Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images

From the Couch to the Hammock

Hey Everyone,

I just posted a new article on our blog:

From the Couch to the Hammock: Why Do We Hammock?

There may not be anything new in the article to the people on this forum, but I do find that I get curious looks when I tell people we camp in hammocks when we're out hiking and backpacking. If you do as well, you could point them to this article as a conversation starter. Thanks and Enjoy!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Marlinspk/whoopie
    Images
    Good article!

"Here’s the thing: as a late teen/twenty something year old Marine, it really didn’t bother me so much. I could drop down in the dirt and go right to sleep. However, as an almost 50 year old man, the thought of sleeping on the ground is not appealing, to say the least."
    I used to dislike camping because even as a teen and early 20 something, sleeping on the ground made me hurt all over. But I loved being outside. Then a friend turned me on to hammocking and now I'm in the woods all the time - even night time! Awesome!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I just want to say again how much I enjoy your articles. I have been reading your posts for the past few days. And this is another well written one. It's really funny how you mentioned you missed your hammock sitting down. I did the exact same thing the other night!
    Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
    Pippin: What about breakfast?
    Aragorn: You've already had it.
    Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Hennessy Standard
    Loved the article. Reminded me about the Vietnam era jungle hammock I slept in when camping as a kid.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    Good article!

I used to dislike camping because even as a teen and early 20 something, sleeping on the ground made me hurt all over. But I loved being outside. Then a friend turned me on to hammocking and now I'm in the woods all the time - even night time! Awesome!
    To me, somehow, the experience is more complete, or richer, when I spend the night out. I love a good day hike, but I do really enjoy sleeping outdoors. Hammocks have made that much more enjoyable =)

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Breakfast View Post
    I just want to say again how much I enjoy your articles. I have been reading your posts for the past few days. And this is another well written one. It's really funny how you mentioned you missed your hammock sitting down. I did the exact same thing the other night!
    Thanks 2nd breakfast! Yeah, when I did that I was showing off my new hammock setup to my son. It was pretty embarrassing haha. We both got a good laugh out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MGLion View Post
    Loved the article. Reminded me about the Vietnam era jungle hammock I slept in when camping as a kid.

Thanks MGLion. That's how Tom Hennessey of Hennessey Hammocks got started! My hammock from Thailand is a different style, I'll post about it sometime with some pictures. It's very small by today's standards but I took many a good nap in it back in the day!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Hennessy Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    To me, somehow, the experience is more complete, or richer, when I spend the night out. I love a good day hike, but I do really enjoy sleeping outdoors. Hammocks have made that much more enjoyable =)

Thanks 2nd breakfast! Yeah, when I did that I was showing off my new hammock setup to my son. It was pretty embarrassing haha. We both got a good laugh out of it.

Thanks MGLion. That's how Tom Hennessey of Hennessey Hammocks got started! My hammock from Thailand is a different style, I'll post about it sometime with some pictures. It's very small by today's standards but I took many a good nap in it back in the day!
    Yes my old one (GI) was rectangular and had sleeves that allowed it convert into a stretcher.

Semper Fi
    79-88

• + New Posts