Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Attaching bug net directly to tarp

Help me out guys... Now that I have some things figured out and want to DIY a hammock setup, the hubby wants me to change things and attach the bug net directly to the rainfly/tarp. I think it's an idea to explore because I haven't seen anything like this so far, but the more I think about it, the more I think it isn't going to work. We need to be able to adjust the tarp according to the hang, conditions, etc, and considering the adjustments alone makes figuring out how to attach the netting a nightmare. It would probably need twice as much netting as well. I see many wasted hours and yards of wasted tarp material and bug netting in my future.

So, has anyone considered this?
    Last edited by NotJustGingerly; 07-23-2016 at 09:12.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I have considered this, but haven't done it yet. I am waiting to do it when I create my next tarp. I plan on having about 2 foot of netting attached to the bottom of the tarp. This would allow me to hand the tarp all the way against the ground or off the ground 1.5 feet for airflow during the summer.

I personally like the idea of being fully protected and not being stuck in my hammock away from the flying blood suckers aka. Mosquitos.
    Last edited by lubbockhammockguy; 07-23-2016 at 09:24.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    If you're not going to have to carry it (car camping only) I can see where this might be an option. As you mentioned though, you're looking at many times as much netting to cover a much bigger area. You'll just have to leave the edges really long so they reach all the way to the ground. I think what you'll end up with is a floorless puptent with a roof of tarp and the walls/doors of netting. I'm guessing you'll want some kind of edging at the very bottom other than net. The net tends to stick to the forest duff like glue. Maybe add some loops to put a few stakes at the corners to keep them from blowing around. I say this project is doable but not terribly practical.

Is this something you're planning to hang just one hammock under or is this some kind of couples retreat? I've had a similar thought about modifying a tent to do the same thing. My kids and I stay in a Kelty 6-person. This one is too small for the purpose but a friend is about to retire a huge multi-room beast. It might be worth cutting it down into so kind of screen house and adding some ports for the suspension.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by NotJustGingerly View Post
    Help me out guys... Now that I have some things figured out and want to DIY a hammock setup, the hubby wants me to change things and attach the bug net directly to the rainfly/tarp. I think it's an idea to explore because I haven't seen anything like this so far, but the more I think about it, the more I think it isn't going to work. We need to be able to adjust the tarp according to the hang, conditions, etc, and considering the adjustments alone makes figuring out how to attach the netting a nightmare. It would probably need twice as much netting as well. I see many wasted hours and yards of wasted tarp material and bug netting in my future.

So, has anyone considered this?
    Do a search for Eureka VCS 13 and Nemo Bugout series for ideas.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/shop/te...pe=screenRooms
    http://theultimatehang.com/2013/05/n...t-9x9-shelter/

https://youtu.be/Xd_iVqhSabE

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I have often thought about it but when i have worked it all out to need loads of bug netting for coverage and it just adds a lot of weight.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Have you seen the Sierra Madre Research Nube? It has bugnet hanging under and attached to the tarp. Here's a link to a discussion here on HF: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...highlight=Nube

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    The net tends to stick to the forest duff like glue.
    In my opinion, this would be the be the worst part! The "walls of no-see-um" tent-style tarp would be cool, except picking out pine needles the entire trip.
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Sgt. Rock's bug hut concept looks cool, but needs to be set up on somewhat level ground and the use of a ground cover to avoid damage from standing on the bug net to get at the very inconveniently zipper access at one end. The netting is not attached to the tarp.
    The Hammock Bliss sky tent is definitely in the right direction, but looks like a mathematical & sewing nightmare to recreate, thus reasoning why they get $150.

Hammock
    HH and Eno Double
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    No need in FL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rep Rings
    I can see it. Kinda like how the eno guardian is. I'm thinking you can sew it into the ridge line seam and let it hang down under the hammock. Also you can come down a foot on both sides of the ridge line and sew a 1 inch pleat into the tarp and attach the bug net to those tabs and then sew the bug net along the hemmed edge. If the hammock is going to be hung the same distance from the tarp then add about a 6 inch strip velcro to where the suspension would pass through. I do not know how well that would would just something I can imagine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast