Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post

Youth Turkey Hunting Season is April 17 and 18, 2010. As a precaution, I strongly suggest you do not wear red, white, or blue outer wear or exposed inner clothing. I (and the DNR) also suggest you wear a tad bit of blaze orange.
    I have 50 or more Blaze Orange mesh, "pinnies" soccer practice jerseys. They are youth size so are really small. They can be tucked in a pack exposed, worn as a buff, head rag, scarf, etc. Just a thought?

You guys want me to bring'em? I hate to just lug them around all weekend.

-Skookum

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    All help is appreciated.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I think it has already been posted, but as a reminder:

Youth Turkey Hunting Season is April 17 and 18, 2010. As a precaution, I strongly suggest you do not wear red, white, or blue outer wear or exposed inner clothing. I (and the DNR) also suggest you wear a tad bit of blaze orange.

-Skookum
    I was not aware Turkeys came in red, white, or blue. I have only seen the brown variety. What is the reason for not wearing patriotic colors?
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I looked up on the DNR site and these are the areas that could possible have youths hunting. Properties participating include Atterbury, Crosley, Glendale, Goose Pond, Hovey Lake, Jasper-Pulaski, Sugar Ridge, Kankakee, Kingsbury, LaSalle, Pigeon River, Tri-County, Minnehaha, Fairbanks Landing, Hillenbrand, Chinook, Winamac and Willow Slough Fish and Wildlife Areas, as well as at Salamonie, Roush and Mississinewa lakes.

Is the Nebo Ridge Trail area in any of these areas? The hunts are apparently only on State land. I thought we would be in the Hoosier National Forest. Am I wrong? If we are not on one of the lands listed above then we have no problem. Someone with a lot more knowledge could easily clear this up. I work the next 2 days (12 hr shifts) so there is no way I could call the DNR for the info but I could try to call on Wed to find out for sure if we are in mortal danger from teens with guns, bows, and crossbows.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    I was not aware Turkeys came in red, white, or blue. I have only seen the brown variety. What is the reason for not wearing patriotic colors?
    I hunt, guide & photograph Wild Turkey. Gooblers (adult males) heads and neck wattles turn bright Red, White & Blue during the mating ritual to attract a Hen (adult females). If you hear a turkey gobble and it is strutting, it is showing these colors. It's very cool to watch. So in turn, these are also the colors that help identify the gobbler to the hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by otter46544
    I looked up on the DNR site and these are the areas that could possible have youths hunting.
    The sponsored youth hunts will in fact be held on the properties you mentioned, but Youth Turkey is not confined to it. Hoosier National Forest including Nebo Ridge are legal hunting area.

Quote Originally Posted by otter46544
    I could call the DNR for the info but I could try to call on Wed to find out for sure if we are in mortal danger from teens with guns, bows, and crossbows.
    Look, I'm not trying to spook anyone. I'm not worried for myself in the least. It's just common sense and makes good outdoorsman sense.

There won't be hoards of little hunters roaming the woods shooting everything that moves (unless you look like a turkey. read: red, white and blue). All youths will be with an unarmed licensed adult/mentor. I can assure you they will want to be as far away from us as we will of them.

I'm just sayin......

Note: There has never been a fatality during the youth season.

-Skookum
    Last edited by Skookum; 04-04-2010 at 20:57.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm not trying to spook anyone. It's just common sense.There won't be hoards of little hunters roaming the woods. If a few are, by law, they will be with an unarmed adult/mentor. I can assure you they will want to be as far away us as we will of them.
    There won't be turkeys anywhere near 40+ people traipsing through the woods! Hopefully the hoards of little hunters and their mentors won't shoot us for scaring them away!
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by _Tinker_ View Post
    There won't be turkeys anywhere near 40+ people traipsing through the woods! Hopefully the hoards of little hunters and their mentors won't shoot us for scaring them away!
    Agreed, but I would bet money on the fact that we hear a few gobblers Saturday & Sunday Morning. I love that sound. Gobbblbblll!! Nothing like it.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Bring your "Whooooa Buddy" voice and call out loudly every 50 feet. You'll be safe.
    Like Tinker said, no way a hunter or turkey will be sticking around the gypsy hoard we are bringing.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Not to beat a dead Turkey.....

I was just trying to save money for anyone that choose to wear a bit of blaze orange as suggested by the DNR (while they were moving through the woods) but didn't want to go buy something.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that we all wear the soccer jerseys. Wouldn't that be cute

nuff said....

-Skookum

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    People will think we are on the same bowling team.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 57 of 92 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast