DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY MembranePU4000
    Insulation
    Klymit Ins StaticV
    Suspension
    DIY sling/shackle

RBTR 1.0 HyperD Hammock Weight Tested

Cut some blaze orange 1.0 HyperD today and made a hammock with the kids. Cut the raw fabric to 10.5 feet, hemmed the edges, whipped the ends with some paracord I had laying around, and made some whoopies and an adjustable ridgeline out of 7/64 Amsteel. Total weight of the hammock and suspensions is just over half a pound, and it held my butt up, which is about 250 lbs. Even bounced and wiggled around in it for good measure. It's really easy to get a good lay in, very comfortable, and surprisingly stable with hardly any stretch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Sweet!

I have some burnt orange 1.0 hexon that's waiting on me to turn it into something comfy. That weight is impressive.

Hammock
    DIY Ultralight
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Down of Course
    Suspension
    Whoopies and CRL
    I have a couple of the same. It holds 230 lbs w/o issue. However it is VERY intolerant of damage. A little tear becomes a sudden drop with quick stop in short order so keep an eye on it.
    FYI even with it being damage intolerant I use it as my primary even on multi day remote trips.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
    I have a couple of the same. It holds 230 lbs w/o issue. However it is VERY intolerant of damage. A little tear becomes a sudden drop with quick stop in short order so keep an eye on it.
    FYI even with it being damage intolerant I use it as my primary even on multi day remote trips.
    That is awesome, and clearly it's an impressive fabric. That said, knowing that it's damage-intolerant would mess with my head. While I'm hard on gear that I know can stand it, I try to be very conscientious with gear that cannot. However, even weighing well under the rating for these super-lightweight fabrics, I do still worry about abrasion or punctures. I'd hate to get dumped for forgetting to remove my keys/pocket knife/redacted 2A accessory from my person before climbing into my ultralight HyperD...

I think we all -- ultralighters and nonultralighters alike -- get seduced by the sexy, gamelike nature of high-tech gram-counting with our hammock gear and overlook the comparatively mundane value of good old durability and basic trailworthiness. Balance, as in most things, is probably the key to finding a happy medium between light weight and long life in hammocks. I ran into this dilemma 25 years ago with racing mountain bikes, and I find that all the lessons about durability in the field that I learned then carry over to hiking and hanging. My $0.02...but, regardless, that's an impressive hammock!
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-31-2016 at 17:16.

• + New Posts