Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool My First DIY Top Quilt

Type/Rating: 40-degree F synthetic top quilt
    Outer Shell: Epsilon 1.55 oz ripstop nylon in Multicam
    Inner Shell: 1.1 oz ripstop nylon in Coyote Brown
    Insulation: Climashield Apex 3.6
    Construction: Rectangular (no taper), zippered footbox with drawcord closure and security tie
    Finished Size: Approx. 77" long x 59" wide
    Weight: Approx 24 oz

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Wow nicely done. I had played around with the idea of doing a apex top quilt. Never thought to use a zipper instead of snaps or Velcro.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    looks really nice. Might have to try making one of those someday... Just add it to the list of things I want to make lol

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by kev138 View Post
    Wow nicely done. I had played around with the idea of doing a apex top quilt. Never thought to use a zipper instead of snaps or Velcro.
    Thanks! I kept the basic design really simple, so I could concentrate on the details and the order of assembly.

I originally bought some Omni Tape to do the vertical closure on the footbox, for which I was going to insert some grosgrain ribbon in the seam as a base. I decided at the last minute to sew a heavy-duty 22-inch separating zipper to the grosgrain first before sewing them into the seam (see photos), in place of the Omni Tape. I had to pay careful attention to which side of the zipper went into which seam and in which direction, but I figured it out, and I used masking tape to hold the grosgrain/zipper sections in place for pinning and stitching, which worked like a charm.

The perpendicular 1-inch grosgrain is a security tie at the top of the zipper to keep in the footbox zipped during the night; I recommend adding something like that whether you use a zipper or Velcro on your footbox. I wanted a zip/drawcord footbox for versatility, since I like being able to use my quilt as a throw blanket too, but if yours is dedicated to the hammock you can always just flat-sew it. I've also seen quilts that use a series of ties like mine in conjunction with a drawcord at the end. Mine is 1/8" shock cord and goes through a folded channel of double-stitched 3-inch grosgrain with the ends doubled to strength. I also added a grosgrain hanging loop at the bottom for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMyhre View Post
    looks really nice. Might have to try making one of those someday... Just add it to the list of things I want to make lol
    Thank you very much

FWIW tonight I'm hanging in my hammock under this top quilt as I write this with no UQ (just a pad between the double layers of my SLD Trail Lair) with no tarp. The temperature is currently in the 60s and due to hit the mid-50s by dawn, but this new quilt seems super-warm right now!
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-27-2016 at 00:18.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 20* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Nice work! I didn't taper mine either so I can use it as blanket from time to time

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hungh13 View Post
    Nice work! I didn't taper mine either so I can use it as blanket from time to time
    Thanks. I like having the TQ function as a warm throw blanket all the way open when used outside the hammock, and this one will almost cover the top surface of a queen-size bed. I also have relatively long legs and like to be able to move my feet and knees around easily while I'm awake and lounging in my hammock. Once I'm asleep, I don't think I budge, though!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very well done! Like that zippered bottom.
    I need to start using my Machine!!
    Lol.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    That's a nice looking TQ, kitsapcowboy! Good sew job. Wish I had used a little cam on mine instead of all one color.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryDaddyBird View Post
    Very well done! Like that zippered bottom...
    Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by wa4chq View Post
    That's a nice looking TQ, kitsapcowboy! Good sew job. Wish I had used a little cam on mine instead of all one color.
    Many thanks, guys.

The zipper (in conjunction with the 1" grosgrain security tie) has worked out extraordinarily well so far. I've slept in this quilt every night since I made it, and the design and dimensions have definitely met my expectations. Piecing together the zipper, sewn on a grosgrain base, in the correct orientation between the shell layers, unseen inside the quilt as I sewed it was definitely the most challenging construction step, but everything worked out. I also wound up having to use the wider 3" grosgrain ribbon instead of 2.5" for the drawcord channel just because everything at he bottom edge was getting pretty bulky as I endeavored to close up the quilt. I stitched the innermost of two rows of ribbon stitches on the outer shell of the quilt to anchor he channel in place -- since that's the aid I wanted to look good; then I folded the ribbon around the drawcord (1/8" shock cord) to form the channel, turned the ends under for strength, matched the ribbon's overlap on the inside of the quilt to that on the outside, pinned everything in place, and then sewed along the very outside edge of the ribbon with the inner shell of the quilt face up. This final row of stitching tacked down the channel inside the quilt and gave some extra security -- and a more finished look -- to the outside. Everything functions to spec, which gratifies me.

I'm glad you like the camouflage pattern I chose, wa4chq. I me some Multicam...

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-28-2016 at 14:33.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks good! Thanks for the ideas for another project!
    "All alone in the night, I had my own thoughts..." ~Kerouac, On the Road

"Help me mamma, for I have grinned..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast