Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MI- Jones Lake SF Campground Group Hang aka Sloth Hang - July 29-31 Official Thread

Even though this was a group hang at Jones Lake SF Campground the weekend of July 29-31, 2016 northeast of Grayling, Michigan, someone came up with the idea of calling it the Sloth Hang for some odd reason. I'm sure you're wondering what us Hangers have in common with the Sloth, but when you read the definition, there are many similarities.

"The sloth is the world's slowest mammal, so sedentary that algae grows on its furry coat. The plant gives it a greenish tint that is useful camouflage in the trees of its Central and South American rain forest home.

All sloths are built for life in the treetops. They spend nearly all of their time aloft, hanging from branches with a powerful grip aided by their long claws. (Dead sloths have been known to retain their grip and remain suspended from a branch.) Sloths even sleep in trees, and they sleep a lot—some 15 to 20 hours every day. Even when awake they often remain motionless."

Get the point? We have alot more in common with them than I ever realized. Our weekend was sedentary, consisting of walking from our hammocks to the basecamp, deciding when to put the next pound of bacon on, looking for the next thing to eat, taking a swim in the lake, then more food and time around the campfire, before we all retired to our hammocks and enjoyed another night in the trees.

We ended up with about 16 attending throughout the weekend, with some leaving on Friday/Saturday and others arriving later on. Our weather was perfect, with temps in the 70's and 80's during the day with sunny skies and lows in the high 40's to 60's at night. The only rain lasted about 2 hours on Sunday morning, starting at 5:00 AM.

It's always hard to remember everyone's name, but I'll give it a try and don't be offended if I mess up. Here's who joined us: Kg8jk (Dirk), Michigandave, Markr6, RevKev, Christo456, TZBrown and wife Anne, Turkey, Squirrelbait, Donk67 and son Thomas, AndrewB and Beth, Gargoyle, Majortom and wife Nancy. Turkeys family stopped by during the day to check out what we do and a surprise visit was made by Wolverine, who was on his way up to Isle Royale for the week.

Here's some highlights from the weekend: Food, food, and more food! TZ made up cobbler both nights in the dutch oven, Christo whipped up his dutch oven pot roast, complete with baby carrots (thanks Ed) and potatoes. Once again he showed us his skills with the dutch oven with his breakfast casserole served with tortillas, plus bacon and eggs by Mark6 (thanks for the chili too) and AndrewB. We also had burgers (thanks Dirk) and lots of brats (RevKev, Squirrelbait)! I made my sausage gravy and cornbread, then tested out a new recipe for buffalo chicken mac and cheese with fritos on top. I also tried my best to expand our beer palates with an evening tasting session and brief discussion. Sorry that the Russian Ale was a dud...I should have known better ($3.50 beer in a plastic bottle bought at Meijer's). Hopefully it was made up by the Mango Magnifico & the St. Bernard. Lots of snacks were provided by all but the fresh smoked fish brought down from the UP by Tom and Nancy was awesome!

As with all group hangs, there was hammock gear talk and demonstrations: Bridge hammocks (Gargoyle had the monster sized one), bling and other gear, and hammock stands. Turkey was like a kid in a candy store over his newly arrived HG camo CF tarp. To see the smile on his face when he was enjoying the pitter patter of sunday morning's rain was priceless.

Please post your photos and stories from the weekend. I'll be uploading some pics when I get a chance. Thank you all for coming out and braving a weekend of car camping in the wilds of Northern Michigan. It was great meeting some new friends and enjoying some time with old friends!
    Last edited by michigandave; 07-31-2016 at 19:44.

Hammock
    Trail Lair - Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 11' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB / HG
    Suspension
    10' Kevlar Straps
    I like the name! We were rather "Slothy" at times. Looking forward to the November Gluttony Hang.

Quote Originally Posted by RevKev View Post
    I like the name! We were rather "Slothy" at times. Looking forward to the November Gluttony Hang.
    Glad you approve, Kev. It was great meeting you. I really enjoyed comparing notes about the NCT. Hope to see you on the trail!

Some photos:

Last edited by michigandave; 07-31-2016 at 19:41.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Had a great time. Thanks for the trip report and setting this up.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Glad I could kick off my weekend adventures by seeing my hammock people and meeting a few new friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Looks like all was a good time . What I would give to need a jacket right now .

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Dave kept the trip to only 9 paragraphs.
    I know he has more to say....
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like a fantastic time, wish I could have made it. Majortom and his wife posted some pics from their trip on Facebook in the Michigan Backpacking & Hiking group page, and even mentioned "Michigandave"! You're Facebook famous now buddy!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I had a great time! It was fun meeting everyone and relaxing for a few days. Perfect weather around 80° and sunny, right in between that stretch of hot and humid stuff this summer has been dishing out. Can’t get any luckier than that! 46° Friday night felt great!

After mixing it up with the locals there was a little tension, but we were honored to be called “professional campers”, so we were a proud group. They were a loud and obnoxious bunch…probably from Indiana.

Thanks again for the great food and company!

Driving the piney woods.

My setup for the first two nights. I stole RevKev’s site the third night after he left since it was really nice and quiet.

Nice little lake nearby.

Horrible fishing, but a nice place to paddle around.

I really enjoyed swimming and cooling off in this clean, sandy lake.

Sometime during the night the Maple King paid us a visit and puked all over camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast