Cramped leg space

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Hennessy Hammock - Expedition Classic, and spent a week at boy scout camp using it every day. First impression is that I'll never sleep on the ground again. It was so much better than tent camping.

I setup and took down the hammock a half dozen times, learning throughout the process on how far apart, and and much slack to put in the lines. After watching a couple videos I think I got the hang of it, but I do have two questions, which might be related:

First question is that I always seemed to have a fabric seam or fabric vein in my hammock. Basically unless I slept on a foam pad, it was too uncomfortable as there was always at least one bunch of fabric digging into my legs. This didn't seem to be a big deal, and the foam pad fixed the issue, but I wanted to make sure it was normal with my hammock. Someone else in camp had another hammock that I tried and I didn't notice this in theirs. The material in their hammock spread evenly and was more comfortable without a pad. I assume I could have slept in their hammock without a pad, which is something I wasn't able to do with mine.

Question number two, I spent a fair amount of time trying to find the hammock sweet spot, and although I slept fairly well, it did appear that my "outside" leg was always a bit cramped against the outer side of the hammock fabric. I'm 5 10" and weight 180lbs, and the hammock felt a bit tight. Since I'm not that big I was bit surprised that one of my legs always seemed cramped, and it was hard to find a comfortable position with both legs fully extended. Once again, I didn't have this issue when testing out my buddies hammock.

Thank for any input

Aaron

Hammock
    HH Expedition (zip)
    Tarp
    Stock Asym/Monsoon
    Suspension
    Biners w/o rings
    Hi Aaron,

My first week experience in a Hennessy was similar to yours. We have the same hammock and we are roughly the same size.

What I have learned is not to have the hammock drum tight. Even if it takes a bit of effort to get the straps higher on the tree, I will do it. I find that the steeper the angle of the suspension, the more comfortable the Expedition is; to a point. The 30 degree rule, mentioned on this site and throughout the internet is a good guideline to find what is most comfortable for you.

Cheers,

Mario

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    What you're feeling under your legs is referred to as calf ridge. There are a million+ posts about it. I have no experience with Hennesy's. Here's a few general things that can be tried.
    1. Adjust sag as supermario suggested.
    2. Raise the foot end higher than the head. 6"-12" ought to do it.
    3. Use a pillow or extra clothing under your knees.
    4. I find the figure 4 position helps me find the sweet spot very quickly.

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I find the figure 4 position helps me find the sweet spot very quickly.[/LIST]
    I find this works with either leg- whether I am laying left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    ^ Yup, I have to agree!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    A few things I have found with both of my HHs.

If I pull the suspension too tight, it will give me a calf ridgeline so leave it loose enough to wrap it around your finger a time or two. Check out the video's on HH web site. Tom explains much better than I can.

If the trees are too close together, for some reason, I will end up with a calf ridgeline. I now try to find my trees about 17 to 22 feet apart. No clue why this is but I have proved it in my back patch of woods.

Hang the foot end higher than the head end of the hammock. For me it is about a good 6 inches higher that works best but you will have to play with it.

Last but not least, I turn over on my side and curl up like I do in my bed...poof...no calf ridgeline. I only have the ridgeline when I am on my back so I just don't sleep on my back any more.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hennessy actually recommends to "Adjust hammock until centered and ridge line is level and under light tension.". I have a three hammocks, and while the 30º set-up angle works great with my two Warbonnets, my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe is much more comfortable with a tight ridgeline. I also find, that putting the Hennessy between the widest pair of trees also works better for me (16' to 20'). If at all possible, this is something you want to fiddle with and practice in your backyard.

Cheers

I'm 5'9" 165 lbs and have the same hammock. While I like and trust the Expedition, supermario is right on the money. Fiddle with the hang angle and see what changes. You can probably reduce but never eliminate the calf ridge in the Expedition. At least I never have. I'd also suggest that you are about at the height limit for that hammock. Yes, I know they say up to six feet tall. They're wrong.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I never got rid of the calf ridge with my Exped Asym Zip. I tried a simple, gathered end from BIAS (Weight Weenie Micro), then moved to a Dutch Netless, and I haven't had calf ridge since. In the Expedition, my calf used to cramp up something awful and it was tough to get out of the hammock (the only way I know to get rid of calf cramps is to stand up). I'm glad I found a solution.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is great information everyone, thanks for the help. Most of these items I "sorta" figured out on my own, but didn't realize it. I didn't realize the figure 4 position was a thing. I thought I was doing something wrong, but that is what I ended up doing most nights. I did play with the sag, and I think more sag and less tightness was better for me. It's very helpful to hear I'm going down the right path.

I'll have to continue testing out different configurations. Unfortunately I don't have two trees in my back yard. I'm trying to decide if I should put in two (removalble) posts about 18 feet apart, or if I should make the tri-pods I've seen discussed. It appears both would have pros and cons.

Thanks again,

Aaron

• + New Posts