Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    There used to be a "like" button of some sort on Tapatalk, but somewhere along the lines, it vanished. I guess someone "unliked" it and dismissed that feature.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    As has been proven each time this issue comes up, too many of the old dogs around here think it's a bad idea, and they apparently have the power. So if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else. That's basically the attitude.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    As has been proven each time this issue comes up, too many of the old dogs around here think it's a bad idea, and they apparently have the power. So if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else. That's basically the attitude.
    As has been proven each time this issue comes up, too many of the "young dogs" just don't have any compelling arguments for what's so great about the "like" button, probably because there aren't any.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    I hate that you think this. I'm just not sure many of us here need our egos stroked by have a "lot of likes". I do believe this is a youth "thing" as my daughter talks alot about how many likes this gets and that gets. I personally could care less if something is liked or not.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0 Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    depends on how you look at it.

instead let's consider something else: let's consider the question:

"What data would a program need to determine how USEFUL a post might be with regards to future searches by members looking for information?"

Note that USEFUL is different from POPULAR... somebody could post something frivolous and that can be just as popular as something useful. So there needs to be a way to sort the wheat from the chaff. At it's heart, this is what the "like" system is supposed to accomplish, really...but it doesn't. Instead the theoretical usefulness of the like button is diluted by the frivolous nature of people.

Because really, if you're going to add a feature to the site, it should be one that improves it, and most of the time, the reason you go digging through older posts is to find some useful information, that you know is there, that you read once, or that you HOPE is there. It should not just be a feel-good cosmetic thing which is what Facebook's "like" system is. Go ahead, search out the things on Facebook that have the most likes and tell me how they improved your life...

It'd be much more useful instead for the site to have a function to determine how useful a post is based on a slew of statistics to figure out:

Does it stand up to the test of time?
    Is there out of date information in it?
    Are people going back to it as a reference source?
    Is this a repeat post that can be consolidated? or if someone asks a common question, can they be redirected to the answer instead of posting at all (would you like to read one of THESE similar posts instead?)
    How do we tell the difference between a useful conversation, and one that is a frivolous joke, a look isn't this cool, an argument or a flame war (and can we flag them as such, and notify a Moderator when needed)

Most of these can be figured out by looking at the number of views, comments, matching keywords and phrases, time between comments, stats that already exist, and some that might need to be created. Popularity is much easier to determine than usefulness, and that can be done without anyone clicking a "like" button, but I think for a site like this, usefulness is much more important

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Images
    Nicely stated, WalksIn2Trees.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I hate that you think this. I'm just not sure many of us here need our egos stroked by have a "lot of likes". I do believe this is a youth "thing" as my daughter talks alot about how many likes this gets and that gets. I personally could care less if something is liked or not.
    Agreed. My son posted a picture from vacation and within fifteen minutes said, guess how many likes this picture just got? Some sense of pride, accomplishment, or success. Makes them feel good? I find myself doing the same thing occasionally.

I think some good points are always made but to me, agree it has to "do" something.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    To me the stickies are a collection of the most liked because people find them useful and relevent, and therefor popular. Walksin2trees captures my sentiment fairly well, i really don't need nor want that type of validation that tends follow (hey same colour hammock as me... **like**), i personally don't see the value. if they do add a feature to like a post, it wont bother me, I just don't see that i would use it. Do i think it is generational? Probably... Im just a middle aged guy with a love/hate relationship with technology.
    Niagara

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This type of thing works for Reddit or Facebook, because they were designed for that purpose. HammockForums uses an older forum style that wouldn't benefit from something like this. Just too cumbersome IMO. I do like going to Reddit and searching for the most upvoted, or most controversial posts just to see just what makes them so interesting. Its quick and easy, and the most helpful comments rise to the top, and the less helpful are pushed out of the conversation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12