Hi from Columbus Ohio

Hi....any cheap suggestions on Amazon for a starter hiking hammock...preferably with bug net. I could probably makeshift my own rain guard? I'm 6'1" and 180lbs. Also hoping to use it one night at white sands so on the ground? Thanks! Excited to start hanging out.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome to the forums from Marietta GA.

Instead of Amazon look in to a few of the outstanding vendors we have here on the forums. You will get a quality piece of gear and they can put you in a beginners setup relatively inexpensively.

If you do go the Amazon route, I've heard good things about the Yukon Outfitters hammocks, but have never tried one. Seems like I've heard they run a little short though. I do have their Walkabout rain fly, and it's a good minimalist type tarp for fair weather.

Good luck and happy hanging!

Whatup from Dublin. Ive hears of durability issues on the cheap amazon netted hammocks just reading through reviews. If you accept it may be a disposable hammock to see if you like it, rock on.

For 60-80 you can get a skeeter beeter which is about the most widely used hammock as a beginner camp hammock.

As far as low investment for a relatively complete and high quality setup id look at Hennessy Hammock. Relatively low investment to see if its for you, can be bivyed out on ground.. they were actually the only approved hammock for a lot of popular adventure races.

You can get in the game with a tarp, hammock and suspension (which is the hands down crappiest part of cheapies and main reason not to get one. Suspensions cost 30-40 bucks for a really useable one) for 150.00. Theyre on sale all the time. YMMV

Columbus crew is getting big.

Thanks for the replies! We have gift cards for Amazon which is why I'd prefer that route. I saw several that looked like the Yukon for around $30 with good reviews but who knows? I was kind of wanting to go pretty cheap so if I upgrade we have one for my wife or kids. At over 6' I think I need to be sure one is rather long?

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Another Columbus here! Welcome Ohio1! I don't have the Yukon, but I did pickup a Woot special Sierra Outfitters hammock as a back up, which MAY be very similar. I'm 6'2" and I find it pretty comfy. I don't know how much you have in gift cards, but maybe consider using the cards for a tarp from Amazon (the Noah's tarp worked decent for me) and get a basic hammock from one of the cottage vendors like Dutch or Dream Hammocks for about 40-50 bucks. You won't likely go wrong with those. Good luck and hope to see you at on of our local hangs!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

• + New Posts