DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

1.1 compared to 1.6 silpoly

I'm looking for a little input between a 1.1 and 1.6 oz silpoly. I have tried to search the 1.6, but unable to find a thread specifically about it. Checking on specs at Ripstop I see the 1.6 to be a more robust material.
    My primary usage for this tarp will be in winter conditions. Think snow and wind. Most likely I will be relatively close to the vehicle when using this tarp. If I've calculated properly the difference in weight is around 42%. Could be around an 8 oz difference with a 11' winter tarp.
    What I would like to know is whether or not 1.6 material is overkill. 1.1 seems to be the standard, but believe strongly in well built items.
    This is specifically the material I am looking at. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...ant=7946892929. Any input would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Yes the higher the number, the thicker it is, the heavier it is per square inch. The tarp I just posted about, the wilderness Logics Old Man Winter is 1.2 SilNylon. I used it's little brother, the Bullfrog (same fabric), this past winter, and it held up fine to strong winds, deep cold, and the one heavy snow storm it saw... In fact not much of the snow stuck to it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I ordered a SLD winter Haven in 1.1 but now am wondering if I should have gone 1.6??
    Will be watching the input on this topic.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryDaddyBird View Post
    I ordered a SLD winter Haven in 1.1 but now am wondering if I should have gone 1.6??
    Will be watching the input on this topic.
    Most likely I will be getting the 1.1 as well . There is nothing bad about it, it's just that the OES 10x10 that I currently use for winter seems a bit more robust than other tarps I have. The fact that this is not a backpacking tarp and will be used during the winter with possible snow loads is why I am considering it. I've also had issues in the past with "misting". Even though the 1.6 has the same hydrostatic rating, being a bit thicker can't hurt. Most likely none of this will matter. I've made weird changes when purchasing gear, some I liked and some I didn't.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Most likely I will be getting the 1.1 as well . There is nothing bad about it, it's just that the OES 10x10 that I currently use for winter seems a bit more robust than other tarps I have. The fact that this is not a backpacking tarp and will be used during the winter with possible snow loads is why I am considering it. I've also had issues in the past with "misting". Even though the 1.6 has the same hydrostatic rating, being a bit thicker can't hurt. Most likely none of this will matter. I've made weird changes when purchasing gear, some I liked and some I didn't.
    I like your thinking.
    I might get a 1.6 WH for longer winter trips and when camping close to my car.
    Read the specs on 1.6 silpoly and its pretty durable over 1.1.
    Well its to late for this one but i got this WH for hiking in to the woods and staying a week or two.
    Last edited by AngryDaddyBird; 07-24-2016 at 20:24.

• + New Posts