vivere
    Tarp
    onetagris 3x3
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie toggle

Lightbulb No stuff sacks?

I started backpacking 3 years ago and found it so strange to have all these odd shaped parcels fitting into my pack (like tetris but less fun). This summer so far... I have ditched the under quilt and top quilt stuff sack, best decision I've made. Now I'm looking at ditching the hammock stuff sack and clothes bag. Not really for the weight but my pack seems to feel more balanced and it is super easy to use my pack as the stuff sack.
    So far I have seen no downsides to this and wondering why people use them in the first place?
    thoughts?

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I don't use stuff sacks for the quilts, they get put into a trash compactor bag in the bottom of the pack. This fills all the nooks and crannies much better and the pack is roughly always the same volume. I still use stuff sacks for the hammock and clothes though, I don't want to have to dig through my whole pack to find either (especially true of socks/underwear). Plus the shape of the hammock/some clothes would mean that they could wrap around other stuff in the pack making them harder to remove.

Lacking down, hammock and clothes stuff sacks usually don't pose as much of a problem of expanding to completely fill a stuff sack unless you really pack a lot or use a stuff sack that is too small.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I don't use stuff sacks for my quilts. My hammock still goes in a bishop bag, more just because of the ease of deployment. I don't really carry extra clothes so there is no clothes bag. Most I usually have is my sleep clothes and a fleece in the summer months.

I do prefer it this way. I find the pack fills out more uniformly than if I were packing a bunch of different bowling ball shaped objects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by morriceosaurus View Post
    odd shaped parcels fitting into my pack (like tetris but less fun)
    are you sure you are not confusing stuff sacks with compression sacks?

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I don't use stuff sacks for my quilts, hammock or clothes. Smaller things (matches, first aid supplies, backup water treatment, etc.) go in a stuffsack, but my pack serves as the stuffsack for most of my stuff.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by somniferous View Post
    I don't use stuff sacks for the quilts, they get put into a trash compactor bag in the bottom of the pack. This fills all the nooks and crannies much better and the pack is roughly always the same volume. I still use stuff sacks for the hammock and clothes though, I don't want to have to dig through my whole pack to find either (especially true of socks/underwear). Plus the shape of the hammock/some clothes would mean that they could wrap around other stuff in the pack making them harder to remove.

Lacking down, hammock and clothes stuff sacks usually don't pose as much of a problem of expanding to completely fill a stuff sack unless you really pack a lot or use a stuff sack that is too small.
    I do the same as Somniferous except I use a Cuben pack liner instead of trash compactor bag.

If you are going to have dirty clothes, it's probably a good idea to at least have one stuff sack for those.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    I use stuff sacks for hammock, tarp, and UQ. Since I only have one large main compartment it helps finding things a little easier. I don't usually have a lot of extra clothing so I keep them loose. Clean clothes floating around inside the trash bag liner with everything else and wet/dirty clothes outside the trash bag liner. My pack is stretchy enough it's not too bad getting all my items to fit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    I prefer oversized sacks that allow the contained items to flop around and conform to whatever else is around them.
    +1 to that.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I like stuff sacks for my stuff simply for organization and ease of location. But I have only recently come to the conclusion that bigger is generally better. In my early days, it seemed to me that the smaller the package, the better. It all looked so neat and tidy before packing to be stacked up in snug little organized tubes and bundles cinched up tight. But I would find voids all over that were difficult, at best, to fill and completely impossible at worst, taking up valuable space with air. Now I prefer oversized sacks that allow the contained items to flop around and conform to whatever else is around them. Often, everything in my pack comes out when I get to camp, and that means putting everything on the ground. It helps to keep dirt or mud or leaves off of the stuff that I would find it undesirable to have soiled in such a manner. Some may say that packing should be done in a manner that would allow first in, last out, organization. To some extent I do that. But for decent and comfortable weight distribution it's not always possible. But almost always I learn something new every time I go out. My first trip was in a November and my pack weight with water and food was 65 lbs! Now it's under 35 with some luxury items. We had SO much extra crap we didn't need, and came back with a mountain of uneaten food. I may eventually dump the stuff sacks, too, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I didn't see myself dumping the hard packed compression sacks, either, but those are a thing of the distant past.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm having a similar thought with my hammock/quilt setup. I just got an UQ that can nearly permanently attach to the hammock and the TQ/pillow will easily stay inside with the netting zipped shut. Maybe I'll ditch the individual bags and give the trash compactor bag a try. I've also got an old pack liner (roll top waterproof bag with relief valve) floating around somewhere.

Anyone using those big ziplock (or off-brand) storage bags with the valve to attach a vacuum cleaner. I know you can also squeeze the air out of those and they're pretty heavy and waterproof. I was thinking I could put my whole sleep system in there loose, cram the bag in the pack bottom, then the air will squeeze out as I add heavier items on top.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast