Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

WI>Black River State Forest>August 26-28>location TBD

So, due to the weather related closings of the areas we were planning to camp and hike on the North Country Trail, our August hang is going to be somewhere in the BRSF. This info can be found in the original thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ust-group-hang
    Exactly where remains to be seen, that's where this thread comes in. Having never set foot in this area, I'm relying on information from the interwebs to plan this hang.

I'm starting with this: "The forest offers a great primitive camping experience though backpack camping, which is allowed anywhere on the forest with the exception of Hawk Island." and this: "Backpackers must camp at least one mile away from your vehicle and 100 feet from any designated trail or road. You may park your vehicle in any trail or picnic area parking lot." from this page on the DNR website http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests...r/camping.html
    That should take care of both our site and the hiking we were planning. Hopefully we can keep the hike in to a minimum, from both a logistical standpoint and for our usual feasts!!

Also from that page: " A free Special Camp permit is required and can be picked up at the Castle Mound campground or the Black River Falls DNR Service Center. The permit can be filled out online or, if you’d like us to mail you one, please see our contact information."

And the link to the PDF for that permit http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests...packPermit.pdf

Hopefully, here is a google earth link to the Smrekar lot https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2223.../data=!3m1!1e3
    and the Wildcat lot https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2440.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Along with a trail map/booklet PDF http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests...BRSFTrails.pdf

Both lots can be parked in for free according to this, also from the DNR website: "Visitors must have a vehicle admissions sticker on their vehicle when parked in the picnic area lots next to Castle Mound, Pigeon Creek and East Fork campgrounds. However, admission stickers are not required at either the Wildcat or Smrekar parking lots." By utilizing either, or both, of these lots a State Park sticker won't need to be purchased by those who don't have one.

I'm still scouring google maps to try and find a decent spot and will update as I find suitable areas, which I hope can be done reliably from home......we'll see. Dux, thanks much my friend, posted some pictures and good info from a trip he took there a few years back. Hopefully he can post that here as well. Karl "with a k" also linked these pictures from her trip to the are https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=829d4810c4

Reserving a site, or sites, in one of the campgrounds in the area has been suggested in the old thread also. This being OUR hang, we could also look into that option. There are, or at least were, sites available but there are no pictures of them on the site. A couple of people have been there and can hopefully help with that, should we decide to go that route.

There you have it, my thoughts and research for this hang..........told you guys I'd get it done this time

Let's discuss and settle the details so we can enjoy a weekend in the beautiful Northwoods of WI!!!

Hammock
    They're all good!
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow 0*
    BRSF is very near my home, but have never checked out anything other than Pigeon Falls, and Spaulding pond parks. I'm not sure what hiking is available at either, but I'll start looking into it. If there are any suggestions please put it out there. I can drive down, look it over, take a few pictures, whatever we need.
    "Getting lost is not a waste of time"-Jack Johnson

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Darn. Wish this was a different date. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    In the old thread, the idea of spending Friday night at a campground was presented. That could very well be our best option to get everybody together, then hike and primitive camp from there.

I like the idea, what do the rest of us think about it??

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Question

Swung:

In response to your post #72 in This Thread I would make the following suggestions:

If you have the chance to scout out the Smrekar and Wildcat trailheads, that would be great. The clearing just east of the Smrekar trailhead in particular looks very promising from the online maps I've been looking at. But I've never been there, so who knows? Eyes on would be awesome.

If you could figure out which sites at Pigeon Creek are best for hanging, that could be a fallback option.

The parking lot I posted the pic of in the previous thread (and will in this thread after this post) is the first lot west of the junction of Smrekar Rd and North Settlement Rd. It is on the north side of the road. The stand of red pines in my pics is a couple hundred yards south of that p-lot. Could be another fallback option.
    Last edited by Dux; 07-29-2016 at 19:42.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Signs for trailheads at the junction of Smrekar Rd and North Settlement Rd.

Parking lot just west of those signs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Stand of red pines a couple hundred feet south of the parking lot.

Closer view of the area.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    To keep this thread current here's Swung's post on the old thread:

We're headed that way tomorrow night. I'll see what there is available. Looks like from pigeon creek campground it's about a three mile hike to any of the other established trails. If the one lot looks good, then maybe we just take the cars to the end lot so that they're at least a mile away, and just camp along the way? Mores to come, if there's anything you guys want me to check out, just say the word....I'll try to get some good pics and directions.

and my response:

If you're able to pick out a site, or sites that will work that would be great. Suitability of the lots and surrounding areas for hanging would also be good to know.

Slow and easy hiking, then camping where suitable works for me.....

Any other information that others might want, please ask away....

Hammock
    They're all good!
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow 0*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Swung:

In response to your post #72 in This Thread I would make the following suggestions:

If you have the chance to scout out the Smrekar and Wildcat trailheads, that would be great. The clearing just east of the Smrekar trailhead in particular looks very promising from the online maps I've been looking at. But I've never been there, so who knows? Eyes on would be awesome.

If you could figure out which sites at Pigeon Creek are best for hanging, that could be a fallback option.

The parking lot I posted the pic of in the previous thread (and will in this thread after this post) is the first lot west of the junction of Smrekar Rd and North Settlement Rd. It is on the north side of the road. The stand of red pines in my pics is a couple hundred yards south of that p-lot. Could be another fallback option.

I'll look into it. More to follow!

Hammock
    They're all good!
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow 0*
    so here's the deal....
    We spent the night at the campground as we weren't able to obtain permits for rough camping on short notice. We looked over most of the sites, and found that they would accommodate at best two hammocks each, some maybe not even that. But, you can drive in,there's a swim beach, well water, and bathrooms......if those are necessities than we found our spot. However, we did hike a few of the trails to see if there was any spots that would fit the requirements of the DNR, and be useful to us. There is an Adirondack ski shelter roughly one mile north of the Wildcat trail head parking lot on the Red Oak trail, that has a fire pit, and looks to be good for hanging. The trail in is well maintained as is the shelter, even though it wasn't on any of maps that i was given at the park office? I'll try to load in some photos if I can import them from my phone. Hope this helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast