Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am not a fan of the integrated systems. If there are no bugs I don't want to have to bring a bug net. Get a wide hammock (Dutch wide for example) and a separate bug net. I prefer the the double ended stuff sack to the snake skins and its easy to quickly deploy and pack your hammock. I also got away from the whoopie sling suspension because I just found it to be difficult to use. especially with cold hands. I just go from the tree strap to mule tape and becket hitch to hammock's continuous loops. I have yet to find and easier and faster way to deploy a hammock.
    Similar to this guys setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0u25ZBcr20

Don't skip on the under quilt. Just buy one for $100 and be done with it. You will be cold and uncomfortable without one. there is no way around it that is comfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm27 View Post
    Temps will make an UQ nice, but probably not essential.
    Just FYI, Paul over at Arrowhead just knocked $20 off his most popular under-quilt - the jarbridge. No affiliation with the company, except for being a happy customer. And Campmor still offers 20% coupon for a Noah 12 or 9 tarp. So for the price of higher end (les weight) tarp you could still get into a simpler tarp and still cover your butt ;<)

Hammock
    BB and RR
    Tarp
    HG STD CF W/Doors
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I'm also interested in a way to simplify set up. An integrated hammock with UQ like BoneFire Whisper is the right concept, except I'm not set on having a one size fits all insulation.
    My biggest consternation is the jumble of shock cord suspensions on an UQ. This is what makes the new WB Wooki so interesting to me.
    >
    What are you guys doing to control the snake pit of suspensions coming off your UQ's if packed loosely in the bottom of your bags?

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Square View Post
    I'm also interested in a way to simplify set up. An integrated hammock with UQ like BoneFire Whisper is the right concept, except I'm not set on having a one size fits all insulation.
    My biggest consternation is the jumble of shock cord suspensions on an UQ. This is what makes the new WB Wooki so interesting to me.
    >
    What are you guys doing to control the snake pit of suspensions coming off your UQ's if packed loosely in the bottom of your bags?
    The only conceptual difference between the Wookie and the Whisper is that air drafts between the UQ and the hammock are still possible with the Wookie, but not with the Whisper (allowing for a true all-in-one set up). The Whisper uses a 30F platform to allow for use in warmer weather and has attachment points that match most 3/4 length UQs for layering up an additional UQ for use in colder temperatures.

The benefit to the Wookie is that if you already have a Blackbird or Traveler and are looking for a way to reduce drafts and keep everything closer together, the option now exists. This option is cheaper, but not necessarily lighter.

Best of luck. Both Brandon and I will be here to help answer any questions you have as well as be happy to serve you.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    BB and RR
    Tarp
    HG STD CF W/Doors
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I'm so torn....decisions...decisions...I have the BB, but saw Brother Bones and the Whisper at Trail Days. Great Product and such a wealth of knowledge. I wish I had a way to try yours out this time of year. I'm afraid the heat without ventilation would make it a rough night. Then on the other hand the light weight and simplicity is incredible.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Square View Post
    I'm so torn....decisions...decisions...I have the BB, but saw Brother Bones and the Whisper at Trail Days. Great Product and such a wealth of knowledge. I wish I had a way to try yours out this time of year. I'm afraid the heat without ventilation would make it a rough night. Then on the other hand the light weight and simplicity is incredible.
    I think the bonefire would work when temps go below 70 at night. You may not need as much top insulation but still would be comfortable. Also since there are no drafts the bonefire can push the low temp rating for some.

Bsquare you know where you can get a bonefire with the ultimate all-in-one quick setup to test once the night temps drop a bit.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Sniveler/MtW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie cushions
    Wilderness Logics has the Lazy Slug in mesh, which weighs 4.5oz. I have my bug net, clothes, pillow, TQ, hammock, and UQ all stuffed into the mesh tubes, which hold everthing together and keep stuff off the ground. The mesh tubes get stuffed into the bottom of my pack liner. Sometimes I use the mesh tubes to catch fish or I'll put my legs in the tubes and cinch them at my ankles and upper thighs when the bugs are bad. So, as you can see, they are a multi-use item.

You should check out the nube'. It's expensive and weighs a few pounds but it's worth it. The shape of it is more aerodynamic with the deep cat cuts so the wind can travel underneath freely while still being protected. also there's no seam at the ridgeline .instead the seam is around the bug net. I first thought having the bug net attached all the time would be annoying but it doesn't bother me but you want to put some stuff in the gear stash to keep it down.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When your first post on HF is pitching a particular vendor, people might get the impression that you work for the vendor.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12