WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by Realstone View Post
    Not to compete with the Shug Kool Aid thread, just a more targeted thread...

So I currently own four Hennessey hammocks, they're great but with a slooowly recovering frozen shoulder, I find sleeping in a gathered end hammock bunches my shoulders together and also forces my arms into positions that I find difficult to drift off in. A friend suggested the Amok and it really seems to be the answer. I'm committed to getting one. The only shortcoming IMO seems to be the cost for not-included sleeping pad (http://www.amokequipment.com/sleepingpads). I'm frugal by nature (my wife says there's a difference between frugal and cheap ), and I am reluctant to shell out $385 for a sleeping pad. Amok says that a cheap pool mattress will work, but all I could find was this one. Amok also suggests on their pad recommendation page that pool pads are "for relaxation usage", which I assume means "don't rely on these for backwoods applications".

So, I'm putting it out there, what have y'all discovered about sleeping pads in Amoks?
    I didn't mention in my other reply but I kept googling and watching that down mat 9 and bought it on sale for like $179. Google is amazing for this purpose.

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Haven pad
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Just ordered a Draumr 3.0. Can't wait. I have an Exped Synmat UL7 LW already. But thinking ahead to the summer: Has anyone ever tried a Klimit Inertia X Frame in the pad sleeve?

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Crog Welly View Post
    Just ordered a Draumr 3.0. Can't wait. I have an Exped Synmat UL7 LW already. But thinking ahead to the summer: Has anyone ever tried a Klimit Inertia X Frame in the pad sleeve?
    No, I haven't, but I can tell you that the pad is absolutely the make-and-break for comfort and stability.
    My guess is that the lack of horizontal [full side to side] structure on the Klymit would make it fold and flop. [If you have one, try it out and give us a post on this thread] I can certainly understand that saving weight might make the Klymit inviting.
    People have already reported that they had trouble with some of the thinner tube mats.
    I would trust Jonas and the AMOK guys to pick/recommend only the mats that will truly work with the design.

My personal take on everything surrounding the AMOK is that, right from the beginning, I bought into the fact that this was a heavier rig, and was never going to fit into a sub 15 pound load out. That is why I also have a gathered end hammock and under quilt. Shaving weight on the mat just diminishes the comfort, and risks compromising the structural integrity of the AMOK.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crog Welly View Post
    Read their sleeping pad recommendations......http://www.amokequipment.com/sleepingpads
    May give some insight.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Haven pad
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Mmmmm I think the Klymit x frame will fold up like a brocken deck chair . I will try it for fun after I try the exped ul7.

I was more thinking about getting a cool breeze on my back than the weight of the pad. Perhaps an inflatable bed of nails would give good ventilation.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a 3.0 with Tarp and Exped Downmat XP 9 LW up for grabs in the For Sale sub forum if anyone's looking for one.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ownMat-XP-9-LW
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    Amok 3.0, Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock w/hammock
    I'm curious as to whether a 2" sheet of Styrofoam SM (or any rigid foam insulation board) plus a 1½" comfort pad would work. SM is pretty strong and would give an R-value of 10, + whatever R-value the comfort pad added.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Realstone View Post
    I'm curious as to whether a 2" sheet of Styrofoam SM ....
    I'm curious how you're hauling it around heh

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have the REI Stratus for milder weather and the Exped 9downmat for serious cold.
    No....not cheap but they seem to do the job.
    A good and proper pad is going to be an investment.
    The Amok needs the support to hold you properly and function as designed.
    Shug

PS....The Kool Aid thread was not started by me by the way! I just showed one that I had.
    Shug,

I did my first night in the Amok last night. I'm using a recommended pad from the Amok site (Thermarest Basecamp AF). I had a problem with that sucker folding up under my lower back / glutes. I went to REI to look at the Exped SynMat 7 LW and I think it's thicker than my Thermarest. So, I'm going to try again with a fully inflated Thermarest. If that doesn't work, I'll buy the Exped SynMat 7.

Couple of questions fer ye:
    1. Have you had any problems with your sleeping pad folding under yer BUT-TOCKS?

2. When you're sleeping, do you add some tension to the lower straps to raise your legs up a bit? (Only way I can get a flat lay is to add some tension to the lower straps)

Thanks much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tcar0341 View Post
    Shug,

I did my first night in the Amok last night. I'm using a recommended pad from the Amok site (Thermarest Basecamp AF). I had a problem with that sucker folding up under my lower back / glutes. I went to REI to look at the Exped SynMat 7 LW and I think it's thicker than my Thermarest. So, I'm going to try again with a fully inflated Thermarest. If that doesn't work, I'll buy the Exped SynMat 7.

Couple of questions fer ye:
    1. Have you had any problems with your sleeping pad folding under yer BUT-TOCKS?

2. When you're sleeping, do you add some tension to the lower straps to raise your legs up a bit? (Only way I can get a flat lay is to add some tension to the lower straps)

Thanks much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My buttocks have not noticed anything I could not shift away from.
    I tighten my knee straps a bit so I can slightly bend my knees. If I let all the tension out of the lower straps that is my flattest lay.
    Have not been in mine in a while. Keep messing with it. Not sure what to tell you.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast