Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Hi from Maryland!

Hi all, I'm Marshall and I'm posting this from the serene banks of the Chesapeake bay, here in Maryland. I just recently started hanging, however I grew up camping, backpacking and exploring the woods around the area I grew up in. As far as gear goes, my first hammock was just a simple diy whipped end that I made from a nylon/ satin kinda blended bed sheet lol. My 4yo daughter has since claimed that , so since I was still figuring all this hammock business out and I'm kind of on a limited budget for buying gear right now, I just bought a cheap Walmart Equip to start with ,an8x10 poly tarp for cover and a "20 degree" Ozark trail mummy bag. And it worked. Well, kind of. Being that my house is waterfront and I have a lot of woods around me I have a severe spider and bug issue to deal with. At first I made my own bug net of sorts using 2 pieces of flexible fiberglass screen draped from my ridgeline. That kinda worked but wasn't really giving me the full protection I needed. So I upgraded and bought the Equip mosquito net hammock. For only being $40 and from Walmart I'm vary impressed with it so far. Triple stitched, nice zippers, good construction. I did upgrade the suspension and used UST 1100 paracord in a small continuous loop thru the end channels with some webbing around the trees and I attach the two with a Beckett hitch. That got me able to sleep comftably but now I needed better weather protection. Enter the 10x10 Snugpag all weather shelter. Now im bug free and dry. Next step was to upgrade my method of staying warm. Since its summer I don't get too many nights below 70 here and the humidity is unreal at times. I did ditch the mummy bag and upgrade to the Snugpak TQ and Snugpak jungle blanket. So far I'm vary vary impressed with both of them. I did also pick up a USGI green patrol bag for $10 from amazon to supplement those on chillier nights. Here on the bay it can get vary windy and cool at times when the breeze is off the water. I have a lot of versatility with this system so far. But, the winters here can be crazy so I do need a decent UQ. Im currently getting ready to turn the jungle blanket into a diy UQ. I really want either the Snugpak or DD version, but I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE. I do plan on buying one or the other when the seasons change, but for now to get me through those cooler nights I'm gonna use the diy uq. If anyone has any tips to help me with it or a reasonably priced one for sale, please let me know. I had thought about the Snugpak cocoon for cold weather but the reviews of its construction are really bad. I think that's about it. I'm always looking to learn and would love to meet some fellow Marylanders and do a group hang this summer. I'm vary open to critique and all tips, help, comments and knowledge are welcome. I have watched all of Shugs vids and visited theultimatehang.com. A big thanks to both of those guys, they really inspired me to make my first hammock after about a month of toying with the idea.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looks like you're well on your way in the world of hammocking. Welcome to the forums from Marietta GA. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks. For a budget setup, so far I'm vary happy with it all. I spend as much time as I can out there, so I'm a little worried about the durability but no probs yet. Now I need a much bigger pack now so I can move out of the yard and " into the piney woods". One night I did manage to cram the bare bones essentials into my bag and hung about a mile from home in the woods. Cant wait to go on a real hike/ hang with some folks. Haven't converted my wife all the way yet, but my daughter loves it!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Good luck getting your wife converted. My wife and I love getting out in the "piney woods" together (there's a link to our blog in my signature if you're interested). I'm glad you and your daughter get to spend some quality time together in the out of doors!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Welcome from another MD'er.

Summer is my 'off' season here, due to my strong dislike of bugs and heat.

You definitely need to check out the spring and fall MAAHA group hangs - just up the road from us, >100 of your new best hammocking friends, vendors and family memebers.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Oh, I definatly hate bugs as well. And I have a HUGE spider issue right now. Until the temps drop an enclosed bug net is a deal breaker. Several mornings I woke up in my first two hammocks with my sleeping bag hanging out and touching the ground due to the cheap diy semi bug net I was using because it wasn't enclosed, it just made a soft seal of sorts. My first thoughts were "oh god how many spiders are in here with me right now" lol. That's when I spent the $40 on the second Equip and I haven't had anymore issues. Its def hotter inside, but I'm willing to sweat to stay bug free lol. I am def looking forward to my first group hang. Especially when the temps drop and its much easier to be comfortable. You can always add layers but most people don't like when you take them all off lol. If I can get my diy jungle blanket UQ completed successfully I'm good till the winter here I think. Then I'll buy either a cocoon/ pod or a decent UQ. I'm looking at either the eno ember2, DD or arrowhead UQ's. I need to stay around $100 so I'm kind of limited but I'm sure I'll find something. Just gotta get my diy UQ done first. I'm kinda nervous BC its my first sewing project and I don't wanna ruin the blanket tho.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Can anyone give me some tips on making the UQ ? Is folding it OK or should I cut it and sew the half's together? what about adding more insulation? Do I need baffles for synthetic stuff or would adding a piece of reflectix or somthing similar in the middle be OK? I have a good idea of how to sew the channels for the shock cord, I just don't wanna ruin it or male it crappy lol. I want it to be decent. Any help, ideas comments etc are appreciated. I'm even willing to pay someone on here if they are local to me to do it for me.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Hello from Harford County.

I folded my jungle blanket when I converted it into an UQ. You may have to run a stitch down the length of the fold to keep the insulation in place. I did, anyway. Then just channels on each side for the shock cord.

That said, I rarely use mine. I end up grabbing one of my other quilts because they're lighter.

Search youtube for PLUQ or poncho liner underquilt. Sewed version, not the no sew. Same principles for converting any kind of blanket to an UQ.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Hello from cecil county and thanks goat, I'll make sure I run a stitch down the folded length. That will also create a channel for the cord correct? Did you use cord locks on both sides of the long ends as well as the short ends? Do I need to add anything for a secondary suspension BC of the weight possibly pulling it back towards the center? Sorry for so many questions lol, I just wanna get it right the first time and not ruin the blanket in the process lol.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Hey Chesapeake, sorry for the slow reply. I don't hang in the summer, so I don't really check the forum often during the summer.

I didn't use the folded side of the blanket where I ran the stitch as a channel. I used ribbon to make the channels. I should have just used some ripstop for the channels though, the ribbon is too stout and makes it difficult to cinch.

I did use cord locks on all channels,and I also added a secondary suspension.

I am a total amateur at diy gear making. I only make stuff occasionally.

Here's mine if you're interested though.
    https://youtu.be/P_XTAM-1ouY
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast