LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    So I went to visit my mom the other day. I happened to show her the pics of my 'new' machine and she said 'here why don't you take this home' I had completely forgotten about this one. I had given it to her years ago and she has never used it. Mine now

It's a Singer 15-90 year 1948 I think. Manufactured in St. John's Quebec and centennial badged. It's a workhorse. I watched a guy on YouTube sew easily thru a leather belt. This one also back stitches and I believe you can get an accessory kit with attachments to allow different stitches and buttonholing. I used to have a kit here and I can't find it at the moment but they're easy to find. I'm kind of sorry now that I bought my brand new one back in May. Lol

Hammock
    DIY 11' DL Robic XL 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Bernina 801 I inherited from my grandma. Hardly used. So far has sewn 2 hammocks, a top quilt, two under quilts, and a tarp. Thread tension is no fun to figure out by trial and error. But once I did it sews like a dream.

Recently I figured out how to do button holes with it which are awesome for bishop bags.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My first machine was a cheap modern singer. It did the job and I was able to make various hammocks, stuff sacks, a tarp, and the little machines biggest challenge was a full length climashield 6 underquilt. After that underquilt I started looking for a new machine but couldn't make up my mind. A month or so ago, my parent's neighbor moved away and offered a Kenmore 1914 in a full size cabinet to my dad for free. He knew I was looking and grabbed it for me. The thing was filthy, but it had promise. I wish I would have taken pictures of it before I started working on it, but I didn't.

I spent 2 or 3 weeks cleaning, oiling and painting the cabinet. It turned out better than I could have ever hoped for. This thing is all metal and HEAVY. The 1.2 amp motor will come in really handy for tree straps too!
    IMG_5095.jpg
    As soon as I got it set up tonight I promptly got to work and made a nice pillow using climashield scraps from my underquilt. I couldn't be happier!! Can't wait for the next project!

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Just picked this critter up in an alley behind my inlaws place. There were 2 heavy duty heavy cast machines, but this one had all its parts from what I could tell. Took it home, cleaned it up and oiled it and it works flawlessly. Started out with a Brother XL3010 but it doesn't have adjustable foot pressure or height. When I saw this one, I had to stop and check it out.
    I'm glad I did. Seams (see what I did there?) like it's gonna be a work horse!
    Not sure why the pic is sideways, but you get the idea.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Just picked this critter up in an alley behind my inlaws place. There were 2 heavy duty heavy cast machines, but this one had all its parts from what I could tell. Took it home, cleaned it up and oiled it and it works flawlessly. Started out with a Brother XL3010 but it doesn't have adjustable foot pressure or height. When I saw this one, I had to stop and check it out.
    I'm glad I did. Seams (see what I did there?) like it's gonna be a work horse!
    Not sure why the pic is sideways, but you get the idea.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Score! Nice find... I wish I found stuff like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

I was squeezing away with my snap pliers just finishing my first CDT quilt set and had mentioned to my mother that I was looking for a sewing machine.. my mother and sister had boxes of old porcelain dolls and newer ones of my sister and doll clothes that someone was coming to look at and buy. She got to talking and mentioned I was looking for a machine... "ooh.? I have an old sewing machine thats been in the box on the shelf for 20yrs or more. He can have it." SCORE! Its at a local shop being serviced and should have it back this weekend. Its an early 60's Kenmore, the guy at the shop lit up and said it was one of his favorite machines and looked well taken care of (minus the 20+yrs of dryer lint and dust lol) and would be perfect for what I plan on using it for.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by CThanger86 View Post
    I was squeezing away with my snap pliers just finishing my first CDT quilt set and had mentioned to my mother that I was looking for a sewing machine.. my mother and sister had boxes of old porcelain dolls and newer ones of my sister and doll clothes that someone was coming to look at and buy. She got to talking and mentioned I was looking for a machine... "ooh.? I have an old sewing machine thats been in the box on the shelf for 20yrs or more. He can have it." SCORE! Its at a local shop being serviced and should have it back this weekend. Its an early 60's Kenmore, the guy at the shop lit up and said it was one of his favorite machines and looked well taken care of (minus the 20+yrs of dryer lint and dust lol) and would be perfect for what I plan on using it for.

It's almost ridiculous how much a new "decent" machine costs and how fairly easy it is to get one cheap or even free! I've got 2 that I don't have a dime in. Craigslist and garage sales almost always have something available for less than $30. Unless you want a bunch of bells and whistles, with a little patience they can be had crazy cheap.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    It's almost ridiculous how much a new "decent" machine costs and how fairly easy it is to get one cheap or even free! I've got 2 that I don't have a dime in. Craigslist and garage sales almost always have something available for less than $30. Unless you want a bunch of bells and whistles, with a little patience they can be had crazy cheap.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    It certainly isn't cheap for a nice machine, I have never sewn (I mean I can hem a pair of pants and do small hand stitching) and know nothing really about how to use a sewing machine. But for the $49 the service is costing plus a new plug and any lil things it may need, I was quoted somewhere between $60-70 so certainly no complaints for that price and to have a decent older machine to get me started and last a long time.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CThanger86 View Post
    It certainly isn't cheap for a nice machine
    And how! I paid the princely sum of $100 for my Singer 500A and learned how to maintain on an old Kenmore rotary machine that I got for free. I wouldn't trade that Singer for any new machine though. I'd love to get a machine with a proper walking foot as well as a needle that moves with the feed dogs and fabric but those machines are a bit beyond my budget at the moment and tend to be overkill for anything that I'm making with my machines.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    I'd love to get a machine with a proper walking foot as well as a needle that moves with the feed dogs and fabric but those machines are a bit beyond my budget at the moment and tend to be overkill for anything that I'm making with my machines.
    I thought the same thing until I found a Davis Vertical Feed treadle. There are three generations, you want the newest one. Things like apex quilts are a lot easier with this machine. I think I paid about $75 for mine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 188 of 198 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190 ... LastLast