Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

UGQ Winter Dream vs SLD Winter Haven

I know there has been a couple of posts that asked people to compare tarps. And most of what I read have read have been about what people like better. It sounds like there are fans on both sides and I can't go wrong with either tarp. But on paper they both look super similar and I am having a hard time differentiating between them.

So I want to know more about specific features. Like does one have better workmanship than the other? I know they both make great tarps, but does one use stitching that is supposed to be stronger than the other? Are split rings better than D rings, etc?
    Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
    Pippin: What about breakfast?
    Aragorn: You've already had it.
    Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Everything I own from SLD -- including a couple of very fine tarps -- is flawless, absolutely meticulous in detail down to the last thread. Jared's philosophy is to use very wisely a minimum amount of material to give you the maximum performance it can. Even my super-skimpy lightweight Simplicity Asym tarp is perfectly shaped to mate to the tie-out points on my Trail Lair hammock and has proven very durable and effective in the Pacific Northwest's wind and rain thus far. He uses the elegantly strong and lightweight Beastie D's on the ridge line and LineLoc 3's on the side tie-outs, all premium hardware.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Biggest difference is UGQ uses binding tape on all the edges, ridgeline included. SLD does a flat felled ridgeline and rolled hems all around.

You will find proponents of both. Workmanship on both is going to be excellent and comparable to one another.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Overall both tarps are very similar, the WD has been in production longer and was one of our first tarp offerings 4 yrs ago. We do edge bind all our tarps for both aesthetics and recently a structural purpose. Our guy out detail attached directly to the edge tape transferring forces along the edge of the entire tarp, the traditional use of a reinforcement panel and the guy out attached to it can cause most of the guy out stresses to be applied to a small patch of fabric. As fabrics have become lighter and lighter it has become very important to distribute forces evenly and not in a concentrated location for long term durability.

We discontinued the use of reinforcement panels, heavy webbing, and d-rings at the guy outs roughly 18 months ago in both an effort to provide a lighter product and apply forces evenly along the edge of the tarp. The result is our unique and for now the only vendor offering this light weight double slip ring system. We recommend attaching to both split rings for any guy outs as a single split ring may fail. The split rings can be replaced if there is a failure with minimal effort, failed d-rings will require a more involved repair.

The WD also have snap closures on the door, you can either overlap the doors if desired or use the snaps to secure them. I'm not aware if the SLD tarp has this feature as standard.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Overall both tarps are very similar, the WD has been in production longer and was one of our first tarp offerings 4 yrs ago. We do edge bind all our tarps for both aesthetics and recently a structural purpose. Our guy out detail attached directly to the edge tape transferring forces along the edge of the entire tarp, the traditional use of a reinforcement panel and the guy out attached to it can cause most of the guy out stresses to be applied to a small patch of fabric. As fabrics have become lighter and lighter it has become very important to distribute forces evenly and not in a concentrated location for long term durability.

We discontinued the use of reinforcement panels, heavy webbing, and d-rings at the guy outs roughly 18 months ago in both an effort to provide a lighter product and apply forces evenly along the edge of the tarp. The result is our unique and for now the only vendor offering this light weight double slip ring system. We recommend attaching to both split rings for any guy outs as a single split ring may fail. The split rings can be replaced if there is a failure with minimal effort, failed d-rings will require a more involved repair.

The WD also have snap closures on the door, you can either overlap the doors if desired or use the snaps to secure them. I'm not aware if the SLD tarp has this feature as standard.
    Thanks Paul! This is the exact information I was hoping to get!
    Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
    Pippin: What about breakfast?
    Aragorn: You've already had it.
    Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Interesting write up! I love the customizing on your stuff!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get them both and then return with a comparison for future request like this Seriously though both are great tarps and you can't go wrong with either.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    ...The WD also have snap closures on the door, you can either overlap the doors if desired or use the snaps to secure them. I'm not aware if the SLD tarp has this feature as standard.
    The SLD Winter Haven has this same feature ("deluxe doors") as an available option (+$20, I think), using Velcro on the vertical edges of the doors instead of snaps for a very complete seal.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    The SLD Winter Haven has this same feature ("deluxe doors") as an available option (+$20, I think), using Velcro on the vertical edges of the doors instead of snaps for a very complete seal.
    We tried velcro as an option way back when, beside being much heavier than snaps I never could get it to hold as well as snaps. Plus the velco just seamed to get full of junk over time. We played with zippers as well but again the added weight and expense didn't make sense. The snaps are part of the base price so no $$ add for them.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I received my Winter Dream tarp yesterday, and was very impressed. Its way to hot to give it anything more than a quick hang, but the workmanship is absolutely superb. I ordered mine in the Membrane Silpoly, and it feels very lightweight but it is huge! I don't know how durable it is yet, so I can't comment on that. I took it out of the stuff sack to examine the tarp, and realized it is pretty darn hard to get that huge tarp back in... luckily i had some wilderness logic snake skins ready and it easily fit in them. I think I am going to appreciate the edge tape. It gives it a bit of structure, and presumably some real added strength where you need it most. I went ahead and ordered a small pillow which arrived with the tarp. It is quite small, and I had my doubts if it was going to add anything to my comfort but I was pleasantly surprised. It now has a permanent home inside my hammock sack, as it is small enough to fit.

This was my first purchase from UGQ, and I am very pleased. The wait was worth it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast