Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Harriman overnight parking off Rt 106?

Any feedback on parking at the lot off of Rt 106, south of Tiorati Circle, at the Long Path trail head right between Lake Skannatati & Lake Akoti?

Going to head towards the Valley of Boulders where I remember a good water source. It was mid November when I was there last, so also wondering if the water is still flowing over there..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    For those with interest, intel indicates that this parking lot is indeed open for overnight parking. No check-in necessary. Per park authorities, it's not a high traffic area and they haven't had any security issues here. No word on the water situation.
    Bob's brother-in-law

I'm thinking about heading up to Harriman come a weekend in early September. Very curious if anybody has camped in the area, parked in this lot, and found that water source MikekiM mentioned.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I dont claim to know that specific water source, but I will say I would be skeptical of most of the streams flowing this time of year. Every time Ive been there in the summer, last or this year, all but the largest streams were dry. There are lots of lakes there and they would certainly be a better source to count on.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lighteffect95 View Post
    I'm thinking about heading up to Harriman come a weekend in early September. Very curious if anybody has camped in the area, parked in this lot, and found that water source MikekiM mentioned.
    I'll be back before you're heading out, so stay tuned

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    I dont claim to know that specific water source, but I will say I would be skeptical of most of the streams flowing this time of year. Every time Ive been there in the summer, last or this year, all but the largest streams were dry. There are lots of lakes there and they would certainly be a better source to count on.
    No idea what I'll find, so I am planning to carry a few liters. That said, the spot I have in mind was a rolling waterfall in early November, 2015, so I am hoping it's still flowing.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I agree w/ njsurfer - at this time of year, unless there's decent and prolonged rain, that lakes are your best options - along w/ the streams connecting them. Good thing about Harriman is there are tons of them, but if you're seeking higher elevation refill before heading up.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've learned to carry what I can and take what I can take when the taking is good...
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Any feedback on parking at the lot off of Rt 106, south of Tiorati Circle, at the Long Path trail head right between Lake Skannatati & Lake Akoti?

Going to head towards the Valley of Boulders where I remember a good water source. It was mid November when I was there last, so also wondering if the water is still flowing over there..
    Any luck with water? I hike up in Harriman all the time and would love some feedback. I do not usually drive so the trail entrance/parking area is Chinese to me. But I can look it up. Thanks!

Harriman overnight parking off Rt 106?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncedbip View Post
    Any luck with water? I hike up in Harriman all the time and would love some feedback. I do not usually drive so the trail entrance/parking area is Chinese to me. But I can look it up. Thanks!
    About 5 to 10 min on the long trail after the parking lot inbetween lakes Skannatati and Askoti, I found one stream that lead into Skannatati, but it was pretty dry the rest of the way around. I ended up taking the red triangle blaze (I think) to the Fingerboard shelter that's under repairs till the end of the month, eating lunch there and then trying to loop to the Red Cross trail. I had to bushwhack a good bit to find it after crossing 7 lakes road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lighteffect95; 08-24-2016 at 05:49.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Sounds like I had better luck than you..

Did an overnight there last night. Saw the water you mention, early on the Long Path. Also passed three other usable spots. One on the White Bar, just before it intersects with White (I believe it's Nurian at this location) where I filled up in anticipation of the stream near Valley of Boulders being dry.

Ultimately hung at the Valley of Boulders. Water was running quite well and served me fine. That valley is damp and sleeping is hot and heavy. And the climb out, first thing in the morning, is brutal.

I was all over the place.. Dunning, A-SB, White Bar, Lichen, Nurian, R-D. Killer views on a side trail off the section with the A-SB and Long Path run together. I saw the signs for the repairs at the Fingerboard Shelter. I wasn't going that direction. I had planned to run over to the Lemon Squeezer today. Also planned to stop by the shelter near Bald Rocks just to check it out. I ended up going right by the side trail. Decided against Lemon Squeezer.. I've been there in November.. far better when it isn't humming with thru-hikers.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts