Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My buttocks have not noticed anything I could not shift away from.
    I tighten my knee straps a bit so I can slightly bend my knees. If I let all the tension out of the lower straps that is my flattest lay.
    Have not been in mine in a while. Keep messing with it. Not sure what to tell you.
    Okay, that's good to know. After looking at the Exped SynMat, I realize that my Thermarest is much thinner. I've been letting air out of my thinner pad so I think I'll leave it fully inflated next time.

Thanks, Shug!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl/Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3 season Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tcar0341 View Post
    Shug,

I did my first night in the Amok last night. I'm using a recommended pad from the Amok site (Thermarest Basecamp AF). I had a problem with that sucker folding up under my lower back / glutes. I went to REI to look at the Exped SynMat 7 LW and I think it's thicker than my Thermarest. So, I'm going to try again with a fully inflated Thermarest. If that doesn't work, I'll buy the Exped SynMat 7.

Couple of questions fer ye:
    1. Have you had any problems with your sleeping pad folding under yer BUT-TOCKS?

2. When you're sleeping, do you add some tension to the lower straps to raise your legs up a bit? (Only way I can get a flat lay is to add some tension to the lower straps)

Thanks much!

Hi, I'm not Shug but when I used my Thermarest Basecamp I fully inflated it and released all tension in the lower straps, did not have any bunching issues.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassinism View Post
    Hi, I'm not Shug but when I used my Thermarest Basecamp I fully inflated it and released all tension in the lower straps, did not have any bunching issues.
    Thanks a lot, Hassinism! Next time around I'm going to fully inflate my Thermarest Basecamp AF. I also ordered an Exped Synmat 7 LW for testing. I'll keep both pads for family use and use the optimal pad for my Amok.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I bought a mattress off eBay for $10 with the dimensions the Amok calls for and slid my Z Rest on top. It works great so if bulk and weight are not a huge issue but coinage is that might be something to look at.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quick update on my sleeping pad journey. I purchased the Exped SynMat 7 LW. Since I'm a stomach sleeper I am leaving the pad fully inflated. So far it's not bunching up on me.

I worked from home today and decided to hang my Amok in the office for a relaxed work environment. :-)

Hammock
    Amok
    I'm using a LL Bean Hikelite Extra Large pad, R3 78"L x 26"W x 3.5"D. I have two of these. On both the stuff sack has the right size but a label on the pad itself lists the wrong size. At first I thought I got the wrong pad but a measurement confirmed an approximate size of 78 x 26. The hand pump works but takes a while to fill.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    I am a new owner of an AMOK. I have an Exped downmat XP 9 LW and a Big Agnes insulated air core ultra (wide long). Both pads work great, but my son finds the Big Agnes more comfortable. Got the Big Agnes from backcountry.com for $140.00. Not cheep, but is very comfortable.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tcar0341 View Post
    Quick update on my sleeping pad journey. I purchased the Exped SynMat 7 LW. Since I'm a stomach sleeper I am leaving the pad fully inflated. So far it's not bunching up on me.
    looks good! I have the synmat9 and really like it. tried it with the 7, but as a thicker/squatter dude, I really appreciated the extra thickness of the synmat 9

ps, I really dig that rusty red colour

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by awalkmom View Post
    I am a new owner of an AMOK. I have an Exped downmat XP 9 LW and a Big Agnes insulated air core ultra (wide long). Both pads work great, but my son finds the Big Agnes more comfortable. Got the Big Agnes from backcountry.com for $140.00. Not cheep, but is very comfortable.
    which do you like better, and why?

I don't have any extended time with the big agnes mats, just the 5 mins you can check em out in the store before you get the really weird looks (they really need a nap section )

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    which do you like better, and why?

I don't have any extended time with the big agnes mats, just the 5 mins you can check em out in the store before you get the really weird looks (they really need a nap section )
    LOL, I like the Exped better myself, But my son likes the Big Agnes better. Sorry, I know that is not much help.

I know they are both quality mats, but the Exped seems to be a little better quality. I went with the regular as opposed to the UL. I will agree that the Big Agnes was slightly more comfortable. I think it is because of the location of the inflation valve. It is easy to tweak the inflation just where you want it by fully inflating it and then releasing small amounts of air while you are in the hammock to get your perfect pressure. The inflation valve in the Exped is at the foot end and not as easy to get to for adjustment while you are in the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast