Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Deciding on which HH to get.....

Im ready to up grade to a "real" hammock and retire the Equip that got me started. While it works and is functional, its just that. I've got a lot of good beginner use and practice with it but its just not made all that great, is small and won't last much longer with repeated use I don't think. I'm pretty sure I've settled on getting a HH. Now I'm stuck on which one. I'm 5'6 ,155lbs so I think I can get away with the scout as well as expedition. Im used to a smaller hammock so the scout won't bother me size wise. I also found a good deal on both of them.. The scout zip and expedition classic. Im on a budget so anything more than these two is out of my price range. I guess I need help deciding which one to get. should I get the scout and save money, or get the exp and have more room? Can I use my Snugpak 10x10 tarp if I need more coverage? How well will my snugpak under blanket fit? I know I can use' it with the bottom entry by just pushing it aside. Sorry for being long winded. I know I should proly get the expedition, but the scout saves money that I can use on other gear I need. I'm stumped!

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    If interested I'm selling a HH Deep Jungle Asym Zip XL with tarp and snake skins. Excellent condition, has the 2QZQ zipper mod. Double bottom for no bug bites, full bugnet that now unzips on both sides thanks to the 2QZQ mod. Check out the for sale section.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'd love to get it but that's just a little more than I can spend right now. I'm looking to stay under $150. I found a used scout zip for $75 and an expedition classic for $99 on amazon. I'd much rather have yours tho! The expedition is proly the best fit size wise, but the scout will save me money and I'll fit o.k just not have extra room. I'm used to having a small hammock so I guess I really don't know what I'm missing lol. I'm really torn between the two.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock was an HH Exped Asym Zip. It was too small for me (5'11", 165 lbs.). I don't think I'd buy a Scout if I were you; that's way too small. And the Exped Asym Classic is bottom entry which would annoy me. However, given the choice between the two, I'd choose the Exped Classic.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Yeah, I'm leaning that way, just wanted to know if the scout would work at all....Im used to a small hammock already since I've got 2 Equips , with & w/o bug net and they are also on the smaller side. But I'd much rather have the extra room the exped has over the scout. I didn't know if the trade off would be a huge difference since I'm trying to buy a larger pack also and need to save money where I can for that. Also, can I use my much larger snugpak tarp with it in the same way the stock tarp works?

Hammock
    Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight
    Tarp
    Backpacker Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessey
    I think the Expedition will work great for you. I am 5'9" and around 150lbs, so we are practically the same build, and I fit fine in my Expedition. Bottom entry is a different animal to a zip style but it isn't a big deal. I like it actually! Theoretically bottom entry will confound swarming mosquitos and you will get less bugs in with you as well.

Can't give any data on how your current bottom insulation would work as I am unfamiliar with that product.

I know that cost savings is an important factor and it is easy for us to recommend you spend more money when it isn't our money... but with gear, you don't want to be cursing those $25 you saved each time you are out hanging. Save somewhere else. $25 is a few times renting from iTunes instead of going to the theater, or a few weeks without running to the coffee shop, or skipping a dinner out. You'll be happy you have the extra room in the long run, I think.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Definitely go for the extra room, I agree wholeheartedly that you won't regret it. I'm 5'9", 185 lbs. and use an Expedition, kind of wish I had a bigger one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I'm looking to stay under $150. I found a used scout zip for $75 and an expedition classic for $99 on amazon.
    With that budget, I'd go with a Dutch netless and a Fronkey style bugnet. A choice that you won't regret, not sure about the other options. Don't think that small is ok, you'll see why and smile when you try a Dutch.
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 08-12-2016 at 08:08.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Do not get the scout. My boy has one and it is very small. Go with the expedition. (Larger explorer even better) and try to get the zipper if possible. Also see if they will upgrade your tarp which is included to the larger hex tarp for free. I think they will do it. The larger tarp is a game changer.

I would actually contact Hennessey directly and see what they can do for you.

Love my Hennessey. Perfect starter hammock.

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 08-12-2016 at 06:24.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Also. If you go with the bottom entry Hennessey you can always add a side zipper at a later date from 2QZQ. She does great work for about $35.

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 08-12-2016 at 10:04.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast