Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

Ideal underquilt length and positioning

I have been researching underquilt setups but I still haven't fount what I was looking for exactly.

I know that the top part of the underquilt should be right above your shoulders. And that you are supposed to tighten the cinch buckles so that there are no gaps.

But it doesnt really say where the bottom part of the quilt should hit. I know that it really depends on your sleep position or your height. But in the ideal world, if the torso length underquilt was magically able to shrink and lengthen, where would you want the top end (I assume right above shoulders) and where would you want the bottom part to end? Is it right under your buttocks, mid upper leg, under your knee, mid calf, ankle? And what about for full length quilts. Do you want that to go past your head and past your feet?

Also I noticed that my hammock (55") width is much larger than my underquilt (44"). What should the ideal width of the underquilt be?

Also, my primary suspension is not the type that is adjustable. And the length of the primary suspesion is short enough that when I put it on, and I am not lying in the hammock, the primary suspension is pulling the hammock ends enough that my structural ridge line is very slack. What is the ideal length of the primary suspension vs the ridge line? Should it be the same, slightly sorter, etc?

I think the 3/4 length underquilt I bought may be in limbo length. I think for a torso length quilt, If I have the top on my shoulders, the bottom is right at my achilles tendon (I had a previous post where people helped me so that it is not painful anymore or uncomfortable, but it still feels like my whole leg is supported and my feet are hanging off the bed). But if I pull it up so that it is mid-calf, the top is at a weird point where I get gaps around my head. So should I try to sell it and get a shorter quilt, or should I sell it get get a full length quilt, or should I keep it and just fiddle with it some more?
    Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
    Pippin: What about breakfast?
    Aragorn: You've already had it.
    Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you are not careful you can over think the length of a UQ. This is also a personal choice and what you will find is what one hanger likes or suggest will differ from the next guy. Unfortunately the best way to find out what you like is to purchase and try or go to a hang and test. Your general guild lines are reasonable so it's really going to be a personal endeavor. I would say start with the first "big" decision is do you want a full length or short. Then decide on what you will supplement the short with and go from there. I personally like full length UQ that go from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet and this isn't too hard for me as I'm only 5' 9".

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Some of my thoughts in this thread:

Full, Short, 3/4...Don't knock it till you try it

To sum it up, it's impossible to say until you try them yourself. Simply put, the safest and easiest thing is to get a full length just a few inches taller than you.

I'd keep playing around with your 3/4 a little more. Give it a chance. Then try to decide if it's right for you after a few good tests.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    "I'd keep playing around with your 3/4 a little more. Give it a chance. Then try to decide if it's right for you after a few good tests."

I agree with him. However, if it never feels quite right for you, just get a full-length uq and call it a day. No worries!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks for the replies.

So it sounds like a full length quilt is easier since you dont have to worry about where it is in relation to your body?

Since I am a beginner at this whole hammocking thing, will the full length be better for me since it is easier?

I also didnt know if a torso length quilt was supposed to fit say between your shoulders and mid upper let to be the most comfortable or most thermally efficient. But it sounds like it is personal preference.
    Last edited by 2nd Breakfast; 07-27-2016 at 11:26.
    Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
    Pippin: What about breakfast?
    Aragorn: You've already had it.
    Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I started with a full length and it was just so easy to set up and it always worked. I blame getting a 3/4 on wanting to reduce bulk, weight and just boredom....always looking for new things to try!

I don't know if there is a right/wrong way to position the 3/4, but just over the shoulders down to your calves seems right. At 5'9", it's neck-to-end of legs for me...few inches above my ankle.

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    ... I personally like full length UQ that go from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet and this isn't too hard for me as I'm only 5' 9".
    Likewise; being that I'm only 5'8", I made a DIY 6' UQ. This is more than enough to insulate from the bottoms of my feet to past the top of my head. Also, being that we lay on a diagonal, this actually gives you a bit more excess in UQ length.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    The (one of) silver lining to being new and getting quality gear is that if it isn't optimal you can sell it on the forum for close to retail. Nobody likes to "lose $" but sometimes it's a cost of finding the gear that is "just right".

And yes, the full length is typically easier. Hammocking, in general, has a lot of fiddle factor.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hmmm, I don't think I ever put much thought into length, ever. I buy the appropriate quilt for my height, and I'm done. I guess I trust that the vendors won't steer me wrong.

I have an HG 3/4 Phoenix 40*, an HG 3/4 Phoenix 20* UQ, and a 0* Incubator full-length UQ. I hardly ever use my 3/4 UQs below 30* F, preferring to use my 0* Incubator. I used to try to go below 20* using a 3/4 length UQ (went down to 13* F), but my feet got cold so I got the full length.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I started with a full length and it was just so easy to set up and it always worked. I blame getting a 3/4 on wanting to reduce bulk, weight and just boredom....always looking for new things to try!

I don't know if there is a right/wrong way to position the 3/4, but just over the shoulders down to your calves seems right. At 5'9", it's neck-to-end of legs for me...few inches above my ankle.
    The 3/4 UQ is a compromise. Like Mark said it saves you weight, bulk, & $$$ in your summer kit.

In the summer most want to carry a smaller backpack and a full length UQ or giant winter tarp will just not fit.

summer pack 30L

Spring/Fall pack 55L

Real Winter(not a south of the mason dixon line winter haha) pack 90L

Typical summer rig

Typical Spring/Fall

Typical Winter

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast