Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Dream Hammock Sparrow Vs. Clark NX-270

I have been hammocking almost 1.5 years now. I am looking to upgrade my Kammok Roo and DIY hammocks to a 4 Season all-in-one.
    I have narrowed down my 2 choices to the;

1) Dream Hammock Sparrow. 11 feet long, double layer, 70" wide with 1.6 Hyper-D
    2) Clark NX-270

Both hammock are just about the same weight according to the Papa Smurf calculator and Clark website. So weight is not a factor I am looking at.

I know both hammocks are quality. I have talked with both. I am sure I would be happy with both, but trying to decide what would make me the happiest.

These are my 2 main conflicts. There are others too, but minor.
    + With the Sparrow I love how I can make it my own. Customize the color and size and features. I can take the net and cover off if I want, or have one or the other.
    + Clark is a wider/roomier on the inside, and has pockets on the bottom you can now get to from the inside.

What I am looking at is durability, comfort, ease of use, function, accessories, material feel. How does it feel in shorts and a T-Shirt?
    With the NX-270 what is the comfort temp before you get Cold Butt Syndrome? Do the pockets work below 65 degrees F?

I am 6'3" and 240 lbs. Both hammocks are rated comfortable for my size. I know that you hang different in the Clark and also the lay is different. As this will be a big ticket item for me, and the research/analytical mind that I have, I would love to hear more and get more info.

I have looked through and read lots on each hammock, but was unable to find any real comparison between the two.

So if you have both, used both I would love to hear from you. I would also love to hear from those that have one or the others.
    Pros and Cons are welcome.

Thanks. Happy Hanging.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm a NX270 owner it is definitely my go to hammock. I also own several gathered end hammocks 11' , less than 10' ,with and without bug nets, sorry none are the Dream brand. If I had bought my Clark first I probably would not own the others. I've laid in mine with shorts and tank top or no shirt at all and find it to be comfortable. Not a lot of help but that's my two cents.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Although I don't have those exact models, I do have hammocks from both brands. There is something about a Dream Hammock and how it is personalized to you. The craftsmenship on a DH is just a little better and it has a hand made feel. Clark is nice and very durable but it will never be as sexy and a DH.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Since your talking 4 season, what insulation are you using?

I don't know about the Clark, but the Dream Hammocks have a custom feature that matches these hammocks to UGQ UQ's for a custom fit.

Good luck on your ultimate purchase.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have the NX 270 and its a fantastic do-it-all bridge with storage, etc. The materiel does have that plastic/vinyl feel compared to my ticket and that is so far the only thing I don't like. Still, shorts and t-shirt are fine, no sense of stickiness. I swapped the suspension just because it fit easier and detached (lot of tree sap in my area) but even the stock worked well.
    That said I'm looking at the sparrow after getting the Incubator under quilt* and probably their top quilt. I love the idea of the super soft material like my ticket uses.
    Does the sparrow have the same invincibility against mosquitoes? I have no idea but those bugs better bring tools to get me in the Clark top or bottom!
    They are both 4 season, both hammocks, both have a bug net and cover (Clark is both all the time but I can't tell if the sparow is an either/or), but that is where the similarities seem to end.
    Yes, you can custom tune and tweak the sparrow (which I love and hate as I like too many color combos) and the Clark is one or two colors. The sparrow can be double layer, the Clark has storage, etc.
    I doubt you would be disappointed with either and in both cases there is a strong resale, well, as long as you don't get too funky on the colors.
    *incubators will work on my Clark, the ticket, and any other hammock I'm likely to get including the sparrow. I haven't low-temp tested the nx as I got it in june but the vertex with z-liner and 20degree down sleeping bag had me super comfy at 20-25 in just underwear and tshirt).
    Oh, durability: the vertex has about 100 nights on it in a variety of trips and conditions yet would easily pass as brand new. Not a thread loose even from repeated use of the Z-liners. Its a tank which is one reason her weight is up there. That said, Dream has a great reputation so I don't see that being an issue.

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie
    Im an owner of a dream hammock dangerbird SL. It is a roomie hammock. I do not know much about the clark hammock, but.... Go for a single layer, you actual dont need the extra fabric and weight. Learned that from my warbonnet blackbird 1.1 double layer. You'll save 40$ on the sparrow. If you dont have a underquilt, save some more money and maby go for a dangerbird with extra zippers and a underquilt. You can hang compression bags on the ridgeline for more storage. The clark do look awsome, but you do have to fiddle with those poles everytime you hanging it up and taking it down.
    Up to 7 weeks waiting time on dream hammock. The clark is in stock. So, how fast do you need a hammock?
    The dream hammock is handmade with real good fabric. If something is happening to your hammock , they are happy to help you out. Go for a dream hammock.
    Warbonnet superfly as 4 season tarp is prefered.

Regards from Norway

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    I don't have either but one of guys I hang with has the Sparrow, and it's great. It's actually on my bucket list to get one

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have a sparrow. 2.2 hex 70 outer and 1.6 hyper d xl inner. it's spacious. I can side sleep with no problems. It's really well built. I appreciate being able to customize it to my liking as well. No off the shelf it is what it is with any of the Dream Hammocks really. Your build is completely custom built. Here's a pic of mine simply because it's so awesome I like to show it off. 20151127_113259_zpssix0uvdj.jpg
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Thanks all for the input. I like my data and hearing from others.
    For those of you that do have DH, did anyone get, use, like any of the extras?
    IE: Ridgeline organizer, Peak Shelf, Storage Pocket (open and or zippered)?

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanbluekj View Post
    Thanks all for the input. I like my data and hearing from others.
    For those of you that do have DH, did anyone get, use, like any of the extras?
    IE: Ridgeline organizer, Peak Shelf, Storage Pocket (open and or zippered)?
    I have the zippered pocket, beverage holder, ridge line organizer on my sparrow. The Smurfs place them in perfect position to be easily used. As with the rest of the hammock, top shelf quality. I've used the beverage holder a few times to hold drinks, but mostly it's where I put my keys or other small items I don't want in my pockets.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast