Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    There's more than one way to skin a cat. I made a contraption designed to enhance the Asym tarp experience but could be used with any tarp. Came in at 10 ounces...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMgWfQZPBjI
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Have you seen the Sierra Madre Research Nube? It has bugnet hanging under and attached to the tarp. Here's a link to a discussion here on HF: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...highlight=Nube
    This is what i was thinking. Actually looks highly functional evem ifd not the prettiest thing.

I'm gonna smack whoever thinks that nube thing can be recreated by the intermediate sewer. $300 for the thing, does that come with turn down service and a mint on your pillow?

Very nice Grapenut, I can see where the lower water proof part would help from water spashup if it started raining buckets and the tarp was pitched high.

Zukiguy I am setting us up to island camp at the nearby lake, so I don't want the bugnet too heavy and bulky even if we do car camp (it would be jeep camp for us). No kids so two under one tarp is possible, I am planning on making two simple square tarps in case we need it (or was until the hubby started thinking up a bugnet princess palace). Yes it would be a couples retreat but we have a few friends that we would invite (adults only!)
    Last edited by NotJustGingerly; 07-23-2016 at 18:15.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I would have to say that this is not a good idea.

You may have good weather and lots of bugs.

If you like to watch the stars you are unable to.

If you connect to the hammock or have a stand alone bugnet you can still enjoy the environment.

I have also noticed a lack of bugs when it rains.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    My wife and I hang on canoe trips only, so weight is not so much an issue as for backpackers. We used the Eureka VCS 13 but found that it wasn't ideal.

My hammocks have integrated bug nets and my wife use a Fronkey style bug net. When the bugs are insane, we need a bug shelter to change clothes and wash-up, so we made one using no-see-um. It's just large enough for one person and is very light. It's been working really well for us. The one we made is similar to this one from REI, but with a smaller foot print and higher peak.

Last edited by HammockCanoe; 07-25-2016 at 12:26.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I considered something like this, but my thought was, I'd really only need it in the area in front of the hammock where I get in and out of it. so instead of sewing it to your tarp, consider a fronkey style net, that hangs from a ridgeline. on one side it's like normal and hangs down next to your hammock, but on the side you get in your hammock from, it extends as a net ceiling over from the ridgeline to inner-loops at the side-pulls... or made to work with a pole mod ... creating basically an enclosed netting wedge with a zipper up the middle of one side that you can stand in and get changed without being eaten alive. It would still be more material, but much less than going around the whole tarp, plus not permanantly attached to the tarp. I would use a strip of webbing around the base of it too to act as a weight, keeping the bottom edge on the ground, and not flapping around in the breeze letting bugs in.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I'm with jadekayak. I only have my tarp up if it's going to rain. Otherwise, I want to enjoy the view. A separate bug net and tarp lets me determine my setup based on conditions.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    IMG_20160724_184103.jpg add ports for suspension and your ready to hang. I think we got this at Kmart a few years ago.I was thinking of do the same thing as we have spiders really bad BC we live on the water

Thank you everyone who has responded! It really helps to hear what others think. After reading your input, much thought (my brain hurts) and a serious discussion of concerns, needs, and wants with the hubby, in reality he wants a bug net with no zipper due to some bad tent incidents he has had trying to get out in the middle of the night. I am going to do a cocoon style with a bungee cord opening at the bottom, he really liked the pre-made ones and I know I can pull one off. I can also attach something glow in the dark so he can find the opening too.

It has been refreshing for me to think about how I'm going to sleep in the woods and eliminate the things I hate about tents. I also pointed out to him my goals of making our gear: to make what we need cheaper than buying it already made, and not to reinvent the wheel. I can make everything for less than half of what it costs to buy it pre-made and with better materials, and put the cost savings towards other gear (like a rechargeable lightweight flashlight for the hubby, so he can see what he's doing in the dark).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12