Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Red face WI> September 23rd-25th>North Country Trail (NCT) Northern Wisconsin > 2 night Backpacking Hang

Hi all.

This will be my first time setting up a group hang. Go easy on me!! Also my first backpacking hammock adventure!!

Right now, the plan is a 2 night backpacking hang on the NCT. Starting September 23rd, ending the 25th. (At least for me this is the case)

Right now, the NCT is closed east of 63, west of 13 and north of 77. This is due to the severe storms and flooding in that area from less than a month ago. ALifeOutdoors lives in the area and is very up to date and thinking this area may be back open by the time this hang would start.

So as of now, it is a waiting game as far as the exact starting and stopping points as that will depend on the trail closures. There are plenty of parking spots for different starting and stopping points for people to join at different times/points long the route.

The two areas of interest for me are: The Porcupine wilderness area and Rainbow lakes wilderness area.

So far, the group is myself, my step brother Tyler, and my brother Garrett (May be tenting it, can't believe I just typed that word ). ALifeOutdoors is keeping it in mind as well.

My step brother can only get off half the day Friday the 23rd so we may meet him at a separate parking location long the way if either myself or my brother start earlier Friday.

I have a family hunting shack near this area which sleeps 12 if need be. Yes it gets stinky during hunting season. We get real familiar real quick up in the north woods. The cabin has a generator, out house, no running water, wood stove, and propane heater. It is as awesome as it sounds and everyone gets a kick out of how primitive we are up there. Its my favorite place in this world.

My plan is to go up on Thursday evening after work and stay at the Cabin for the night. Anyone/everyone is welcome to come at that time as well and get set before heading out Friday morning and setting up the shuttles we need for every ones start and stopping points. I have an F150 that can seat 5 comfortably (Crew cab) and 6 if need be (bench seat up front). I will be bringing my dog as well, he is friendly with other dogs and people and can be put in his kennel in the back of the truck for the ride.

We can drop off cars along the different parking areas for those of us who may need to head out a tad early or start a tad late.

I live in Plymouth MN. If anyone in the area or between here and Drummond (closest town to the area by the NCT) would like to hitch a ride with me, I am willing to accommodate and would love the company. My family lives in south and southeast Wisconsin so they will be driving separate from me.

I have to get the maps for the trail. ALifeOutdoors sent me a little clip of his map to get started.

I have attached that. I'm going to inform him of this thread as well and he may have some good suggestions of starting and stopping points or what parts of the trail to hit. A group is doing a hang up in the area at the end of August as well. I am disappointed I can't make that one.

nctWest.jpg

Here is the location of my cabin as well:

cabin.jpg

and a pic of the cabin! (not a good one)

IMG_5128.jpg

None of this is set in stone and I am more than open to suggestions on routes and plans.

Who is in and willing to help show me the hammock hanging ropes?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Sorry Gbrugs, I should have updated you in the emails. The NCT is now open east of Hwy 63 up to Cty D, though Porcupine Lake Rd and the corresponding trail head for Porcupine Lake is still closed. However you can access the Porcupine Wilderness from the Cty D trail head. The trail from Cty D to Mellen is still closed.

Oh and because the group hang at the end of August was going to be a base camp out of Porcupine Lake, it was moved to the alternate plan of the Black River State Park. Hopefully we'll be able to do the base camp trip next year after everything is cleaned up.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Sorry Gbrugs, I should have updated you in the emails. The NCT is now open east of Hwy 63 up to Cty D, though Porcupine Lake Rd and the corresponding trail head for Porcupine Lake is still closed. However you can access the Porcupine Wilderness from the Cty D trail head. The trail from Cty D to Mellen is still closed.

Oh and because the group hang at the end of August was going to be a base camp out of Porcupine Lake, it was moved to the alternate plan of the Black River State Park. Hopefully we'll be able to do the base camp trip next year after everything is cleaned up.
    THanks ALO, no problem. Looks like we have more options then and I suspect more of the trail will be open as we get closer.

Do you have any suggestions for a distance or starting and stopping if we start mid day Friday and go into mid day Sunday? something under 10 miles a day to accommodate most people?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Well when I just head out the back door (Cty A trail head for the purpose of location) I'll generally make for Bufo Lake because it's my favorite campsite within the Rainbow Wilderness which is roughly about 11.5 miles. The logistical problem is fitting in the second night because after that there's a few primitive campsites around the Cisco Lake area which is a bit too soon for my stride. Lake Owen and Porcupine Lake is just a little too far at around 16 miles for Lake Owen campground and 18 Miles for Porcupine Lake. Plus Lake Owen campground is well a campground so it sort of breaks the immersion of being on the trail. I generally just stealth camp whenever I get tired around Lake Owen but haven't encountered anything that would fit for more than one person. I always tend to hike West to East though because I can just walk out the back door and my wife will pick me up on the other end. Looking at the map now though the best way to incorporate both areas would be to start at the north boundary of the Rainbow Wilderness and make for the camp areas close to Cisco Lake. There's sort of an old resort area we are trying to get made into a campsite if the forest service approves on Cisco Lake and an informal camp area next to the Long Lake Branch creek. Then aim for Porcupine Lake the second night. Both days would run around 11 miles. The downside is it would make Sunday a short day at only 4 miles to walk out. On the plus side the Porcupine Wilderness area, while small, is just gorgeous. One of my favorite areas. Anyway that's just off the top of my head, there's several other options that could be worked on.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'm, tentatively, IN. We'll see once it gets closer. As far as showing you the ropes, you'll probably show me at least as much as I could show you. We all learn together....

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I'm, tentatively, IN. We'll see once it gets closer. As far as showing you the ropes, you'll probably show me at least as much as I could show you. We all learn together....
    I sincerely hope to see you there goob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thank you, I'll do my best to make it

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I'll do my best, thank you
    Also. I see you are in south east WI. May be car pooling opportunities with my brothers. Keep me updated and we will see what we can do.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Whereabouts down here are they?? The thought had crossed my mind

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    One is madison and one is West Bend. Im sure either one would be willing to work with you on meeting up. My brother prefers to drive and has a nice truck. Just chip in for gas and im sure he would be fine with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast