has access to the AT and several trails to plan a loop hike or just out and back. Also the wild ponies are a treat to see roaming freely along the mountain side and with access to Mt Rogers, the highest peak in VA, you can achieve that small accomplishment. There isn't a good view at the top but before the trail up is beautiful. If you like some rugged hiking there is Linville Gorge in NC.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    What part of MD are you in? I'm in Cecil county and Im planning on doing a one or two day hike soon on part of the Mason Dixon Trail from Sussquhanna state park into the Elk neck state Forrest. Then I'll hop off the MDT and take the Forrest trails to Elk Neck state park and the light house at the end. Some ppl have had probs with that section BC its not marked all that well ,but I'm local and vary familiar with the whole area I'm hiking through. I think I'll proly wait until it cools off a little and the humidity goes down some, proly mid September or so. Let me know if your interested , I wouldn't mind at all.

I live in Southern Maryland and found this page to be somewhat helpful. http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

Hammock
    Dutch and Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG WP 12ft / UGQ W
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ and WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    I live near Easton, MD - but work near Baltimore.. What I usually do is I'll leave work on a Friday at 4pm, and will drive up to 6 hours away, (have gone up to ANF in Northern PA and Dolly Sods, WV) and will hike all day Saturday, and hike out Sunday. I'd be interested in joining if my schedule allowed it to go on a hike.. I usually try to keep it to 10-12 miles the first day, and then on Sunday, less than 6 miles for the hike out.. I'll be going to the MAHHA hang Oct 7-9..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast