Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is Clark Jungle Hammock Worth the Extra Money?

I am new to hammock hanging and am wanting to purchase a new hammock. I have a Trek Light double I bought to see if I would like laying in a hammock. It did not come with a bug net so instead of a buying net for it I rather put the money towards a better hammock that has a bug net and a weather cover instead. I have narrowed the list down to 3 hammocks. Dream Hammocks Thunderbird, Warbonnet's Blackbird XLC and Clark's Jungle Hammock. I really like the Clark with its roomier hammock and the fact you can use the bug net and weather shield together but was wondering if any who have one think it is worth the extra money.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Since you asked I personally would say no especially if you want to ever back pack and take your hammock with you. These are a very heavy hammocks. Of the three this would be the last. The other two are very nice camping hammocks and the XLC can be had in a few days, the Dream Hammock takes a bit more time. I'm a BlackBird fan because I love the shelves built into the hammocks you can also use the bug net and protector for the Warbonnet at the same time as well.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I backpacker with my Clark Vertex 2 person for ages. When I found I was camping solo more often I picked up a new Clark Nx-270. Lightest? No, but the quality and features are outstanding. Cheapest? No, but then the details make it worth the while for me. I like the idea of some of the dream hammocks but by the time I spec what I want I'm close to the same price and it still hasn't got the features I enjoy. Would I add a dream? Yes, but it wouldn't replace my NX. Heavy for a hammock is a common phrase but its more like a suspended tent and much lighter than most tents. Amazingly enough people can still backpack with tents! Lol
    I still find it amusing how few people remember that the ultra light movement is recent. Ever wonder how much the native Americans carried or an average soldier? How about backpackers from 20+ years ago where light tents were closer to 10lbs? Have the people of today gone that soft?

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I've a Clark Tropical with the Climashield added . Didn't get the tarp . Changed out the suspension to whoopies . Use it 4 seasons. Clark has a sale maybe once a year. It's a bit heavier and bulkier but I find it's features and comfort worth it. It's quality gear.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I have the tx 270 hands down superior quality, is it heavy? yes but at the end of the day i want to sleep good and compfortable. I have been through 3 different hammocks. I used a skeeter beater for 3 years prior , and with my mods i found the clark offered what i was trying to achive. Wait for the yearly sale, this helped me with my decision. I went with tx 270 and like the 4 pockets, the nx has 6 pockets and for me its to much, most of stuff is hanging in my backpack on a tree. You cant go wrong with a clark. Good luck and happy hanging.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    I've a Clark Tropical with the Climashield added . Didn't get the tarp . Changed out the suspension to whoopies . Use it 4 seasons. Clark has a sale maybe once a year. It's a bit heavier and bulkier but I find it's features and comfort worth it. It's quality gear.
    Hickery does snore in his Clark.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qualitypro View Post
    I am new to hammock hanging and am wanting to purchase a new hammock. I have a Trek Light double I bought to see if I would like laying in a hammock. It did not come with a bug net so instead of a buying net for it I rather put the money towards a better hammock that has a bug net and a weather cover instead. I have narrowed the list down to 3 hammocks. Dream Hammocks Thunderbird, Warbonnet's Blackbird XLC and Clark's Jungle Hammock. I really like the Clark with its roomier hammock and the fact you can use the bug net and weather shield together but was wondering if any who have one think it is worth the extra money.
    In my opinion, all three of the hammocks that you have mentioned are worth thier asking price's, but i am a gearaholic and own all 3 !!
    The one i use the most is my Dream Hammock Thunderbird.
    I have found that if i need the top cover then i probably don't need the bugnet at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    In my opinion, all three of the hammocks that you have mentioned are worth thier asking price's, but i am a gearaholic and own all 3 !!
    The one i use the most is my Dream Hammock Thunderbird.
    I have found that if i need the top cover then i probably don't need the bugnet at the same time.
    Id love to have both the colder it got. Definitely not though outside of winter.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Seeing that my NX270 is a year round system I'd have to vote yes it's worth the price. What situation could come up that it could not deal with is beyond me. With the weather shield the only question I have is to tarp or not?

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    To hang in a hammock doesn't mean you have to walk around in the woods with a backpack. My NX-250 with tarp came with 2"tree straps,hammock suspension,tarp suspension,drip rings,guy lines,storm mode, cocoon mode, mosquito-proof fabric, intergral bug netting and weather shield not hanging in your face,off the ground storage, small storage pockets inside the hammock, and all of this is self contained in one stuff bag, and its all American made down to the thread they sew with. I'm not sure, I could be wrong, but I don't believe there's another hammock that does all this. I would like to add I sleep full time at home in an 11' Dutch netless that gives great sleep, and I use my DH Darien for warm weather road trips, and it's top shelf for that purpose. HYOH

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast