Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Universal tarp JrB
    Insulation
    LynxUQ SnivelerTQ

Question Spindrift sock for ridgerunner (water resistance)

I am having a hard time pitching my Jacks R Better Universal Tarp over my ridgerunner hammock (which is most likely due to my lack of experience). When its pitched, its very noisy in wind and guylines loose tension all the time.

I got myself a spindrift sock (for my ridgerunner hammock) mostly to increase my ability to stay warm in cold switzerland. However, i saw some hints here and there, that the spindrift is used without tarp. Has anyone of you experience of how it performs in moderate rain? have you ever tried to increase its water resistance? I understand, that it is not waterproof due to condensation. But i was wondering, if i was using a pump spray or even tech wash (for hardshell jackets for increased water repellency) i would be able to stay in the rain with only a spindrift sock without being soaked in my own sweat-condensation and rain also

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    In my opinion, that would be a bad idea. The spindrift can be prone to condensation under certain conditions. (water proofing the fabric would make it a lot worse) I've used mine in windy cold conditions---kept me warm and dry with no condensation because the fabric breathes. (then again, I live in the deep south --the state of Georgia--so it tends to be humid and we get a lot of rain--it might work in your climate) You could always use DWR spray and give it a go--I believe you can just wash it out if it doesn't work for you. Try it in your back yard first!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The spindrift fabric is not made to be that water-resistant. A few drips here and there might be one thing but full on rain even very light or snow will soak right through even if you did re-treat it...which would not change the type of fabric and might only buy you a few moments. You still need a tarp.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    In Colorado our blowing snow is very dry. When it hits the cold fabric it mostly slides off. I do put up a tarp just in case.

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie

Images
    It does have a standard DWR finish. I have used it without a tarp in light rain and also dry snow without any moisture getting in. The time I used it in dry snow by itself we got about 3 feet, I would wake up every couple hours with the roof of the spindrift about 6" from my face, i'd give it a knock with the back of my hand and it would all slide off. (replacing the shock cord with static might avoid that entirely).

Using a very small tarp or just an easy access awning type pitch is more than enough when combined with the SD usually

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Universal tarp JrB
    Insulation
    LynxUQ SnivelerTQ
    Excellent, it looks the spindrift i a very capable piece of gear. I looks like i am going to get a small tarp just in case.
    Another questions: have you noticed the UQ getting wet with the sock on?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexSui View Post
    Excellent, it looks the spindrift i a very capable piece of gear. I looks like i am going to get a small tarp just in case.
    Wet from what?
    My UQ's have never gotten wet even when I don't use a sock or UQP. It's all in the site sellection, size and pitch of the tarp.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexSui View Post
    Do you mean from condensation? I ve had several cold weather nights with the spindrift and have never found my UQ to be damp at all. I leave the door open about 12" which helps everything breath better.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    Waterproofing the spindrift is a spectacularly bad idea! The Spindrift must be breathable so that you don't die when it is closed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast