Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I truly found a blessing when I located this 930. I finished the hammock and tested it out and I'm exceedingly glad on how it turned out. ..... I would post a pic but I have several secret ingredients that I need to keep on the down low for a little while.
    I've looked over a couple others to understand the basic idea, but plan on introducing new ideas myself now I have a few bridges under my belt. We'll see if those ideas things actually improve anything, but that's the fun of building my own stuff!

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    This machine was my mom's - she bought a brand new back in '96.

I now have two Bernina's - 910Matic and Mom's 1090s

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    My sister turned me on to the Berninas. Since my grandparents and families immigrated from Switzerland we have to admit a bias for the Berninas. Her 830 broke and because of some flooding the parts are no longer available. She didn't know she could most likely find parts on ebay and gave her machine to the Bernina dealer. A lesson learned. Worse case is she could have sold it on ebay for parts. When I landed the 930 I gave her my 830 to replace hers.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    My Costco Special is nothing special. Have done several hammocks but it doesn't have the power to sow through thick straps unfortunately. Hammock straps have been fine, but wouldn't do some thick straps I use for ATV and wanted different hooks for and so had to do those by hand.

So instead of always borrowing my sister's machine whenever I need to sew something I found this old beauty on FB Marketplace that I picked up for around 100USD. I have a service shop just around the corner so I dropped it off there for a full clean and service, cost me another 100USD. But for a total of 200USD I got myself a real nice machine. It's a Husqvarna (Viking in the US) Automatic 21. Manufactured between 56-58 I think, the 21A came out in 59 (again working from memory lol).

It sews very well, powerful motor with reduction gear if necessary, good clearance under the foot. Can work through multiple layers of thick canvas, leather, etc. It comes with three cams to do decorative stithes and one of them is a three point zig zag which can come in handy. I'm really looking forward to working with this beauty.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Nice looking and solid machine you have there. Hooooskavarna and Vikings have a good reputation for being reliable machines. You have a real advantage living in Sweden if something needs repair.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Nice looking and solid machine you have there. Hooooskavarna and Vikings have a good reputation for being reliable machines. You have a real advantage living in Sweden if something needs repair.
    Yes I know. They still keep a lot of spare parts even for older machines at the factory. And there are quite a lot of these old beauties around. I went on FB Marketplace and there were three of these available just in my immediate area.

For some reason they put a 1.5 amp motor in the US Viking version of it, my only has a 0.5 amp motor, that's the only difference I know of. But with the reduction gear I'm not really concerned about it even if I need to go through a few layers of webbing or the occasional leather work.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I have been learning on a White 1077 and a Necchi 534. Both machines work OK, but each has its own quirks. The Necchi always gives me ugly bottom stiches, as though the way the bottom loop is tied is off. The White likes to jam up with even the slightest sideways look. I could have one or both tuned up, but I figured buying a new machine would be worth it. Neither of the others liked heavy duty fabrics. I can sell them for about what I bought them for a few years ago, so no real loss.

So I ordered one of these. I ordered black, but they sent white. I talked with customer service, and they are sending the extras that come with the black edition (which accounts for the cost difference in the two machines). Black might have been more "manly," but whatever. So far I'm loving this machine. It is quiet, and it handled 3 layers of marine vinyl without problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 198 of 198 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198