Thread selection for piecing together fabric

Hello everyone, I've been lurking this forum for a while now and have used your ideas to make several of my own hammocks. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. But now I have come across a question that I haven't seen on the forum.

I have some material that I am dead-set on making an end channel hammock from. I have created a few already and they work great, but the problem is, the material is too narrow to be one continuous sheet. I have been joining two narrow sheets along the vertical planes in order for it to be usable. It holds my weight no problem for the 6 or 7 times I've used it. But the threads keep breaking on that center seam because all the body weight is directly on it. I have been reading up on sewing (I'm a super noob) to learn about zigzag stitches, kevlar thread, stretch thread, etc in order to explore more options. So far I have tried double and triple lines of straight stitch seams down the middle. Do you guy have any ideas on what to try next? Other than scraping the fabric, I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks for the help!
    Steven

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Most hammocks made from smaller pieces use a continuous piece where the primary support is, probably to avoid this, and too, many people don't like to lay on a seam anyway. I'm no expert but I'd say you need a stronger seam and probably the threads should be of similar materials as the fabric so that they stretch with the fabric as stresses are applied. A weaker thread will break while a stronger thread will rip right through.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    A lot of mass-produced hammocks use three pieces of fabric side-by-side. Yes, two seams is a pain, but at least you won't be laying directly on it.
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

I too think the fabric is stretching more than the thread, putting all the weight on the thread. How about cutting one piece down the middle. Put the wide uncut piece in the middle and a half on each side? Then the part that wants to stretch the most won't have a seam.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I've made a few hammocks with three pieces of fabric - I use one solid piece for most of it, and then a foot wide "wing" on either side. Look up "felled seam", thats the one I use, triple stitch it. But I wouldn't use two pieces sewn in the middle where the seam is directly under your butt.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    A small tidbit of info on seams
    A parachute repair guy once told me "parachutes are the only item where you want a sewn seam stronger than the material". Would you rather fix a seam or repair a long rip? Seam wins every time .

• + New Posts