Hammock
    Dutch custom and Halfwit
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ.
    Suspension
    depends on situat.

Tree straps with sewn end loop question.

How many of you use a carbiner, clip or some sort of device on your tree straps at the sewn end loops and why? Is it better than just looping the strap around a tree and threading the loose end through the sewn loop and on down to the endless loop of your hammock via a buckle or ring etc? Does a clip or carbiner in the system make a difference?

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I use a grapplers hitch with a single strand diamond knot. It functions like a dutch clip and since I use cinch buckles as part of my suspension, I dont have to pass the buckles through the webbing every single time.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    There are at least three possible advantages to using a clip/biner; speed of setup, ability to easily move over limbs and ability to leave the whole suspension attached to hammock.
    Nothing wrong with just looping the strap through itself. It's what I usually do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    It depends which rig I use. I have systems where I use a sewn-on Dutch clip or a classic Dutch clip. When I'm in an anal gram weenie mood, I just run the line through the loop. It's all of matter of convenience.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I thread the strap through the loop. I like a simple set-up and having biners to pack/keep track of/lose is a complicating factor I've chosen to live without. (granted, it's not THAT big of a complicating factor...) I suppose it slows my set-up time down a bit, but I haven't missed those 12 seconds yet. If I do, I guess I'll reconsider the biners!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    I just got back from a six day trip on the John Muir Trail. The first thing I did when I returned was to order some carabiners so I didn't have to thread my straps through the sewn loops. Why? Several times during the hike, when arriving at our campsite dead tired after 10 to 12 hours hiking, there weren't always a lot of trees available for hammocking. Sometimes they looked good, but after threading the straps through the loops with difficulty because there were so many branches --branches dripping with sap, by the way--only to find that the trees were too flexible to function with the hammock. This was repeated several times, to the point it was getting dark. Once, I slept on the ground because I didn't want to deal with the trees and the sap anymore and it was dark. Bad deal! My straps still have sap on them, even after cleaning.

So get yourself some carabiners. It makes the strap process faster and neater when you are experimenting with different trees.
    Last edited by goober; 08-03-2016 at 20:50.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    I just got back from a six day trip on the John Muir Trail. The first thing I did when I returned was to order some carabiners so I didn't have to thread my straps through the sewn loops. Why? Several times during the hike, when arriving at our campsite dead tired after 10 to 12 hours camping, there weren't always a lot of trees available for hammocking. Sometimes they looked good, but after threading the straps through the loops with difficulty because there were so many branches --branches dripping with sap, by the way--only to find that the trees were too flexible to function with the hammock. This was repeated several times, to the point it was getting dark. Once, I slept on the ground because I didn't want to deal with the trees and the sap anymore and it was dark. Bad deal! My straps still have sap on them, even after cleaning.

So get yourself some carabiners. It makes the strap process faster and neater when you are experimenting with different trees.
    Even though I am an 'extreme noob' with all this, I strongly concur with using carabiners. I had a similar situation with the trees this last weekend while camping in the Uintah Mountains, UT. There is a lot of Japanese Beetle destruction, and the established campgrounds at least have a lot of new growth aspen trees (vs. pine/lodgepole). I hung my hammock on aspens in 2 different spots with no success, and then it was too dark and I was too tired, so I "slept" on top of a picnic table. The caribiners would have at least made it easier to move things to different trees.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I like Phantom Grap's diamond knot. Easy and light. No hardware to lose.

Sent from East of Montauk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Dutch Clips FTW! Because bling points...

(But seriously, they're an elegant lightweight solution to anchoring that allows for easy pitch and adjustment I have two sets of sewn-on DCs that I got with my Cinch Bugs and webbing, but I also have a pair of classic DC's which have yet to come loose.)

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Sew-i dutch clip. Because they weigh basically nothing a are convenient.

I would probably just feed through the loop before using carabiners.

I remove my straps each time I hang, if using a cinch buckle suspension (straps are stored separately, to keep water/etc out of the "dry sack").

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast