Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock camping on Isle Royale?

For those of you who have been to Isle Royale with your hammocks, did you find any campsites where lack of trees to hang from was an issue? I'm considering a solo trip to the island for next spring and what little info I've found elsewhere mentions that finding the right tree set up in campsites might be a problem. Of course, this input was from tent campers so take it for what it's worth.

Funny, but now that I've slept in my hammock a few times, I don't even want to go on a trip if it requires me to sleep in a tent anymore. Lol

Thanks in advance for the help. Imaginary bonus points will be awarded if you post up pics from your trip.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I'll make my response quick as I did not hammock camp when I went there. I went there back in 2006-2007 (not sure which one) and I was 16 at the time so I didn't pay all that much attention and we tent camped.

From what I can remember about the sites is that there seemed to be plenty of trees. I was reading other post from a couple years ago on hammocking there and from what I saw, they said if you have more and 3 hammocks, it will be a real challenge. I think a solo trip would be very doable with a hammock. I even think it would be better with a hammock as I remember some of the sights being uneven and rocky and hard to sleep on.

Here are pics, sorry I don't have any of the sights, my pops has all the rest of the pics.

IMG_7305.JPGIMG_7306.JPGIMG_7307.JPGIMG_7308.JPGIMG_7309.JPG

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Going solo, you should not have a problem finding spots to hang. I've hammocked IRNP with my son a few times; we were always able to hang 2 hammocks but, at times we had less than optimal spots to hang (Lake Ritchie and Daisy Farms). Avoid being the last one in to a popular site and you'll have better options.

Campsites are available on a first come basis so, hiking earlier in the day will give you more open options at the end of your day's hike. It is also not unreasonable to keep hiking if you don't find a site you favor.

In my experience, sites along the Minong Ridge Trail seem to be the most hammock friendly and, in my opinion, the most scenic though, the hiking is more challenging.

I have hiked IRNP 6 times. We have seen many more moose in the Spring. We prefer hiking in July and August as the Thimble berries and Blue berries are ripe.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You should check out hangswithraccoons video series on this hike as he found trees at each of his camps.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-9th-16th-2016

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have gone twice and unfortunately I go with ground dwellers so I have had to search a little harder and get more creative. Cant always get the ends of the tarp away from the wind but I have always found a spot to hang and have avoided the staying in the shelters.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Jameson, I've been to IR twice. First trip with a group in group sites, I had hit and miss oportunities being able to hang 3 of the 5 nights. second trip with my son, I only hung once, though I probably could have made it work more often, it was easier to hit shelters and tent with my son. Lots of people have made it work, legal or otherwise, but any trip to IR requires, I think, to be prepared to go to ground. Even hitting the ground, a trip to Isle Royale is worth it.

Don.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9f7efd3c87
    Last edited by Donk_67; 08-24-2016 at 09:54. Reason: Link to photos

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Jameson, I've been to IR twice. First trip with a group in group sites, I had hit and miss oportunities being able to hang 3 of the 5 nights. second trip with my son, I only hung once, though I probably could have made it work more often, it was easier to hit shelters and tent with my son. Lots of people have made it work, legal or otherwise, but any trip to IR requires, I think, to be prepared to go to ground. Even hitting the ground, a trip to Isle Royale is worth it.

Don.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9f7efd3c87

Hey Don, great pictures! I definitely want to go to Isle Royale, so maybe a tent will be the way to go for that one trip. Ew, just saying the word "tent" makes me ill. Lol!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly / Hamarak
    Insulation
    HG/WM
    Suspension
    Cinch/Dutch
    Images
    Just got back from there and we had 3 hammockers and used only group sites. We stayed a total of 7 nights and hung just fine in the following campgrounds. S Desor, Todd Harbor, McCargoe Cove, Moskey Basin and Three Mile.

Hammock
    Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant
    Keep us posted on your trip! We are planning a trip there next Fall!
    “Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.”
    ― Steven Wright

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    I get the impression that tent campers often think it's harder to find hangable trees than it really is, if one doesn't insist on the perfect hang each time. My one trip to Isle Royale (west end, Feldtmann loop) was in my tent camping days (BE, Before Enlightenment), so I don't recall whether the sites were hammock friendly.

One thing I often wonder about: usually, when one hangs at an established campsite, unless the trees are perfectly located, one is not actually hanging right over the tent pad, but is in the trees off to the side. I consider this OK, as long as I am not intruding on a neighbor's site. Are park rangers generally OK with this? Has anybody been hassled or fined because their hammock was a few feet away from the tent pad?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast