DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I still use stuff sacks for food and clothing. I think the people ending up with "a bunch of odd shapes" in their packs are using 10L sacks and stuffing them with 10L of stuff. Don't do that. A 10L sack half-filled with clothing can conform to pretty much whatever shape you want.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I still use stuff sacks for food and clothing. I think the people ending up with "a bunch of odd shapes" in their packs are using 10L sacks and stuffing them with 10L of stuff. Don't do that. A 10L sack half-filled with clothing can conform to pretty much whatever shape you want.
    I still use a stuff sack for my clothes as i like them together but i use one much larger than i need so it's still "squishy" enough to conform to my pack shape. Other than that it pretty much all goes in a pile.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Love stuff sacks, love to keep clean things away from unclean stuff, like to know i can grab a stuff sack and know exactly whats in it. Always find everything, and organised. I like oversized ones for down, tarp and hammock but then more sized ones for all the small stuff, cables, chargers, clothes, cooking stuff etc.
    If something does end up damp, which is guranteed in the Uk then i can keep it seperate in the pack.
    Tacblades

Ever checked out Chad Poindexter on Youtube? I like how that guy packs. Similar to what you are talking about but I am always amazed at what he fits in his pack

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Too many stuff sacks or really tightly bound stuff sacks do make it harder to compress the pack correctly. So I use a few ditty bags type of stuff sacks.

Like others, I put my insulation in a bag on bottom of pack. My hammock/bugnet/pillow and suspension in a Black Bishop Bag with the insulation. This trash bag keeps everything "dry" if needed.

My clothes in a small sack. Any jackets just stuffed in the pack loosely. Pack cover and poncho in pack lid.

My poop pack is a waterproof sack with a trowel and has other items sealed in several sandwich bags.

My cook kit in it's own stuff sack.

Tarp in skins and in their own stuff sack.

Food in waterproof sack.

So, just 6 stuff sacks/ditty bags and a trash bag on bottom. This allows me to push all items down and really compress everything in.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY 10' gathered end
    Suspension
    DIY rap rings
    My trash contractor bag is my stuff sack, for the small stuff I have couple ziploc bag, gallon size.

Sent from mobile

Me too, like the very big, purple, zippered one from GG that I bought years ago. The ones that came in the round plastic containers.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    I still use stuff sacks but I think it's more out of habit than anything. I tried loading my pack without them the other day and it did seem a lot more stable and even. The only fear I have is snagging something in one of the zippers. I'd rather a stuff sack snag than something more expensive.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    You have zippers on the main compartment? Is this a panel-loader of some kind? I keep looking around my area for a good deal on some compactor bags but haven't found one yet. Not a lot of folks in FL use compactors....we have giant landfills.

I'm going to give this packing style a try next trip but I want to make sure my gear will stay dry. Until now I've always lined my stuff sacks with a kitchen trash bag (one of the "force-flex" that stretches) and that's worked well. However, it's a pain in the butt trying to cram a down quilt or other item into a small sack while keeping the edge of the bag from getting pulled inside. I think this "cram it all in the bottom" will be pretty awesome for my hammock and quilts. Tarps will still go in an outside pocket.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    You have zippers on the main compartment? Is this a panel-loader of some kind? I keep looking around my area for a good deal on some compactor bags but haven't found one yet. Not a lot of folks in FL use compactors...
    Home Depot and Lowe's etc. sell contractor bags that are pretty beefy, thick stuff that will work just as well as a trash compactor bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast