Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    According to the calculator, the anchors should be at 58.1 inches, the ridgeline at 109.56 inches, 12.7 inches of suspension length, if you want a 20 inch sit height with anchors 11' apart.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    According to the calculator, the anchors should be at 58.1 inches, the ridgeline at 109.56 inches, 12.7 inches of suspension length, if you want a 20 inch sit height with anchors 11' apart.
    Thank you guys so much. I never thought to use the calc on the new hammock. I'll do that and hopefully i can sleep
    Mexicano por toda la vida!!! Hammocks are comfy! Soccer, Track and Field, Technology, 3D Printing, Dog... What more could I ask for?.. More hammocks?!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    First, get off the computer and into your bed and get some proper sleep. 2 days if needed.

When you get back, understand this is all opinion on our parts since we're not you as far as fit and feel for your hang.

That said, there are some variables at play here and anchor point height is just one. Having the hammock end almost at the anchor point will make it hard for the dynamic forces on the hammock and very short suspension to help you. There is usually some stretch in the suspension from dynamic pull while you hang even if you use Amsteel or other "non stretch" cordage or suspension.

You are going to have to change one variable at a time until you get your sweet spot. The 83% SRL is just a beginning and your end distance can be way different especially if you're used to Mayan Hammocks that are closer to 40* or more hang angle.

Adjust the anchor point height so you're in a sitting position in middle of hammock.
    Adjust the SRL 1" at a time starting at the 83% point in one direction. If it gets worse...
    Adjust the SRL 1" at a time starting at the 83% point in the other direction.
    After this feels better, adjust the foot end height 2" higher and head end 1" lower to see if this helps. If not back to starting point and adjust just the foot end.
    If none of this works, make the anchor points farther apart by moving them left or right to the strongest anchor point on the wall. Then repeat above.

Get plenty of sleep as needed before continuing your adjustments because being tired will not give you proper results as being fully alert.

Good luck with getting your perfect hang.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    By increasing the sag, you're just increasing the load on the suspension, that's all. Normally, with trees and webbing/huggers/whoopies, that's not a big deal. But especially when hanging at home, its important to know the force that you're putting on the walls, which essentially are your suspension. I hear stories of folks breaking 4x4's when they put up hanging posts of that size in their yards, so I'd be a little leary of putting additional forces on your 2x4 studs.
    That is interesting, from my understanding the greater the angle the LESS the _lateral_ force for the tree/stud/ . And i also thought that the vertical force would work opposite the lateral force (for whatever angle of suspension) given the weight remains the same.

i.e. greater than 30degress is better for lateral force, which is what would seem to be the weak direction for a stud.

I am *really* interested in others understanding on this.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    First, get off the computer and into your bed and get some proper sleep. 2 days if needed.

When you get back, understand this is all opinion on our parts since we're not you as far as fit and feel for your hang.

That said, there are some variables at play here and anchor point height is just one. Having the hammock end almost at the anchor point will make it hard for the dynamic forces on the hammock and very short suspension to help you. There is usually some stretch in the suspension from dynamic pull while you hang even if you use Amsteel or other "non stretch" cordage or suspension.

You are going to have to change one variable at a time until you get your sweet spot. The 83% SRL is just a beginning and your end distance can be way different especially if you're used to Mayan Hammocks that are closer to 40* or more hang angle.

Adjust the anchor point height so you're in a sitting position in middle of hammock.
    Adjust the SRL 1" at a time starting at the 83% point in one direction. If it gets worse...
    Adjust the SRL 1" at a time starting at the 83% point in the other direction.
    After this feels better, adjust the foot end height 2" higher and head end 1" lower to see if this helps. If not back to starting point and adjust just the foot end.
    If none of this works, make the anchor points farther apart by moving them left or right to the strongest anchor point on the wall. Then repeat above.

Get plenty of sleep as needed before continuing your adjustments because being tired will not give you proper results as being fully alert.

Good luck with getting your perfect hang.

You're probably right. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Here is another hang calculator you can use,
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ulator001.xlsx

--
    Gadget
    How do I use it?
    Mexicano por toda la vida!!! Hammocks are comfy! Soccer, Track and Field, Technology, 3D Printing, Dog... What more could I ask for?.. More hammocks?!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT
    Ok guys i have everything right for now except that i'm still 86" up (will fix soon) but when i sit in the hammock the ridgline droops down instead of gets tighter... Is that normal?

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT
    It is taught before i get in!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaalpha View Post
    That is interesting, from my understanding the greater the angle the LESS the _lateral_ force for the tree/stud/ . And i also thought that the vertical force would work opposite the lateral force (for whatever angle of suspension) given the weight remains the same.

i.e. greater than 30degress is better for lateral force, which is what would seem to be the weak direction for a stud.

I am *really* interested in others understanding on this.
    You increase sag by shortening the adj RL, which pulls the suspension to a lesser angle, and therefore, greater load on the suspension and what its attached to. That calculator GadgetUK437 sent shows that. Unfortunately, its locked for that section where you would adjust the RL length to see what the other forces do.

EDIT: oops, my bad, I did misread your first post and missed the "fixed" RL part, thinking the 92" was what you adjusted it to. Still, all I said applies, just maybe not to your setup.

p.s. head and feet typically go with the knotty mods, not opposite; the reason for the knotty mod is to keep floppy fabric off your face, and keep your feet (and whatever they're in) from pushing out and over the edge.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 07-26-2016 at 20:35. Reason: misreading of original post
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT
    Wow guys. It does feel much nicer. But anyway i've been wondering... Which side of the hammock is for your head? The one with the knotty mod pull things or the side without them?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast