Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD SuperLight Jungle
    Insulation
    EMS Crash Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Lightbulb Idea for an insulating blanket

Thinking of making a sleeping blanket/quilt for Texas backpacking adventures, hoping for some feedback.

My idea is to take a piece of medium loft/low weight fleece, like 1/2" or so, tack (spot glue) an emergency space blanket to the 'outside' of it, and then encase the whole thing in a ripstop outer sleeve.

Seems like the fleece would catch the heat, the space blanket would keep it from leaving, and the ripstop will protect the whole mess.

This would mainly be for warm weather hanging, and other than being stupid crinkly/noisy from the foil blanket, seems like not a terrible idea. Could possibly also be modified to fit as an underquilt. Maybe?

Thoughts?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would skip the space blanket as it will act as a vapor barrier. Especially in TX. You may get a lot of condensation.
    Maybe just the fleece and ripstop. With some reaking you could get it to work as a UQ....make darts in it to fit your hammock shape perhaps.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Fleece is heavy and doesn't pack down very well. Space blankets will warm you surprisingly well however, as shug suggested, you likely won't appreciate the condensation. My first UQ attempt was a space blanket and I nearly drown in the thing.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I've used an unadorned fleece blanket as an underquilt in the summer with great success. The only advantage to the added layer of ripstop that I can see would be to keep the fleece dry if you get rain blowing under or splashing up.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I made a decent summer underquilt with a blanket made for picnicking or other outdoor activities I bought at a local discount store. Like these from Bed, Bath & Beyond:

BB&B.jpg

They're nice because they're very lightweight polyfill (mine is thin fleece) with a nylon water-resistant layer already attached.

Search "picnic blanket" or "outdoor blanket" to find at almost any discount store. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 07-28-2016 at 10:45.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Just making a simple Apex Climashield quilt would be just as easy, pack smaller, and not have issues with condensation.

If you can sew an outer sleeve for your idea, you could easily sew anot Apex quilt.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I made a blanket to use in my hammock by sewing 2.5 oz Climashield around the edges to the wrong side of 2 yards of Hyper D (currently on clearance for $4 something a yard at RipStopByTheRoll.com ) then sewed another 2 yrd piece of Hyper D (right sides together) to the stack (Hyper D right side up, Hyper D wrong side up, Climashield), leaving a 6-8 inch opening to pull the whole thing right side out through. (BE SURE TO ALWAYS HAVE THE CLIMASHIELD ON THE BOTTOM, AGAINST YOUR SEWING MACHINE's CLOTH PULL, rather than on top, in contact with the pressure foot. Otherwise it can be a nightmare to sew, but always keeping the CS as the bottom layer when sewing makes it easy to sew.) Then pull it right side out and see shut the small opening between the layers. Then I just folded the sides in at the bottom and sewed them together to form a footbox. Quick easy Top Quilt that works beautifully in a hammock and is WAY, WAY lighter and more compressible than fleece. It will do you fine down to 50 degrees. If you're going to be in colder weather, just bump up the thickness of the Climashield accordingly. (3.6 for down to 40 degrees, 5.0 for down to 30 degrees, 7.5 for down to 10 degrees).

You can make an Under Quilt, to keep you warm from below, too, using the same materials (but use CALENDARED Hyper D or another light material that will resist wind). Dutch on MakeYourGear.com offers a kit for the underquilt and excellent, easy to follow, detailed instructions.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 07-28-2016 at 12:01.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have a fleece blanket I made by sewing (2) of those 50"X60" fleece throws into a 60"X100" blanket and facing it with some 1.9oz Multicam ripstop. I made the finished blanket about 60"X80" by folding up the extra 20" of fleece into a pocket that acts a little like a footbox. I didn't bother with another layer of ripstop on the 'bottom'.

It's way 'heavy', doesn't compress very well, has poorly sewn stitches, but I love it. It pretty much lives full time on my couch. I usually only take it 'camping' when I stay in the cabin at Scout camp, but I have used it a few times in moderate weather. I think it's a little warmer than my poncho liner, but no where close to my 30 degree sleeping bag or a wool blanket. It's too warm for summer camping here in the South, and not really enough for winter.

For the $10-$15 I have invested in it I believe it's a great bit of kit for what I use it for.

Hammock
    DD SuperLight Jungle
    Insulation
    EMS Crash Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As expected, y'all are the best!

Thanks for the tips.
    “There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't sit still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will. They range the field and rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Their's is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.” ― Robert W. Service

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Instead of fleece I think Snugpak offers their jungle blanket for $24.

I understand the concern about condensation with space blankets, but "Survive Outdoors Longer (SOL)" makes bivvies that are breathable. Not sure how this will work. I may pick one up to augment my off the shelf under quilt. But at $40 they are half what you can get a Jarbridge under-quilt for right now.

2 Go Systems offers something similar but in shape that may work better for an improvised under-quilt. But more expense.

Please note this is info I have gathered. I have not worked with these products. I am extremely happy with my Jarbridge. I do think I will pick up one of the bivvies for day pack and if I am carrying it will probably tinker with how it would work best with the rest of my hammock shelter system. But no experience yet - discount as such.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast