Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Thumbs up About my tarp from OES

After a,,,,, Interesting trip or 6 with a heavily modified "Neo Tarp" from SG, I acquired some sil-nylon (Thanks Coffee) With plans on making my own tarp, cause, thought I "I know how to sew, pretty good.
    I was so wrong,,, that's WRONG WRONG & WRONG! Thankfully, I has some spare to practice on. Yea, that was good enough to make a stuff sack or 3, but,,,, NO!

So, I called Teenage Brian at OES, "Dude, can you make me a tarp out of the Sil I got?" He agreed, I sent a letter with the tarp saying how big I would like it "12' to 12.5' long, & as wide as 2 pieces of material would allow. About a month later, I got a 13.5' X 10' Tarp with 12 (Plastic) D rings as tie out points & (I supplied) Figure 9s at the ridge line. It seemed as if it took me 10 minutes to get the tarp out of the package, it was SOOOO long I thought "OMG What did he send me???" So, I called him, Said He: "Yea, I had enough material, so I went for it! Try it out & if you don't like it, send it back & I'll shorten it!" So, out to the back yard, set up my tarp & hammock, spent the night. Called Brian about a week later (after a 3 day weekend trip, with rain) "YOU CAN'T HAVE MY TARP BACK EVER!!!!" That was nearly 10 years ago. I have since used my "Palace" as some of you have christened it probably 900 or more nights, sometimes (Stupidly I know) Left it up all day.
    ALL of the seams / stitching are still nearly pristine looking, but due to all the use & sun my tarp has had, I must retire it from daily use. This makes me sadder than I had thought about a piece of gear, possibly you can imagine it, but It's hard. I will patch what I can & still use it on winter trips, , , ,
    Oh, the stuff sack, made from the same material, from the same roll, gave up being usable over a year ago, but it was in the sun every time I hiked as it was in a pocket on the outside of my pack. So, as much as possible, keep your Nylon stuff out of the sun!

ANYWAY, I have ordered a new tarp from Brian, this time in my 2nd favorite color, Coyote Brown. I will take better care of this one, not leaving it up during the day & stuff like that. I figure that this tarp will last much longer as I now use a "Blue tarp" (green actually) from Ollie's at home.

So, my experience with OES: GREAT service, Over the top workmanship, & gear that will last a normal person 50 years.

FYI: I average over 100 nights in my hammock a year, outside,, year round.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I so regret selling my OES that I am going to order another.
    Best tarp ever!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I really love my OES Maccat Deluxe but it's a little too small. I may sell it as soon as my UGQ one arrives.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Images
    OES is still in buisness? I thought he, without shutting off the ordering function, just disappeared. All I ever hear lately is that he's impossible to get a hold of, and if you send payment, you'll have to get your funds back from your back after you give up. Sort of unofficially out of business.

I'd try contacting him first before you send him any money.

When did you place this order and what was your wait? I ordered a delux silpro about a week ago and got nothing back but an automated receipt. No real confirmation order. I will say I remember my last order from him just showing up one day about a month after ordering without much notification.

Anyone else order from OES recently?

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Not many are "adventurous" enough.......

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pad + DIY down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Not many are "adventurous" enough.......
    It's a shame that's the case.

I purchased a used MacCat deluxe from a forum member and it is a favorite. Beautifully crafted piece of gear.

I'm sure if one were to make it through the purchasing process they'd be completely satisfied with the product. There's just a lot of bad stories to sift through...

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I love mine. Purchased with no problems last year. My sister got one around the same time, no problems there either.

I see the website has been updated since then, looks more "pro" now... hope Brian has the kinks sorted out.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altro View Post
    It's a shame that's the case.
    Very much so. One of the first "real" tarps I almost purchased. Almost never hear complaints about the product, what a shame

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one......if I could pay after it's in hand

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Boy it's really hit-or-miss with this oes I ordered a tarp a couple months ago. I ordered the biggest I believe it's the deluxe for about a hundred and sixty bucks in brown. I received the smallest standard in black that had obviously been used, it had dirt and hair on it.I try to contact Brian for over a month with no reply, so I had to resort to contesting the charge with my credit card company still waiting for refund, think I'll go with the superfly. On a side note the standard I received is built well however given the headache of trying to contact and work with this guy it is certainly not worth it and doesn't seem to be much better design than any other tarp I had. I'm really glad I decided to get my winter tarp in the middle of the summer before weather had a chance to set in cuz now I've spent two months trying to get a tarp from Brian a tarp that was supposed to ship within three to five days according to his website. Even the wrong tarp took 15 days to ship.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast