Hammock
    Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I didnt mean to make it sound like I thought the vendors were steering me wrong. I don't think that at all. And in all my communications with any of the cottage vendors here, they have been nothing but helpful.

I was just wondering about the lengths because a torso length varies from vendor to vendor. The edge is 46", a pheonix is 52", and a 3/4 zeppelin is 55". Plus a torso length will fit someone who is 4'11" differently than someone like Tim Duncan who is 6'11". So yes, while I don't think that vendors will steer me wrong, I think that different torso lengths will be most ideal for a range of heights or torso lengths. I know I am not average height, so its quite possible that I either need to go shorter or longer.

I only had this thought because when I was buying backpacking backpacks, depending on your torso lengths, some backpacks can be too small or too big. I didnt know if it was something similar with underquilts. But it sounds like it is not. And its all about preference.
    Last edited by 2nd Breakfast; 07-27-2016 at 13:02. Reason: typo
    Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
    Pippin: What about breakfast?
    Aragorn: You've already had it.
    Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The 3/4 UQ is a compromise. Like Mark said it saves you weight, bulk, & $$$ in your summer kit.

In the summer most want to carry a smaller backpack and a full length UQ or giant winter tarp will just not fit.

summer pack 30L

Spring/Fall pack 55L

Real Winter(not a south of the mason dixon line winter haha) pack 90L

Typical summer rig

Typical Spring/Fall

Typical Winter

Thanks for the pics! I really enjoy when you post pics like that. It really makes me want to go out and hammock camp!

Unfortunately for me, I can only afford one quilt for now. So I think I may get a full length quilt since that will work for winter and it seems like I can vent it in the summer when it is hot out even though it will be heavier than a dedicated summer quilt.

Images
    You are welcome. One of my jobs as a mod around here is to promote hammock camping and nothing get me more excited to get out there between the trees than picts and of vids folks doing it.

At your height I would go with a custom length UQ. No reason to have a foot or more of extra material, weight, and bulk to carry. Measure from your shoulder to your feet and add 4"to 6" that should do it. Good luck

Picking a temp rating for your UQ is yet another very tricky task. There is no one quilt temp rating to rule them all. What nite time temps do you camp in 80% of the time? Add 10 degrees to that and you will be much happier. There are more 0 degree quilts sold in the FS section than any other temp rating.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-27-2016 at 11:39.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    At you height I would go with a custom length UQ. No reason to have a foot or more of extra material, weight, and bulk to carry. Measure from your shoulder to your feet and add 4" that should do it. Good luck
    Ahh that was sort of the information I was looking for. I like the shoulder to your feet + 4".

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm 69" tall. Hammockgear's SHORT full length Incubator is 73" and fits me perfect. Couldn't be happier with that setup. It's as short as I want to go and still be covered 100%. I forgot to mention it was the first photo on the previous page.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm 69" tall. Hammockgear's SHORT full length Incubator is 73" and fits me perfect. Couldn't be happier with that setup. It's as short as I want to go and still be covered 100%. I forgot to mention it was the first photo on the previous page.

Cool! So that goes past your head to past your feet? how much extra room do you have beyond the top of your head to the bottom of your feet?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Breakfast View Post
    Cool! So that goes past your head to past your feet? how much extra room do you have beyond the top of your head to the bottom of your feet?
    Right at the top of my head and maybe 3" past my feet. I don't need it under my head at all since I have a stuff sack of clothes as a pillow. But it's still nice for when I scoot way up in the morning to have breakfast from the hammock That leaves me with most of my backside still insulated.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Right at the top of my head and maybe 3" past my feet. I don't need it under my head at all since I have a stuff sack of clothes as a pillow. But it's still nice for when I scoot way up in the morning to have breakfast from the hammock That leaves me with most of my backside still insulated.
    That is really good to know. I'm actually 4 inches shorter than you, so its good to know that the short incubator will be more than enough for me.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Breakfast View Post
    That is really good to know. I'm actually 4 inches shorter than you, so its good to know that the short incubator will be more than enough for me.
    Plenty long. You could even get stingy and do a shorter custom, but the price difference would be very small and not worth it IMO. I do feel like that 3/4 should work for you though. Maybe it's the difference in brands between yours and mine. Or how you're laying. Lots of variables I guess.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    If you are not careful you can over think the length of a UQ. This is also a personal choice and what you will find is what one hanger likes or suggest will differ from the next guy. Unfortunately the best way to find out what you like is to purchase and try or go to a hang and test. Your general guild lines are reasonable so it's really going to be a personal endeavor. I would say start with the first "big" decision is do you want a full length or short. Then decide on what you will supplement the short with and go from there. I personally like full length UQ that go from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet and this isn't too hard for me as I'm only 5' 9".
    +1 to all of this good advice.

I am a relative newcomer to hammock camping, but I have been doing a lot of it in recent months, and I've done a lot of research before buying or making quilts of various types.

I like a partial-length UQ like the AGE Jarbidge River 3S in warmer weather for its space and weight savings in my pack, but when it gets cold (say below 50°F) I prefer a full-length UQ with more coverage and less fiddle factor. I'm 6'2", and I'm currently in the process of making myself an 80" x 45" synthetic UQ, similar to an LLG Cayenne Pepper.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast