Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images

Just an update on Walmarts current hammock offerings 8-9-2016

Got a gaming buddy just moved to Asheville NC trying to get his cash flow up to get a car, so he's camping for the summer while he works. things keep happening to him though. his first spot someone stole his gear, his current spot he got washed-out several times (poor or limited site selection). I've been trying to convince him to get off the ground since the spring, and especially after the wash-outs. If you know him, don't be an "enabler" (I say this because "things" requiring other people to help him seem to happen to him quite often) but it'd be cool if you could assist him in at least getting him hanging, even if it just happens to be that he finds you hanging and you let him try it.

But any way, in my efforts to lead him down the "righteous (hammocking) path" I've been sending him photos of things trying show him what's worth getting, and what's not, but the walmart I was at last time didn't have any of the usual hammock gear. I happened to be at my local store today and they did, but it's all different!

Gone are the cheap sky blue polyester hobo hammocks... Replaced by two offerings: one simple hammock, gray with red trim @$35; the other green, with included Bug-net & suspension system for $40

The tarp is still 5×7, but supposedly is nylon... I think previously it was PU coated polyester... I don't think to take it out to see

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    You typically get what you pay for.

It would be interesting to see these field tested.

Carl

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    Son has the green walmart hammock and loves it.... Now as far as the tarp i don't think it has enough coverage... Of course i have a superfly... Anyway the walmart hammock is a good starter and probably can't go wrong... Wish they had the bug net when i bought his, id go for that one..

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    You typically get what you pay for.

It would be interesting to see these field tested.

Carl
    The Equip Mosquito Hammock for $39 is actually not too bad of an in-a-pinch, grab-and-go, all-in-one storebought hammock. I got one the first time I ever went hammock camping, just to see if I'd like hanging in the woods instead of ground-sleeping... (I'm here, so clearly I did...)

While it absolutely pales in quality and value to anything US-made one can purchase from a cottage vendor, the Equip Mosquito hammock is actually quite sturdy, with triple stitched end channels and side seams (where the relatively narrow fabric of the main body is joined to the pieces that expend the width a bit on each side). Mine held up admirably before I went and purchased my SLD Trail Lair, which, of course, puts it to shame. Let's face it: it's an entire integrated-net hammock with "suspension" (sort of, see cons below...) for less than the price of a typical aftermarket bug net, so...

Pros:

* No-hassle, all-in-one kit that lets you walk into the woods with nothing else but the sleeping bag and pad you already own and sleep overnight without freezing or being eaten alive -- for forty bucks!
    * Pretty solidly built for Walmart camping gear, with nice mesh and decent zippers
    * Bug net is roomy (square profile, deployed with spreader poles and its own suspension
    * Folds up into its own side pocket stuff sack

Cons
    * Short! Scant 9.5-foot hammock body and skimpy sub-standard width make it hard to get a good diagonal lay for tall sleepers
    * Heavy! Thick fabric, boxy bug net with poles, and cheap accessories push the pack weight to well over 2 pounds
    * Bulky! Fabric is thick and doesn't pack down very well (spreader poles don't help either...)
    * Square profile of bug net makes it hard to get a low "storm-mode" pitch over this hammock with your tarp
    * Ultra-cheap knotted rope & spring-gate carabiner "suspension" is garbage -- claimed load capacity is 300 pounds, but I wouldn't try it! (I replaced mine with Amsteel CLs and whoopie slings)
    * No ridge line (just some cheap cord to hold up the bug bet, so I added an Amsteel SRL, which also holds up the net, and some shock cord tensioners to keep the net nice and taut, which worked well)

All in all, if you know you want to hammock camp, I wouldn't recommend starting with this Walmart offering unless you're absolutely strapped for cash, but if you're trying to convince a friend or significant other to give it a try, the price is right and the quality isn't so bad that it will dissuade her/him from exploring better camping hammocks. The bottom line is that it's not great, but it's not bad -- and pretty good if you're either on the fence or in a hurry to get to the woods.

FWIW, my Equip Mosquito Hammock held up well enough that I camped in it hard for 10 weeks, cleaned it up, removed my upgrades, restored the original components, and returned it to Walmart for a full refund with no questions asked. Just sayin'...

(Also, they make a "two-person" version of that netless travel hammock (it's blue and orange) -- not really big enough for two people! -- for $29 that is longer (just over 10 feet) and wider than standard width, which is a little easier to get a decent lay in if you're 6' or taller. Again, not great -- and honestly not worth getting when you can get even bigger, lighter, high-quality US-made cottage vendor hammocks starting at around twenty bucks more -- but certainly not terrible for the average Joe who just needs a hammock in a hurry.)

Just my $0.02...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 08-09-2016 at 19:51.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Skip the tarp. I have one and it is no where close to offering enough coverage in any configuration.

I set it up with a ENO DN and you can see that the ends of the hammock stick out plus there is not enough coverage on the sides.

DSCF0611.jpgWalMart 5 x 7 tarp 00.jpgWalmart 5 x 7 tarp 01.jpg

I believe one person had to sew two of these tarps together to get enough coverage.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    I have the Equip Double Travel Hammock. Picked it up a couple months ago for $29.88. It is orange and blue. The single was $24.88 and is the light blue. Last time I was there they were still those same colours and prices. That was last week end. They also had the mosquito hammock in green at $39.88. Can't speak for the mosquito hammock but truly love my double. It is one of 4 hammocks we have and I spend more time in it than all the others combined. Loads of room at 10'6" x 6'6".

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    There is a hammock out there called Tribe Provisions its made of 210 ripstop nylon in the 30.00 range... Single person and they have double as well...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Great value offering, great way to start out (better than paying double this for an ENO without a hanging kit). Speaking of the hanging kit, major points lost for lack of tree straps, but that's a relatively easy thing to add for not too much. Its just heavy, that's all, but so are most people's sleeping bags.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Skip the tarp. I have one and it is no where close to offering enough coverage in any configuration.

I set it up with a ENO DN and you can see that the ends of the hammock stick out plus there is not enough coverage on the sides.

DSCF0611.jpgWalMart 5 x 7 tarp 00.jpgWalmart 5 x 7 tarp 01.jpg

I believe one person had to sew two of these tarps together to get enough coverage.
    Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I used the previous version of this tarp diamond- style for a few years and yes, it was a tight fit, but it DID fit. Granted it wasn't a double nest, but I think it was the same length.

I agree it's probably better to skip it, but the point was that these are the CURRENT offerings. Both of those hammocks are pricier than the previous ones they had, so anyone going off of the older information posted elsewhere on this forum would be misled

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Most low end hammocks are short in length and short in comfort. Don't know the stats on these.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast