Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Tall Guys Who Have Tried the RidgeRunner?

I'm considering a lot of new gear, including the RidgeRunner. Seems like a lot of people really find it comfortable.

I know it say's you can be up to 6"6" tall, but I'm 6"4 1/2" and don't want to cut it too close. How tall are you, and how much wiggle room do you have?

Anyone out there my height with a RR? Comfortable?

My build is average, I'm about 215. Not unusually stocky, but definitely not a beanpole either. Wear XXL shirts.
    Last edited by goober; 07-29-2016 at 13:57.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm 6'2" and about 230# and absolutely love my RR.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I am 6'4" and 200#. I just fit in my RR lengthwise, but I can get very comfortable.
    A couple of things...there is a ridge that forms across the hammock width in the head area. I think most people find that to be comfortable and serves as a pillow. For me, the ridge has to hit me in the neck area, since my head is all the way to the end, and I have to fashion some sort of pillow for head support. Second, full length under quilts that are specifically designed for the RR may still leave you with your feet or head hanging over the end of the UQ. A partial length quilt + pad is more satisfactory to me. I have tried 2 different brands of under quilts made specifically for the RR and a few different kinds of quilts made for gathered end hammocks and finally settled on using a pad between the layers instead. I use a long and wide pad and am totally satisfied with the setup.
    IMO - the hammock will fit you just fine - bottom side insulation may be a challenge.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    6', 185lbs....so not "TALL" but I agree that the head ridge can be kind of a love/hate situation. I normally bring a pillow anyway and have several inches of space at the foot end too. I think you should be fine. I just got a Lynx from another forum member but with temps in the 80s at night I haven't had a chance to try it out. I'd agree that pads are a very viable option if you get the double layer, maybe even with the single too. I've been very comfortable and warm using a variety of pads. I'm looking forward to having a dedicated UQ though.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    The RR has sort of an hour-glass shape, so if you are fairly wide around the middle there's a risk you might feel cramped or confined near your waist, apart from the height issue.

Pads can help with this; they raise you up slightly so you feel less like you've rolled into a ditch. If you do plan to use a pad, then I'd recommend getting the double layer RR.

Best bet might be to try the RR out at a group hang, or maybe from another forum member near where you live; even a few minutes in one should tell you if you fit or not. FWIW, I really like my RR.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You may also want to call Brandon and crew at Warbonnet and get their professional opinion as well. I only wish I was taller so I would fit my weight but I absolutely love my RR but I'm 5'9" and 195 lbs. I find the Lynx under-quilts that are built for this hammock to fit perfectly and there's absolutely no fiddling as they simple clip on and your done. A group hang would definitely help decide or get one and if you do not like it they sell really fast here on the message board.

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    I'm 6'2'' , 208# and there is room at top and bottom. I haven't measured the extra space but there's plenty. Brandon would have the exact number. I use a 20' wide insulated Big Agnes air mat and a cut down Gossamer Gear closed cell pad under that, it raises me up some for good view . That set up is warm for summer nights down into the 50*s here in the central Alleghenies.

I am 6'5, 215lbs as well. The RR is perfect. Plenty long enough.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Universal tarp JrB
    Insulation
    LynxUQ SnivelerTQ
    6'1 and i fit very well as long i am laying on my back but i am not sure if i wanted to be any longer than maybe 6'3, though because the "sag" gets more noticable the taller you are, and the lynx underquilt does not go right to the end (almost, though)
    The only complaint i have is, that the hammock is pretty narrow in the midle part, so my knee touches the edges while sleeping on my side (semi fetal position).

I remember a tall guy stating (in the Review page of warbonnetoutdoors.com) that he tried the blackbird XLC and the ridgerunner and chose the BB XLC. I Quote his Review for you:

"I loved both the RR and BB XLC, but can only keep one of them. I am 6 foot 4,250 lbs. and the BB XLC is a great fit. The large diagonal asymmetric design gives nearly as flat of a lay as the RR only with more room and less side pressure. Setting the head lower than the foot is like reclining back in my favorite easy chair; legs elevated, slight bend at hip and knees. It is comfortable through the hips with only the lightest side compression and foot box had no annoying calf pressure line. This thing is a dream come true; I don’t sleep well under the best conditions, and I enjoy going on outings, but I would dread the night, even resorted to heavy bulky gear, i.e. tent, cot, bed roll, cumbersome under the best conditions and impossible all the rest. Absolutely worth the money and the best comfort/convenience to weight/price ratio, you will not be disappointed, 60 day return policy and excellent customer service."
    Last edited by AlexSui; 08-10-2016 at 15:45.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Try a pad. The RR will feel less narrow in the middle if you use a partially-inflated pad (look for a long/wide size) such as the Sea-to-Summit's pads, or similar. It will raise you up slightly. Probably works best in the RR's double-layer version. Depending on the temperatures, you might use a pad with the Lynx or instead of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast