Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question I'm planning to replace my bed for a hammock. I came here for advice.

Hello!

A few days ago I started to think about redesigning my room, since all the furniture is already old and I want to get something new. When talking about it with some friends, one of them suggested a hammock as a joke. I really liked the idea, and I started to research about hammocks. So far, it seems like hammocks are way better than beds, and they are way more economic and beautiful to my eyes, so I don't see why not.

I'm from Spain. First of all, here's a crappy top-view drawing that I made about my room.full.png

I'm going to replace that bed for a hammock, but due to the room design (and because I want to be able to see that TV from the hammock), I don't think that I could hang it to the walls. A stand could be an option, but for what I've seen the floor would get way too crowded by the stand. I've been researching about hanging it from the roof, since that would be the best solution. [URL="https://www.yellowleafhammocks.com/pages/how-to-hang-a-hammock-indoors-or-outside#"]This is what I've found so far about it/URL], but it seems to be just for hammock chairs. Would this work for a full-size hammock? If not, what alternatives do I have? Any resource about how could I hang the hammock from the roof would be awesome.

Besides that, any recommendation about what kind of hammock should I get / from where should I buy them? I would like to get a cheap hammock to know how a hammock feels since I never used a hammock, and if I like it I could get a decent one for sleeping.

I think that's everything I wanted to ask. Sorry if this doesn't go here, but I didn't find any question-related category in the forum.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Ticket To The Moon, Dutchware, Grand Trunk sells cheap hammocks.

Hanging from the roof would work if you get the angle wide enough, but it'll take up a lot of room and you gotta put it into a beam or something very strong. The suspension needs to come down around a 30 degree angle, which means a very wide suspension if you're hanging a comfy 11' gathered end hammock.

Maybe the Hammock Beta would be good? http://www.hammocktent.com/en/products/hammocks/

I think it allows a more narrow hang angle which might be good for you. Requires a decent inflatable pad, but should make it comfy and spaced out. Lots of other choices too... check out Wilderness Logics and Tree to Tree for comfy netless.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Apex Tarp
    Insulation
    Static V Luxe
    Suspension
    1" Nylon Webbing
    Images
    Search Mayan, Brazilian, and Nicaraguan Hammocks. they are approx 11-13ft long (less than 11ft when hung) and are made for sleeping in (softer fabrics and more comfortable amounts of elasticity). many different designs, colors, and prices. the best thing is during the day, if its in the way you can detach it and its gone! so you can hang a hammock anywhere in your room that you have an 11' length of space and maybe 5' width just in the middle where you sleep. i've seen people with very small rooms hang it over their desk or couch and unhook it in the morning.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    a stand would actually free up room by getting the bed out of there. with your bed gone you could use the hammock as both a chair for lounging while watching TV as well as for sleeping. I've been thinking of doing this very thing.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

If I thought that I could get away with putting eye bolts or hooks in the wall, that would be the way I would go. Actually, that is what I did. And I sleep in my hammock every night.

I would attach one hook at the upper right indented corner. Be sure that you are going into a stud. Then I would place the other hook in the back of the wardrobe on the left side. In the morning unhook the hammock from the indented corner of the room, and place it on the hook in the back of the wardrobe. Then close the wardrobe door and you have your floor space back.

This seems like it would put you in good position to watch the TV from sitting in the hammock too.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use eyebolts in both the living room and bedroom and sit and lay watching TV. I hook both ends to the same bolt to run the sweeper. If company shows up I unhook in living room and move to bedroom.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I did the very same thing in my boys room. I waited for my wife to leave and then installed some eye bolts to hang from. The key here (depending on your structure) is to install the anchors in the corners. This will take advantage of the extra studs where the walls come together. This is also key to seeing that TV. I would take a close look at the angles and figure out where you want your head and the approximation to the TV. My last choice would be the straight wall to wall for the reasons mentioned above. If you choose a gathered end hammock you will most likely have a wall of fabric between your face and the screen.

I will say that this is a real handy setup as you can use carabiners on whatever mounting hardware you choose and just move the hammock to one corner when its not in use. It really is a very efficient setup.

Goes without saying to check your building structure. Metal studs are out of the question.

In the pic below the TV is mounted on the wall facing my son.

Let us know how it turns out.

Capture.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I watch TV from a hammock every evening I'm home. I use a Turtle Lady hammock stand (search Hammock Forums for information). When designing your room layout, remember that your feet need to face toward the TV and take into account the angle you will lay in. Also, it's easier to see the TV if it's up high rather than down low.

Best of luck to you and WELCOME to HF!!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    No metal studs here! House is 97+ years old. Real 2x4s So once I figured center stud in went the eyebolts and the hanging began and as soon as some dining room furniture leaves new hanging area for new Amok. Im in heaven ! 11' gathered end in bedroom, Clark NX270 in living room and Amok in dining room! Now what would work in kitchen?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    No metal studs here! House is 97+ years old. Real 2x4s So once I figured center stud in went the eyebolts and the hanging began and as soon as some dining room furniture leaves new hanging area for new Amok. Im in heaven ! 11' gathered end in bedroom, Clark NX270 in living room and Amok in dining room! Now what would work in kitchen?
    You must be single!! I cant get the go-ahead from the boss for a hammock in the bedroom. Maybe a hammock chair in the kitchen.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast